Osram Sylvania

Profile Unclaimed

design engineer

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Danvers, MA

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

i like the flex time because i have the oportunity to work from home

Cons

oportunities, they give the oportunities to the people that has more year in the company but not based on their performance,

Solid company for some, soft sand for lighting business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I worked at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the right business unit, opportunities exist for jobs as well as learning possibilities.

Cons

Managed from Germany.
    Upper and middle management in Americas struggling to reconcile between corporate and regional needs.
    Future path not clear.

Employees are a wealth of information

Sinking ship

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Versailles, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Versailles, KY

I worked at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people, friendly, good technologies to work with, evolving technologies make it more interesting.

Cons

European company bought Sylvania and is trying to run it their way, while US is attempting to run it their way. Cultural differences are a problem. Salaries are low. No real job descriptions. Some Managers have job security issues and take it out on subordinates. The end of incandescent and halogen bulbs is not helping the industry. It had the potential for making the new LEDs in the US and gave it up in favor of buying crap from China. They are their worse competitor. If R&D comes out with a product, Sales gets Marketing to find a Chinese made product of the same kind to compete with what they are manufacturing-only they call it having a range of products. You can have a career there if you have the right manager, and are aligned with the right project of the month; you better be ready to travel anywhere they send you- no matter how dangerous the location.

Give it up. Management at the upper level has gotten worse these days creating chaos with all the arbitrary changes, and all the opposing and external influences. It sometimes appears as if the CEO Jess is not in charge, otherwise he wouldn't have allowed some things to have happened, particularly with LEDs. There are few company values left, just survival.

LONG TIME EMPLOYEE

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Hillsboro, NH
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Hillsboro, NH

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benifits, tuition reimbursement, on site fitness center

Cons

Forced early retirement, passing over older workers who make more money for jobs in other departments, managers who don't have a clue, managers who are incompetant, overlooking people who don't know how to do their jobs. the better job you do the more work you get. HR who don't know or enforce policies evenly. No flexible hours for salary,

Actively solicit feedback, respond to an email in 24 hours not 2 weeks. Listed to suggestions, promote the competant people, cross train, identify best practices

York, PA employee

Current Employee - Clerical in York, PA
    Current Employee - Clerical in York, PA

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

No longer have to deal with the German disrespect and hatred after December. Our plant is being shut down.

Cons

Osram want's to phase out all U.S. plants.

Spineless with the Incandescent ban.

Good at sucking up? Good at political game? Got a friend or relative in higher positions? Great! Welcome aboard...

Current Employee - Cross Functional Support in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Cross Functional Support in Danvers, MA

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are in line with other same-size companies. Some groups within the company function well... most do not.

Cons

Big political game. Unless you are friends (or neighbors -yes, that's happened) with someone, good luck advancing. Lots of internal promoting - whether or not you are qualified. Pays to suck up to the right people. Too many people put in positions where they know nothing and are unqualified. Leads to poor productivity, miscommunication and just in general - a very bad practice for the business.

I work and support several groups within the company. Auto OEM are competent and talented (qualified) bunch of folks. Auto aftermarket - well... you can get the job if you know someone - don't worry about being qualified. You can fake it for a very long time. Hope you are good at taking abuse.

General lighting - helps that you stomp your feet to get what you want. Or, if you are lucky, you are friends with the upper management.

One of the worse corporate cultures I've ever seen. Backstabbing, lack of accountability, lack of caring for job, company or other co-workers. Like I said - some groups seem to function fine... engineering, corp comm, R&D for the most part. Seems like that middle "marketing" layer (and just about everyone has marketing in their title for some odd reason) is totally broken across B.U.s... Hostile environment. My advice is to stay away. At first, it will seem like a nice place to work, but only after a short amount of time, you'll realize you made a big mistake. I have been here for close to 10 years... in the beginning it was great - many good years. Recently (the last 3 years) its been hell. I'm on my way out - as soon as I can!

Wake up. You ask for employees to take surveys. They come back with lots of negative remarks. You do nothing about it. I've seen so many good, smart and highly skilled folks walk out the door because of how they are treated. The corporate culture is the worse I've ever seen in my 30+ year career.

Long Time Employee

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time

Pros

Industry competitive benefits. Leader in lighting technology

Cons

Dramatic changes in the past few years has resulted in lack of continuity. The strategy seems to change every 6 months.

Need to see clear leadership and direction. We seem to be managing to the deliver the bottom line at the expense of future success.

Working for osram

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

None really - Good benefits, good pay, good opportunity for advancement, good people, nice work environment

Poorly ran and mismanaged

Former Employee - Field Tech in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Field Tech in Dallas, TX

I worked at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I got a Free Cup when the stock spun from Siemens!

Cons

Poor Management all the way down, parts of the Company compete against themselves and have no problem throwing you under the bus, If you want to work in a place with a bunch of people with College degrees in Philosophy trying to manage a Technical product/Service they know nothing about this is the place for you. People were laughing in the background as the laid off 900+ on a Conference call.

Utilize that Basket weaving Degree and get out of Lighting

Clueless in Massachusetts: Company has no concept of commercial construction process

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Osram Sylvania full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good training, some really good people to work with, good products

Cons

Poor leadership, poor market concept - to include product pricing, too political - play the game and move up

Give your teams time to build a business. You know nothing about commercial construction and if you are serious about selling lighting and controls through specification, you better learn fast or hire some senior managers from some competitors. It would be a shame to see the Rexel BDM's go the same way as the controls guys.

Osram Sylvania Photos