Otis Elevator

Be The First To
Add Photos

Otis Elevator President Pedro Baranda

Pedro Baranda

Pros
  • Tuition benefits, work life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Job security, positive work environment, good mobility throughout UTC (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist (in 5 reviews)

• Middle management is abusive with no accountability (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Florence SC and the plant SUCK!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Florence, SC

Prosappreciating the rest of your life once you leave this hellhole

Consthe town is a death trap-one of the highest per capita crime rates in the country--makes Detroit seem safe--if you break down on your way to work, they may never find your body!-and the schools suck--unless you are a basketball star--otherwise, your kid may wind up as a knife cushion
    the plant is totally disorganized-they have lost hundreds of millions of dollars, because none of the original engineers wanted to move to Deathtrap SC, and no one knew what the hell they were doing They are on their third plant manager in 3 years, the HR department is mostly a bunch of mindless imbeciles that couldn't run a fried chicken stand, nevertheless an hr dept-the machines are set up dangerously, with very few safety systems in place. They are ALWAYS looking for people, because anyone who can leave, DOES LEAVE! The other elevator companies are eating their lunch--breakfast--AND dinner!

Advice to Senior ManagementResign!!!

Great benefits and great experience at an industry-leader. Hard work but you are rewarded for the efforts you put in.

Account Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits and total rewards system. Matching 401K plan. Staff is willing to train new employees. Company also provides tuition reimbursement.

ConsManagement styles are strictly "by the book." Opportunities for promotions can be slim. Pay raises usually only matched to cost of living increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to have a more open-door policy

Otis is a good company but has it challenges like any company. They definitely expect PERFORMANCE!!

Sales (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork life balance is good.

ConsVery rigid, often conflicting goals/objectives, over aggressive plans/objectives

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should solicit help and feedback from employees in the trenches a little more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-People were friendly and willing to help with assignments
    -Employees had no problem treating their interns with lunch
    -Projects were challenging, yet fulfilling, making your resume full
    -Upper-management allowed you to go out with other employees as long as your initial assignments were complete
    -The pay was extremely well
    -Company allowed you to travel, a lot, in-state and also out of state

Cons-Upper-management didn't feel the need to connect with interns
    -There were times where you would go a full week doing busy work
    -Some employees won't acknowledge your existence

Advice to Senior Management-Listen to your interns!!!
    -Don't underestimate how smart the interns are
    -Make them feel welcome to come into the office
    -Give them a reason to want to work for your company after they graduate college

Sales

Service Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsNone: The absolute worst management and incompetent HR in the industry. The regional management teaches the intern managers how to break every ethic policy mandated by this company. Truly the worst place to work. They put incompetent people in management positions that have no leadership skills,and are just plain ignorant.

ConsSame as above.they will verbally promise the world to you then totally reneg on the verbal agreements. There are more employees leaving this company then ever before.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr Pedro,Baranda fire every regional manager and there underlings and start over. Kone. TK and the others are desimating your company in sales. Wake up.

Stable company with opportunity for advancement as long as you are willing to move.

ProsCompetitive Pay
    Job Flexibility
    Informal Work Environment

ConsNot a clear career path

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to invest in talented hires

Engineering Internship Program

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Farmington, CT

ProsWas responsible for a real project, wasn't given busy work
    Was given the opportunity to partake in projects outside of my own
    Met the head of sales and president (Pedro)
    Was invited to join on many meetings ranging from international conference calls on shared projects, design reviews, etc.

ConsMy project required a lot of coding, which did not really meet my interests or skills, but was a great learning experience

It had its ups and downs, no joke

Account Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCommission as a sales rep can add up. Local offices give you a good small company feel, with a big company to back you up. The education assistance isn't what it used to be but is still helpful!

ConsThere is a LOT of administrative responsibilities for a sales rep that keep you from actually selling. Reps are responsible for collections, proposal creation, scheduling tests, managing projects, etc- it's a lot more paperwork and a lot less selling.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked with three managers, the first two were great, the last one was the reason I left. Managers can make or break an office. It is important that managers work with sales reps and value their time and provide assistance where needed.

Good place to start a career

Account Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Pros-Working in an industry with job security
    -Good training
    -Stable company

Cons-Stuck in the past
    -Management somewhat disconnected

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate procedures to keep company in line with competitors

The most important decision of my life!

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFamily oriented, Constant brain teasers, Surrounded by other nerds, A great way to make a living

ConsGood old boy company, Glass ceiling for minorities, Work follows you home

Worked for Otis Elevator? Contribute to the Community!