Oshkosh Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews

Charles L. Szews

Pros
  • Good pay for the area as a blue collar worker(in 4 reviews)

• I was fortunate to work with some great people at Oshkosh, and the pay was good for what I did as a temp(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No real internal career paths are defined, nor are dept moves encouraged within the company(in 3 reviews)

• Bad management practices and poor union support(in 4 reviews)

This company is the devil incarnate!!!!!

Driver (Former Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsThe money....but the bullcrap you have to put up with hardly makes it worth it.

ConsThere isn't enough room here to list all the ways they violate employees rights. A herd of cattle at a slaughter house are treated with more respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out while you can.

Very Bad.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Benefits and health insurance is very good.

ConsBad management practices and poor union support.

Advice to Senior ManagementRedirect your ideas

Miserable

Team Coordinator (Former Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsThe people and the product.

ConsGood old boy network, long hours, little to no recognition

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the good old boy network, embrace the employee's that do the work and try and work with the union instead of against it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big company, small vision

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsOshkosh is the market leader in tactical wheeled vehicles for all branches of the military. They make GREAT vehicles. Recent emphasis in the global market is encouraging.

ConsOshkosh does not see the big picture when it comes to life cycle customer support. The aftermarket support is minimal at best and not taken seriously by upper leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementResearch other business segments, like aviation, to better understand the revenue potential after the sale of the vehicle to the customer. Way too much emphasis is given to the next big contract when more emphasis should be supporting the customers Oshkosh already has.

Treated like a number, not a person.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsI believe in their mission to protect those (Warfighters), who protect us. The vehicles Oshkosh makes are second to none, they are quality vehicles that literally save lives everyday.
    The benefits are fair.

ConsHR and some members of the leadership team treat people (even a salaried employee like myself) as a number and don't take individual circumstances into consideration. The management is top-down only. Those with ideas or concerns on the bottom (manager and down) do not have a voice and will not be heard.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those that are doing the work at the bottom and mid-levels, give them a forum, give them a voice. Leadership does not have a handle on what is happening at those levels and they continue to make changes without asking those people their thoughts. In many cases, the changes end up doing more harm than good. If you would ask people at the manager level and below for insight, you can prevent a lot of unnecessary hardship as well as saving time and money.

What a Nightmare- Avoid at All Cost

Fed Up (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsThere are indeed alot of opportunities for growth, if only you had any authority to exercise those opportunities. There are current openings available at the company. The last is a great reason to apply if you are desperate for a job.

ConsUpper level management is clueless along with other corporate departments on what needs to be done to take care of current issues. The entire company is a clique and if you aren't in the group, you will get nowhere. The character of corporate mid level leadership is not good. These people beat you into the ground to promote themselves all the while being poor civil examples for the rest of the company. This makes it extremely difficult to do the right thing and get anywhere above your position. The work life balance is considered an average of 60/hrs/wk with no OT. This makes our turnover rate astronomical with salaried people.

The insurance packages the company offers to its salary staff are shameful compared to what they dole out to the union workforce. You cannot have an illness. Regardless, you will pay upwards of $150/month as an individual for insurance and still have a $1750 deductible. Otherwise you can pay $100/month and have a $3000 deductible. If you have a family like me, best of luck. The company is truly being unfair with their benefits. They dont match 401k anywhere near what other corporations are offering. 50% match up to 6%. All of these things give me reason to seek employment elsewhere. Best of luck to all fellow employees, Im getting out of here as soon as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the program. Understand that what you are doing is driving your employees away. You can't keep promoting the people that buy you rounds at the bar and depend on them to do the right thing. You have been bought and you need to right the ship before it sinks. Yes, military contracts are great but when you are done selling trucks on your last contract, where will you go from here? A strong workforce will stand behind you. Your current workforce however, won't be left standing.

Sales

Sales Director (Current Employee) Limburg an der Lahn (Germany)

ProsThe products itself are phantastic. The particular markets are interesting and the customers are people with a warm and helpful character.

ConsThey have problems with their inner structure. They did not appoint someone yet being responsible for Europe. So there is no leading for Europe. The local management is doing something without control.

Advice to Senior ManagementResponsibilty cannot be divided. They must learn that the poeple who take responsibility need to have also the power for decisions.

Work hard, no reward.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis was a Manufacturing company that employed a dedicated workforce. The employees do what it takes to get projects done. They have pride in their finished products.

ConsManagement style and executive team is ineffective. Often heard it referred to as the"old boys network." Expectation for salaried employees is to work a lot of hours without compensation or recognition. No employee development programs or career development paths. Company is disjointed among divisions. No real company loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to implement diversity, employee development and recognition and a communicative culture.

Could be much better...

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Oshkosh, WI

Pros1. Exciting vehicles and products.
    2. Opportunity to work on DoD projects and directly assist our war fighters.
    3. Fast-paced engineering and design environment. Something new every day.
    4. Still some experienced and highly intelligent people left to work with on ground floor.

Cons1. High level of effort and sacrifice expected, but not willing to pay for it. Salary structure is behind the times and not market competitive. Yearly increases are routinely behind inflation.
    2. Managers are very stuck on themselves and only concerned with self-promotion.
    3. Projects are inadequately managed, resulting in a pile of work at any given moment. The company always seems to be behind on everything, which ends up unnecessarily pushing everyone daily.
    4. Promotions are dangled in front of you, but rarely handed out and very much dictated by a club atmosphere. If you're in the club, you're all set. If not, you're screwed no matter how much effort you put in.
    5. No real internal career paths are defined, nor are dept moves encouraged within the company. Each dept does what it wants and HR only gets involved if there's an issue or fight to keep someone.
    6. Bonus structure is a joke. Honestly, it really is that bad. Might as well just donate to charity instead, would mean more to everyone.

Overall, company has a militant approach to dealing with employees and customer issues. Very rarely does the right thing get done unless required by law or contract. They simply don't treat employees well.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better, we expect more from our leaders... especially for what you get paid. Grow a set and start doing the right thing, stand up for your people when they are right.

Time to get out!

Fabricator (Current Employee) Appleton, WI

ProsThe wages are the best for my job class in this area, but that's it!

ConsManagement is about the worst I and many others have ever seen. It literally is amazing that a product is even produced, much less a decent one. You're always kept in the dark an s treated with little respect. Constant threat of layoffs sue to poor management and planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to run a business!

Worked for Oshkosh Corporation? Contribute to the Community!