Osram Sylvania Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Jes Munk Hansen

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are fairly good (in 4 reviews)

• very good pay that is based on a national average for job functions (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is geared to those with the mentality of "work is life", but even that isn't particularly valued (in 5 reviews)

• None really - Good benefits, good pay, good opportunity for advancement, good people, nice work environment (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Company

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Osram Sylvania is a decent company. It has recently spun off Siemens and is the only stand-alone lighting company in the industry. Great products to stand behind and an excellent group of people to work with.

Cons

It is a large company - headquartered in Munich, Germany. It often takes a while for decisions to be made and then implemented. This is just the nature of a large international business.

Advice to Management

Management is doing the best it can under the circumstances. Lighting is a competitive market.

2. Engineer

Current Employee - Engineering in New England, ND
    Current Employee - Engineering in New England, ND

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New global management beginning with CEO appointed Jan 1 2015. Change is the name of the game since new organizational structure was announced June 1 for Oct 1 implementation. The effectiveness of these changes, though, very chaotic and unstructured in the lower levels, may prove to be good in the long run.

Cons

Change is painful for all employees. It takes a long time to overcome ingrained mindsets no matter what Business in general or which business unit in particular, is being addressed. Sometimes it seems as if the Board and CEO, CFO and other top level managers have a master plan but the lower and mid level managers aren't aligned and their organization structure for FY16 as well as budget reflects this issue.

Advice to Management

Better change management is required. Announcing the carve out of traditional businesses and giving new names to the old BUs is cosmetic only. Dig down deep, get consensus and understanding at lower management levels, and make the change more transparent to all employees. It's. 5+ Billion Euro company with anxious shareholders. Everyone including the employees deserve better structured change. The lack of planning and firm organization detail basically 1 month before the end of the FY15 is shameful!

3. Staying Alive dispite the decline of sales and being "Harvested" and "Carved Out" for the auction block.

Current Employee - Engineering in Versailles, KY
    Current Employee - Engineering in Versailles, KY

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging projects, always on your toes. Plenty to do and more to learn. Pay is above average for the area. There is a real effort in keeping the facility in good shape and showing that we can still have manufacturing in the US of A. Employee involvement in improvements, safety is a priority and participation is mandatory. A good place to be employed and hopefully finish my career.

Cons

We are a declining industry with little to no product development. Lots of changes happening which is where I shine but difficult for the old guard. We are in full survival mode, the fat is being trimmed, budgets cut, lines closing and competing against our sister plants.

Advice to Management

Local management, stay on course and keep us competitive. Expand and take advantage of opportunities that are good for our facility and our workforce. Keep us flexible and on our toes for the next change in the lighting industry and make us the best option for manufacturing. National management, I have very important information that will grow your business tremendously before carving us ou.............

5. E05 Level Manager

Former Employee - Principal Electrical Eng I in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Electrical Eng I in Danvers, MA

I worked at Osram Sylvania (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was always provided personal growth opportunities, more then I could take advantage of. The people are hard working dedicated employees, Management is thoughtful, caring, standards are high and would not ask more of you that they would do themselves. Now is a great time to be in the LED side of the business.

Cons

Traditional products are in decline and inovations in this area are underfunded. Running existing lines on a minimum budget could lead to product line downtime.

Advice to Management

Continue to support employee growth, Continue to embrace Lean Manufacturing. Do what needs to be done to make the technology transition and remember that your employee are your best resource continue to invest in them.

6. Carve Out

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Good pay, Family type atmosphere

Cons

Company is going through a carve out and is possibly selling off to an offshore entity. Tough for advancement in the IT division.

7. Makes self employment look attractive...

Current Employee - Global Computer Systems Engineer/Architect in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Global Computer Systems Engineer/Architect in Danvers, MA

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, decent (but not superb) benefits, nice gym on premises, friendly co-workers.

Cons

Very flat employee infrastructure in IT organization, little to no advancement opportunities into management. Too few people to get the job done right, so work quality is average to sub-par from "all" departments. Stress level is higher than most people in my field working in other companies in the area.

Advice to Management

When you see excellence from an individual's efforts, reward them. When someone shows strong capabilities in project or people management, promote them.

Mixed Bag

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Growing acceptance for flexible schedules and telecommuting. Compensation seems to be better than average for the area. Company is slow to outsource.

Cons

Every attempt to reduce workforce seems to backfire - we lose the best, instead of the weakest. There seems to be no strategic plan to match vision.

Advice to Management

The demands of our global teams and operations blur the boundaries of the work day. Provide an environment where there is greater flexibility around working hours. Provide more community outreach through service opportunities.

9. None

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, NH

I have been working at Osram Sylvania (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's good to have a job.

Cons

Dying company. Has no interest in continuing to manufacture in the US.

Controller

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

OSRAM allows flexible work arrangements which can be taken advantage of if your manager approves. The new building that is going to be located in Wilmington is supposed to be state-of-the-art and bring better working conditions.

Cons

OSRAM has gone through substantial changes in the past couple of years. It is not the place that it used to be. The headquarters building is empty (in comparison to past) and the tone is a bit depressing. High stress environment.

review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

established company, unethical behavior not tolerated, some very good managers

Cons

changes in the industry have forced changes in the business model

Advice to Management

listen to employees

RSS Feed </> Embed