Ossur Reviews

CEO

1. The experience was great in the beginning and has gone south in a hurry

Former Employee - Sales in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Ossur full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The one and only reason is LIFE WITHOUT LIMITATIONS. People loose or have no limbs and we put them back together.

Cons

The mid management is what is driving the company morale down and the reason great employees are no longer there.

Get rid of the horrible middle management and so called directors and the company once again be a great place to work.
    People used to love this place and no one can say that anymore.

Go in knowing they are not loyal to employees.

I worked at Ossur

Pros

Nice digs. Lots of training. Good money.

Cons

Disrespectful Icelandic management sets the tone for local management.

You are unable to change.

3. Good place to work as long as you're not an inside rep

I worked at Ossur

Pros

Good products. Great OA bracing.

Cons

Not as good as Don Joy

5. ....

Current Employee - N/A in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Ossur part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good and professional interview with HR

Cons

No cons, recommend this company

6. worst job ever, never again working there

Current Contractor - Contract Worker in Mantua, NJ
    Current Contractor - Contract Worker in Mantua, NJ

I have been working at Ossur as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

paid every week
    lunch cart out side of work
    other than that, it sucked

Cons

management were a bunch of idiots
    factory job
    everyone hated their lives
    mindless

let us listen to ipods while doing mindless work

7. No chance for Advancement unless you an Icelandic or are in Marketing or Sales

Former Employee - Engineer in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Ossur full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus structure is good where they are making money.

Cons

Lots of married people work here. Management acts like they are making a ton of money for a small company. And for such a small company they are top heavy. No chance for advancement. Watch 5 layoffs happen without notice. They only get rid of people who are outspoken. To much sucking up to get promoted. It's a travesty. Icelandic pay is way off the chart.

If Iceland is unhappy with the way Americans run the business. Let them take it back to Iceland and see how that works out.

Lack of professional growth opps and internal cultural conflict outweighs rewarding work on products that help people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Ossur

Pros

Ossur has a great vision of helping people lead a "Life without Limitations". Hard work is rewarded through the idea that the end result is helping others. Ossur is a global company with lots of opportunity to travel if your job requires, including Iceland which is a fantastic place to visit. Icelanders are great people and my comments below are limited only to my experience with management in a business environment.

Cons

There is a cultural disconnect between Icelandic management and the non-Icelandic workforce. For example, Ossur management preaches the value of launching new products and how much they spend on R&D, but they do not believe in awarding bonuses for the hard work of R&D design teams resulting in successful new orthopedic products b/c bonuses should not be necessary to motivate the workforce. However, Icelandic R&D managers DO receive bonuses. In addition, career advancement opportuntities are slim to none, and when a promotion is offered it usually means your old job responsibilites have been expanded to include those of someone who has left. Ossur is very good at spreading everyone as thin as possible which is commonly joked as another form of Ossur's "Frugality" value. Finally, R&D management appears to have a lack of trust and/or belief in the capabilities of the R&D workforce. This is evident through severe micro-management and lack of interest in the ideas and input that comes from the design teams. The approach is very top down.

If you want to be the #1 orthopedic company in the world you should: 1) Don't take frugality so seriously - spend some money on people and for your people; 2) What worked for you in prosthetics won't necessarily work in orthopedics - listen to and trust the human capital you acquired when you entered the ortho market (if there's any left...) and 3) Don't impose your culture in a U.S./global business envirnment - learn to listen, adapt and sometimes compromise.

9. OK for entry into workforce

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Ossur

Pros

Get to travel to Iceland

Cons

Headquarters in Iceland makes for disconnect with culture

Be more open with employees about what is going on. Equality to non-Icelanders.

Nationalistic Icelandic favoritisim, nepitisim

Current Employee - Engineer in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Ossur

Pros

none except for industry. Please do not work here - do yourself a favor!

Cons

Everything. By far the worst place I' ve ever worked. Clear favoritisim towards Icelanders. The latest 'reorg' of R&D was the last straw. They replaced 5 good employees with Icelanders. One of them was by far the best product manager. It's almost as if after the collapse of the Icelandic economy and banks this company has become a jobs bank for Icelanders. Even 18 year veteran Palmi couldn't take the Icelandic incompetence, inaction, and injustice anymore. Of those of us left, everybody I talk to has had enough and is looking for a new job. I hear those that were 'reorg'ed' are banning together for a class action wrongfull dismissal class action lawsuit. I hope they take this shitty company for millions!

A global corporation means just that. it doesn't mean Icelanders are superior and CA is merely a winter vacation spot!

11. Great

Former Employee - Engineer in Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I worked at Ossur full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Freedom for work, great environment to work in. Friendly people

Cons

None that I recall of