Osram Sylvania

Updated November 15, 2014
2.7

Osram Sylvania President, CEO, and Director Rick Leaman
Rick Leaman

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule for some (not me) (in 6 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are fairly good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is geared to those with the mentality of "work is life", but even that isn't particularly valued (in 5 reviews)

• Limited opportunity for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good at sucking up? Good at political game? Got a friend or relative in higher positions? Great! Welcome aboard...

Current Employee - Cross Functional Support in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Cross Functional Support in Danvers, MA

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are in line with other same-size companies. Some groups within the company function well... most do not.

Cons

Big political game. Unless you are friends (or neighbors -yes, that's happened) with someone, good luck advancing. Lots of internal promoting - whether or not you are qualified. Pays to suck up to the right people. Too many people put in positions where they know nothing and are unqualified. Leads to poor productivity, miscommunication and just in general - a very bad practice for the business.

I work and support several groups within the company. Auto OEM are competent and talented (qualified) bunch of folks. Auto aftermarket - well... you can get the job if you know someone - don't worry about being qualified. You can fake it for a very long time. Hope you are good at taking abuse.

General lighting - helps that you stomp your feet to get what you want. Or, if you are lucky, you are friends with the upper management.

One of the worse corporate cultures I've ever seen. Backstabbing, lack of accountability, lack of caring for job, company or other co-workers. Like I said - some groups seem to function fine... engineering, corp comm, R&D for the most part. Seems like that middle "marketing" layer (and just about everyone has marketing in their title for some odd reason) is totally broken across B.U.s... Hostile environment. My advice is to stay away. At first, it will seem like a nice place to work, but only after a short amount of time, you'll realize you made a big mistake. I have been here for close to 10 years... in the beginning it was great - many good years. Recently (the last 3 years) its been hell. I'm on my way out - as soon as I can!

Wake up. You ask for employees to take surveys. They come back with lots of negative remarks. You do nothing about it. I've seen so many good, smart and highly skilled folks walk out the door because of how they are treated. The corporate culture is the worse I've ever seen in my 30+ year career.

Poorly ran and mismanaged

Former Employee - Field Tech in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Field Tech in Dallas, TX

I worked at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got a Free Cup when the stock spun from Siemens!

Cons

Poor Management all the way down, parts of the Company compete against themselves and have no problem throwing you under the bus, If you want to work in a place with a bunch of people with College degrees in Philosophy trying to manage a Technical product/Service they know nothing about this is the place for you. People were laughing in the background as the laid off 900+ on a Conference call.

Utilize that Basket weaving Degree and get out of Lighting

Clueless in Massachusetts: Company has no concept of commercial construction process

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good training, some really good people to work with, good products

Cons

Poor leadership, poor market concept - to include product pricing, too political - play the game and move up

Give your teams time to build a business. You know nothing about commercial construction and if you are serious about selling lighting and controls through specification, you better learn fast or hire some senior managers from some competitors. It would be a shame to see the Rexel BDM's go the same way as the controls guys.

Long Time Employee

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time

Pros

Industry competitive benefits. Leader in lighting technology

Cons

Dramatic changes in the past few years has resulted in lack of continuity. The strategy seems to change every 6 months.

Need to see clear leadership and direction. We seem to be managing to the deliver the bottom line at the expense of future success.

A good company currently going through big transitions.

Former Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Danvers, MA

I worked at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Employees of their automotive group enjoy almost complete job security.
    2) Very strong emphasize on legally compliant and safe business practices.
    3) Company invests in the development of their employees and provides them with generous tools for doing their job.
    4) Many exciting high tech projects.

Cons

1) Employees who are part of their General Lighting group and not their automotive group enjoy less job security and you do see people let go from time to time.
    2) Politics are not visible at first sight, but still very present. Differences between employees are usually carried out in a passive aggressive or covert aggressive manner.
    3) To advance in the Automotive Group requires putting in an enormous amount of work hours, besides of course exceptional skills.
    4) This is a big lighting company currently struggling to survive in a rapidly changing business environment. The future is difficult to predict.
    5) It happens time and again that employees leave because they cannot advance in pay rate. Some of them come back after being offered a higher salary but others are lost forever.

Keep better track of the market value of you employees. As they gain experience their market value goes up. If their market value goes up but you refuse to increase their pay appropriately then the easiest way to further their salary will be to apply with other companies.

Working for osram

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

None really - Good benefits, good pay, good opportunity for advancement, good people, nice work environment

Contractor

I worked at Osram Sylvania

Pros

Enjoyed the group I worked for. Life as a contractor there is very tenuous, unless your manager says so, contractors were forced to work 4 day weeks on a regular basis.

Cons

Diminishing market share - uncertain future in lighting industry. This lead to shotgun approach to get product out regardless of usefulness.

Challenging work with flexibility I need

Current Employee - Corporate Function in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate Function in Danvers, MA

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, though not all managers allow in each department
    Competitive pay and benefits
    Challenging work and ability to take on new projects

Cons

Corporate consolidation has resulted in a very flat structure with limited room for advancement
    Limited funds for training outside the corporate training programs
    Often find out about coporate news from my RSS feed rather than internal sources

New CEO seems to be communicating more to employees, but still not sure where he stands. Needs to make an effort to get to know the people in the business, not just his direct reports.

Of the higher management ,none of them seems to be having an engineering background

Current Employee - Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Danvers, MA

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I see no pros ....

Cons

Internal dirty politics that of "YES BOSS" kind .The hard working engineers are deprived of promotions ,raise in salary ,trainings etc.The R&D which should be highest paid gets nothing in return of the hardwork,rather the trouble creating managers ,having not a successful project to their credit,are paid and promoted and given the power to give promotions,they ,in turn,promote people who do errands for them ,its high time when the management opens its eyes and instead of going by the managers appraisals of the engineers ,they should invite the applications to see the contribution and the successful projects done by the engineers for higher positions.The system has been screwed up by the managers for their personal gains ,some dont let the engineers go to lighting fairs or training so as to generate points for miles and more and combine and utilize those points to get a subsidised air ticket for flying to their home towns.....lots and lots of dirty games played by bosses in US.

The company needs to take the reins in its own hands if it really wants to stay competitive.The company needs the eyes and ears of its own than the borrowed ones..Very-very frustrating environs and culture.

It really doesn't matter any more

Former Employee - Service Coordinator
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator

I worked at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Satisfying work.

Cons

Incompetent management. No work/life balance. Unrealistic expectations. No training.

Osram Sylvania Photos