Oshkosh Corporation

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014

Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews
Charles L. Szews

Pros
  • Good pay for the area as a blue collar worker (in 5 reviews)

• I was fortunate to work with some great people at Oshkosh, and the pay was good for what I did as a temp (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no such thing as work life balance with this company (in 4 reviews)

• No real internal career paths are defined, nor are dept moves encouraged within the company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Time to get out!

Current Employee - Fabricator in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Fabricator in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The wages are the best for my job class in this area, but that's it!

Cons

Management is about the worst I and many others have ever seen. It literally is amazing that a product is even produced, much less a decent one. You're always kept in the dark an s treated with little respect. Constant threat of layoffs sue to poor management and planning.

Learn how to run a business!

Great product, but that is where the fun ends

Former Employee - Senior Industrial Engineer in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Industrial Engineer in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Fantastic product; can be proud of what you are part of
    -OK company to get your start; will hire entry level engineers, etc.
    -Oshkosh as a city can be fun and entertaining

Cons

-Looooooong hours; expect to work 60+ if salary
    -Union does not budge
    -Entitled management
    -Very Stressful
    -Prepare to live underneath a bus; will be thrown there constantly and consistently
    -Pay/per hour is laughable when considering the amount of hours
    -Very undefined roles and responsibilities
    -Unhappy work force; very low morale

The happiest day of my professional life was when I left OSK. I can say I miss my co-workers, but that is the extent of my nostalgia.

Great for unlimited overtime, no benefits, burn out and leave when your bills are paid.

Former Employee - Buyer in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Buyer in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I made $20 an hour and worked there for 1 year and a half. The job offered almost unlimited overtime on occasion and there are times when the work can seem enjoyable if you are organized and like hassling suppliers, which at times I did. There was some autonomy depending on the work load.

Cons

You will do data entry and cold calling until you imprint excel sheets in your eyes and your hand ache. You will also feel like a glorified intern however, the interns will feel like they are above you as they get more project work and more interesting work than you. As a contractor, you will likely be treated as disposable labor. There is also a everyone for themself attitude. Little to no culture of friendship or comradery. Nobody seems to be friends and everyone is there just for a paycheck. When you take this job, it will likely be for the money, however when the money is no longer worth the job you will have a hard time leaving this job for more fullfiling work because they are known for burning out employees so that even with what litle time you have left after working 55 hours you don't have the energy to look for a job elsewhere.

Show interest and build real relationships with your employees. Act like you care and it will go a long ways. Occaisionally, ask an employee how his work is going and just be friendly rather than treating them like they are equipment to be used and disposed of.

Expect More, pay less

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It has a demanding customer, and is a fast paced manufacturer. There are plenty of opportunities for improvements, and the chance to work on many big projects. Products are very cool, and serving the customer is rewarding.

Cons

The expectation of working more hours. Never ending work load and a lack of training. Old-boy network controls promotions, and there is an overall resistance to change.

Share the wealth, low raises are an insult. Actually show that you value your workforce by listening to them. Maybe consider embracing 20th century (or even 21st!) management methods.

Oshkosh Truck

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

Benefits, fast track management, cross training

Cons

hours, no over time pay for salaried staff, union vs corporation mentality, 3 generation management style

Poor management and no room to grow professionally.

Current Employee - Assmebler in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Assmebler in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

Oshkosh truck offers great pay rate and did have a fairly quick raise rate and the benefits package was a great package.

Cons

Despite the good pay rate and the great benefits package, trucks didnt have much room to grow professionally and also management was sometimes horrible in changes that would be made in production lines.

The feedback I would like to offer is that they should hear more of what the people who actually assemble the parts and work on the line instead of just letting someone who hasnt worked on the line make changes according to some data sheet.

Extremely fast paced

Former Employee - Engineer in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

The product we build makes a difference in people's lives every day. Nice community, good pay/benefits.

Cons

10 hour days and a couple weekends a month are an EXPECTED MINIMUM. Change, even change for the better, is very hard to create.

Quit the blame game and figure out how to get a work-life balance. Decent place to work.

Every day has new challenges.

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable work, and the customers are interesting.

Cons

Medical benefits are third-world class'

Benefits will keep the best employees. Benefits are worth 20%+ of fair compensation. A Salary or hourly wage is only part of the package.

Entry job right out of college.

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

A good first job to have coming out of college with lots of oppurtunities to work on big projects and have direct impacts to processes.

Cons

The expectation of working a lot of hours. A culture to work harder vs smarter and the typical glares if only working an 8 hour day.

Ok job, liked the people

Former Employee - 201 Assembler in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - 201 Assembler in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great paycheck, money was good

Cons

Got laid off, too many chiefs and not enough Indians