Oshkosh Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews

Charles L. Szews

Pros
  • Good pay for the area as a blue collar worker(in 4 reviews)

• I was fortunate to work with some great people at Oshkosh, and the pay was good for what I did as a temp(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No real internal career paths are defined, nor are dept moves encouraged within the company(in 3 reviews)

• Bad management practices and poor union support(in 4 reviews)

Decent opportunities, could use some improvements in the culture

Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsPlenty of responsibilities. It's a large corporation, so there are plenty of different opportunities. Many young workers

ConsWork hours can be excessive.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more flexible work schedules, do a better job encouraging professional development.

Treated like a number, not a person.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsI believe in their mission to protect those (Warfighters), who protect us. The vehicles Oshkosh makes are second to none, they are quality vehicles that literally save lives everyday.
    The benefits are fair.

ConsHR and some members of the leadership team treat people (even a salaried employee like myself) as a number and don't take individual circumstances into consideration. The management is top-down only. Those with ideas or concerns on the bottom (manager and down) do not have a voice and will not be heard.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those that are doing the work at the bottom and mid-levels, give them a forum, give them a voice. Leadership does not have a handle on what is happening at those levels and they continue to make changes without asking those people their thoughts. In many cases, the changes end up doing more harm than good. If you would ask people at the manager level and below for insight, you can prevent a lot of unnecessary hardship as well as saving time and money.

Expect More, pay less

Industrial Engineer (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsIt has a demanding customer, and is a fast paced manufacturer. There are plenty of opportunities for improvements, and the chance to work on many big projects. Products are very cool, and serving the customer is rewarding.

ConsThe expectation of working more hours. Never ending work load and a lack of training. Old-boy network controls promotions, and there is an overall resistance to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth, low raises are an insult. Actually show that you value your workforce by listening to them. Maybe consider embracing 20th century (or even 21st!) management methods.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company but work life balance isn't the best

Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsGreat company with great strong values. The CEO is very good for the company and trustworthy.

ConsWork life balance is impossible, you will be required to work 60 hours weeks and weekends during busy months without notice.

current employee

General Assembler (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsOverall good place to work minus management..great pay and good benefits.. Met alot of great people who I work with also.

Consclueless management and lack of knowledge on how to properly run departments and not willing to listen to production employees when given advice on something.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to learn to work with production employees alot better.. When given ideas on how to make our jobs easier listen to us and not ignore us and do it your own ways.. Need to put safety and quality first and not always numbers over quality... Do quality over numbers and alot of money would not be wasted doing work over several times to fix an issue.

Enjoyed my time their

Assembler (Former Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsManagement cares for its employees more then the workers think.

ConsSome of the lower level managers think they are God.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective in the lower level mamgers that they hire.

I met a lot of good people there, but due to their contract with my staffing agency no chance for a permenant job .

Janitor (Former Employee) Appleton, WI

ProsSimply put it was the co-workers , good people & hard workers.

ConsProduct, both incoming and outgoing was priority one, workers were replaceable , on a daily basis if required.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the people working for you the feeling that they mean as much to the company as the products they move, load, and unload . Keeping 98% of the core work force on a permenant yet temporary status fails to foster personal pride in the jobs being performed or to the company they are working for. Lack of health care and benefits due to non permenant employment is also very negative among the work force.

Review Of Oshkosh Truck

Senior Defense Financial Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsThe company builds trucks for the military that saves lives. In addition Oshkosh builds fire trucks and snow plows. All of the trucks are the best.

ConsThe company does not have current state of the art business systems. Their accounting, billing, estimating and purchasing systems are weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementPurchase an ERP system such as Oracle or SAP.

Great Products, Great Opportunities

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsI would say that the people are great. Mid-level and senior management almost have all worked their way up from the lower levels, so they are easily approachable, no-nonsense and knowledgeable. Benefits are good. Preferential treatment is given to current employees for positions. Upward moves into different types of positions are usually easier than within your current job designation (for example, if you are an admin, moving into contracts or project management, rather than to an executive level admin).

ConsNo lunchrooms (there are kitchens), projects often require lots of overtime from all staff, however many people see the project (often for military) as vitally important not only to the business but for our soldiers as well, so the overtime is usually not viewed as a huge inconvenience. Administrative promotions are usually not based on performance, but done personally.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease communication between departments and divisions, really work on the One-Oshkosh philosophy. When undergoing new projects talk to the admins, they know what is going on and usually have useful input.

Busy

Team Coordinator (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsOshkosh Truck offers someone the opportunity to develop yourself as a person and as a leader. There are plenty of opportunities for challenging yourself.

ConsThe shifts are kind of awkward and makes it so that it is hard to have time for anything else for you to do with your day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in mind the thoughts of the workers, if management works for them the workers will work harder for the management.

Worked for Oshkosh Corporation? Contribute to the Community!