Osram Sylvania

Osram Sylvania Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Osram Sylvania President, CEO, and Director Rick Leaman

Rick Leaman

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule for some (not me)(in 5 reviews)

• Cutting edge technology, Grea work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management find it easier to cut the work force's benefits than to find savings in areas that need to be cut(in 6 reviews)

• The hard working engineers are deprived of promotions ,raise in salary ,trainings etc(in 6 reviews)

LONG TIME EMPLOYEE

Supply Chain (Current Employee) Hillsboro, NH

ProsBenifits, tuition reimbursement, on site fitness center

ConsForced early retirement, passing over older workers who make more money for jobs in other departments, managers who don't have a clue, managers who are incompetant, overlooking people who don't know how to do their jobs. the better job you do the more work you get. HR who don't know or enforce policies evenly. No flexible hours for salary,

Advice to Senior ManagementActively solicit feedback, respond to an email in 24 hours not 2 weeks. Listed to suggestions, promote the competant people, cross train, identify best practices

Good at sucking up? Good at political game? Got a friend or relative in higher positions? Great! Welcome aboard...

Cross Functional Support (Current Employee) Danvers, MA

ProsBenefits are in line with other same-size companies. Some groups within the company function well... most do not.

ConsBig political game. Unless you are friends (or neighbors -yes, that's happened) with someone, good luck advancing. Lots of internal promoting - whether or not you are qualified. Pays to suck up to the right people. Too many people put in positions where they know nothing and are unqualified. Leads to poor productivity, miscommunication and just in general - a very bad practice for the business.

I work and support several groups within the company. Auto OEM are competent and talented (qualified) bunch of folks. Auto aftermarket - well... you can get the job if you know someone - don't worry about being qualified. You can fake it for a very long time. Hope you are good at taking abuse.

General lighting - helps that you stomp your feet to get what you want. Or, if you are lucky, you are friends with the upper management.

One of the worse corporate cultures I've ever seen. Backstabbing, lack of accountability, lack of caring for job, company or other co-workers. Like I said - some groups seem to function fine... engineering, corp comm, R&D for the most part. Seems like that middle "marketing" layer (and just about everyone has marketing in their title for some odd reason) is totally broken across B.U.s... Hostile environment. My advice is to stay away. At first, it will seem like a nice place to work, but only after a short amount of time, you'll realize you made a big mistake. I have been here for close to 10 years... in the beginning it was great - many good years. Recently (the last 3 years) its been hell. I'm on my way out - as soon as I can!

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. You ask for employees to take surveys. They come back with lots of negative remarks. You do nothing about it. I've seen so many good, smart and highly skilled folks walk out the door because of how they are treated. The corporate culture is the worse I've ever seen in my 30+ year career.

Long Time Employee

ProsIndustry competitive benefits. Leader in lighting technology

ConsDramatic changes in the past few years has resulted in lack of continuity. The strategy seems to change every 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to see clear leadership and direction. We seem to be managing to the deliver the bottom line at the expense of future success.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good company currently going through big transitions.

Principal Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Danvers, MA

Pros1) Employees of their automotive group enjoy almost complete job security.
    2) Very strong emphasize on legally compliant and safe business practices.
    3) Company invests in the development of their employees and provides them with generous tools for doing their job.
    4) Many exciting high tech projects.

Cons1) Employees who are part of their General Lighting group and not their automotive group enjoy less job security and you do see people let go from time to time.
    2) Politics are not visible at first sight, but still very present. Differences between employees are usually carried out in a passive aggressive or covert aggressive manner.
    3) To advance in the Automotive Group requires putting in an enormous amount of work hours, besides of course exceptional skills.
    4) This is a big lighting company currently struggling to survive in a rapidly changing business environment. The future is difficult to predict.
    5) It happens time and again that employees leave because they cannot advance in pay rate. Some of them come back after being offered a higher salary but others are lost forever.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep better track of the market value of you employees. As they gain experience their market value goes up. If their market value goes up but you refuse to increase their pay appropriately then the easiest way to further their salary will be to apply with other companies.

Working for osram

Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits, good pay, good opportunity for advancement, good people, nice work environment

ConsNone really - Good benefits, good pay, good opportunity for advancement, good people, nice work environment

Poorly ran and mismanaged

Field Tech (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsI got a Free Cup when the stock spun from Siemens!

ConsPoor Management all the way down, parts of the Company compete against themselves and have no problem throwing you under the bus, If you want to work in a place with a bunch of people with College degrees in Philosophy trying to manage a Technical product/Service they know nothing about this is the place for you. People were laughing in the background as the laid off 900+ on a Conference call.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize that Basket weaving Degree and get out of Lighting

Clueless in Massachusetts: Company has no concept of commercial construction process

Director of Sales (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood benefits, good training, some really good people to work with, good products

ConsPoor leadership, poor market concept - to include product pricing, too political - play the game and move up

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your teams time to build a business. You know nothing about commercial construction and if you are serious about selling lighting and controls through specification, you better learn fast or hire some senior managers from some competitors. It would be a shame to see the Rexel BDM's go the same way as the controls guys.

Contractor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed the group I worked for. Life as a contractor there is very tenuous, unless your manager says so, contractors were forced to work 4 day weeks on a regular basis.

ConsDiminishing market share - uncertain future in lighting industry. This lead to shotgun approach to get product out regardless of usefulness.

Challenging work with flexibility I need

Corporate Function (Current Employee) Danvers, MA

ProsFlexible schedules, though not all managers allow in each department
    Competitive pay and benefits
    Challenging work and ability to take on new projects

ConsCorporate consolidation has resulted in a very flat structure with limited room for advancement
    Limited funds for training outside the corporate training programs
    Often find out about coporate news from my RSS feed rather than internal sources

Advice to Senior ManagementNew CEO seems to be communicating more to employees, but still not sure where he stands. Needs to make an effort to get to know the people in the business, not just his direct reports.

Discouraging

ProsNot many good reasons to work here anymore

ConsHave to devote your entire time to the job with no recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your subordinates like they matter not just like a disposable tool.

Worked for Osram Sylvania? Contribute to the Community!