Oshkosh Corporation

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014

Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews
Charles L. Szews

Pros
  • Good pay for the area as a blue collar worker (in 5 reviews)

• I was fortunate to work with some great people at Oshkosh, and the pay was good for what I did as a temp (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no such thing as work life balance with this company (in 4 reviews)

• No real internal career paths are defined, nor are dept moves encouraged within the company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Its a great place work you learn alot information the people are like family.

Current Employee - 301 in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - 301 in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

The pay scale is one of the best in the Fox Valley plus the bennifits are ranked at the top of every job around.

Cons

we do have to work alot of hrs. so the overtime is always nice but it does take away from family time.

If I were in leadership postion I would give more feed back to its employees in a more timely matter rather than wait till the last minute on important information.

overall good company

Current Employee - 301 General Assembler in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - 301 General Assembler in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

very good benefits compared to other companies
    very good pay and hard to find this type of pay any where else
    endless opportunities for job advancement and tryiing different positions

Cons

Overall to actual downsides about being there. When it comes to FMLA HR needs to be more lenient and do alot better job on approving time off instead of walking an employee for missing work due to a family emergency.

instead of pointing the fingers at employees when they have quality issues on trucks which interfere with sales who bust their ass every day to build the best truck. They need to focus on tracing where the repeat problem started. Also have the management and cordinators quit being so worried about hitting numbers and not carrying about quality just to hit their numbers to make themselves look good. Start putting quality before number and we will make the government alot happier!!

Every day has new challenges.

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable work, and the customers are interesting.

Cons

Medical benefits are third-world class'

Benefits will keep the best employees. Benefits are worth 20%+ of fair compensation. A Salary or hourly wage is only part of the package.

Entry job right out of college.

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

A good first job to have coming out of college with lots of oppurtunities to work on big projects and have direct impacts to processes.

Cons

The expectation of working a lot of hours. A culture to work harder vs smarter and the typical glares if only working an 8 hour day.

Ok job, liked the people

Former Employee - 201 Assembler in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - 201 Assembler in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great paycheck, money was good

Cons

Got laid off, too many chiefs and not enough Indians

Contractor

Former Employee - FSR3 in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - FSR3 in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They really take care of you in the US and when it comes to training.

Cons

Senior management is in it for themselves. Ruined good leadership in the field.

Stop micro managing FSR leadership and let them do their job.

learning experience

Current Employee - General Assembler in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - General Assembler in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pay.. wide variety of job opportunies and excellent benefits

Cons

Too much push push let's rush to hit the numbers and not enough management caring about the quality of the product

Pull your head out of your tail and learn to actually listen to what employees have to say and their ideas instead of treating them like crap and shutting them out.

Good Pay, Poor Management

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

The Pay is very Good

Cons

The Management is very poor

Listen to People that are willing to help

Long-term advancement potential if you're an "Oshkosh person", otherwise quick turnover

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

The compensation is reasonable, most co-workers are pleasant, my direct managers were competent people-managers, and I learned a great deal from my involvement with the company.

Cons

Oshkosh's corporate structure is bureaucratic, rigid and paternalistic; essentially an "old boys club". Perhaps this mirrors the customer's expectations, but it makes change difficult to implement and creates a situation where only people with similar backgrounds and mindsets get promoted. If you're not an "Oshkosh person", you have limited potential at the company regardless of your capabilities and qualifications. Furthermore, the company's heavy use of contract workers creates a morale issue, as a large number of employees do not feel as though they are true Oshkosh employees.

Look at the long term more with regards to talent identification and development, as well as corporate strategy. Be more proactive about identifying "bugs"; don't let them fester and then try to use a sledgehammer to take care of the problem.

Time to get out

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When the going is good things are great.This is a company that has so much potential to grow and develop its units. Still hiring people - so many corporate opportunities.
    Have great social life with co-workers but there tends to be a very loose policy especially drinking.
    Opportunities ( in the past) have been fantastic for rapid promotion.

Cons

Working conditions - verbally not good ??? To much abuse down the chain. I have personally seen the transition into the business of new divisions only to be talked down and squashed by corporate administrators here in WI. We were ONE Oshkosh - remember!
    Leadership is weak. Senior executives get away with a lot and are not punished while mid levels are crucified at every turn. This company is underachieving and hurting its own assets.

Grow some! Get on top of your senior management who talk smack and act like bullies. If the Exec turns up to a meeting hung over - kick their butt !!
    I think I have put it out there well. You have quality people working for you but some senior executives are more concerned with smear campaigns than getting on with the job.
    Oh and CEO - Take a weekend off!