Oshkosh Corporation

Updated August 21, 2014

3.1

Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews
Charles L. Szews

Pros
  • Good pay for the area as a blue collar worker (in 4 reviews)

• I was fortunate to work with some great people at Oshkosh, and the pay was good for what I did as a temp (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No real internal career paths are defined, nor are dept moves encouraged within the company (in 3 reviews)

• Bad management practices and poor union support (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I met a lot of good people there, but due to their contract with my staffing agency no chance for a permenant job .

Former Employee - Janitor  in  Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Janitor in Appleton, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Simply put it was the co-workers , good people & hard workers.

Cons

Product, both incoming and outgoing was priority one, workers were replaceable , on a daily basis if required.

Give the people working for you the feeling that they mean as much to the company as the products they move, load, and unload . Keeping 98% of the core work force on a permenant yet temporary status fails to foster personal pride in the jobs being performed or to the company they are working for. Lack of health care and benefits due to non permenant employment is also very negative among the work force.

Review Of Oshkosh Truck

Former Employee - Senior Defense Financial Compliance Analyst  in  Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Defense Financial Compliance Analyst in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company builds trucks for the military that saves lives. In addition Oshkosh builds fire trucks and snow plows. All of the trucks are the best.

Cons

The company does not have current state of the art business systems. Their accounting, billing, estimating and purchasing systems are weak.

Purchase an ERP system such as Oracle or SAP.

Great Products, Great Opportunities

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

I would say that the people are great. Mid-level and senior management almost have all worked their way up from the lower levels, so they are easily approachable, no-nonsense and knowledgeable. Benefits are good. Preferential treatment is given to current employees for positions. Upward moves into different types of positions are usually easier than within your current job designation (for example, if you are an admin, moving into contracts or project management, rather than to an executive level admin).

Cons

No lunchrooms (there are kitchens), projects often require lots of overtime from all staff, however many people see the project (often for military) as vitally important not only to the business but for our soldiers as well, so the overtime is usually not viewed as a huge inconvenience. Administrative promotions are usually not based on performance, but done personally.

Increase communication between departments and divisions, really work on the One-Oshkosh philosophy. When undergoing new projects talk to the admins, they know what is going on and usually have useful input.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What a Nightmare- Avoid at All Cost

Current Employee - Fed Up  in  Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Fed Up in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

There are indeed alot of opportunities for growth, if only you had any authority to exercise those opportunities. There are current openings available at the company. The last is a great reason to apply if you are desperate for a job.

Cons

Upper level management is clueless along with other corporate departments on what needs to be done to take care of current issues. The entire company is a clique and if you aren't in the group, you will get nowhere. The character of corporate mid level leadership is not good. These people beat you into the ground to promote themselves all the while being poor civil examples for the rest of the company. This makes it extremely difficult to do the right thing and get anywhere above your position. The work life balance is considered an average of 60/hrs/wk with no OT. This makes our turnover rate astronomical with salaried people.

The insurance packages the company offers to its salary staff are shameful compared to what they dole out to the union workforce. You cannot have an illness. Regardless, you will pay upwards of $150/month as an individual for insurance and still have a $1750 deductible. Otherwise you can pay $100/month and have a $3000 deductible. If you have a family like me, best of luck. The company is truly being unfair with their benefits. They dont match 401k anywhere near what other corporations are offering. 50% match up to 6%. All of these things give me reason to seek employment elsewhere. Best of luck to all fellow employees, Im getting out of here as soon as possible.

Get with the program. Understand that what you are doing is driving your employees away. You can't keep promoting the people that buy you rounds at the bar and depend on them to do the right thing. You have been bought and you need to right the ship before it sinks. Yes, military contracts are great but when you are done selling trucks on your last contract, where will you go from here? A strong workforce will stand behind you. Your current workforce however, won't be left standing.

Busy

Current Employee - Team Coordinator  in  Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Team Coordinator in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

Oshkosh Truck offers someone the opportunity to develop yourself as a person and as a leader. There are plenty of opportunities for challenging yourself.

Cons

The shifts are kind of awkward and makes it so that it is hard to have time for anything else for you to do with your day.

Keep in mind the thoughts of the workers, if management works for them the workers will work harder for the management.

Overall, a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

Stability of company
    Good opportunity to grow
    Great place to learn
    Variety of companies within the organization to learn about and work with

Cons

Lack of communication around company strategy
    Most employees do not know what the company was doing or why it was doing it
    Leadership was a little stagnant - little change at higher levels

Improve communication to employees, especially in regards to corporate strategy

Poor management and no room to grow professionally.

Current Employee - Assmebler  in  Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Assmebler in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

Oshkosh truck offers great pay rate and did have a fairly quick raise rate and the benefits package was a great package.

Cons

Despite the good pay rate and the great benefits package, trucks didnt have much room to grow professionally and also management was sometimes horrible in changes that would be made in production lines.

The feedback I would like to offer is that they should hear more of what the people who actually assemble the parts and work on the line instead of just letting someone who hasnt worked on the line make changes according to some data sheet.

A learning experience

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

Pride
    Good Money
    People are very dedicated to the task at hand

Cons

Stressful work enviroment
    Defense industry is instable and spending for the future is forecasted low
    Travel to war areas is less than desirable

They need to evolve towards adopting a warm heart philosophy of going hard on the problems not on the people.

Great co-workers, confusing management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

Most everyone is commited to hard work and professional
    Gave back benefits after market picked up again
    Non-repetitive daily tasks
    Team spirit encouraged

Cons

Underutilized operations/materials system - cumbersome bandaid fixes
    LOTS of policy emphasis
    Somewhat rigid procedures
    HR and management uses complicated system to 'manage' humans

Get rid of TAMS. HR review system is demeaning and pointless. Stop trying to reduce your employees to numbers, we are humans.

All in all I am happy to have a good job. !!

Current Employee - Hourly  in  Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Hourly in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

I am proud of the trucks we make, and who we make them for. It's nice to know we make something worth while. The benifit package is good. I am happy with my co- workers we really have a good repore. All in all I can say I am so proud to work for a company that provides a living.

Cons

Not known for thier compassion, or ability to treat employees in a fair manor. I really wish they were more family freindly.

Please listen to us. We want to help make a difference. Treat us as individuals, we are all Not the same.

Worked for Oshkosh Corporation? Contribute to the Community!