www.otisworldwide.com

Updated January 24, 2015
3.1

Otis Elevator President Pedro Baranda
Pedro Baranda

Pros
  • Excellent Employee Scholar Program (in 5 reviews)

• Tuition benefits, work life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist (in 6 reviews)

• Middle management is abusive with no accountability (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok for the first job

I have been working at Otis Elevator

Pros

Good pay n benefit for the first job

Cons

Hmm can't really think of one

Was a great place

Current Employee - New Equipment Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - New Equipment Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Otis Elevator full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice UTC benefits, great network which helps when sourcing products to sell.

Cons

Poor upper management. The numbers are the only important thing, not management skills. Had some managers that valued employees - union and non-union. When the numbers slipped a little, they got railroaded out. Upper management places too many non experienced supervisors and managers in positions just because they are friends or work for low pay. Too many mean spirited managers.

Value your workers that have good people skills. This will garner employees that are happier and healthier. Customers want to work with a firm that has employees that value them and their equipment.

okay place to work

I worked at Otis Elevator full-time

Pros

- excellent benefits (since it's part of UTC)
    - friendly people
    - excellent work life balance
    - good culture

Cons

- little advancement opportunities
    - major pressure on margin with very little resources to support
    - company makes money at the expense of its customers

- provide more resources

Working at Otis Elevator Company

Current Employee - Service Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Service Sales Representative

I have been working at Otis Elevator full-time

Pros

- Otis throws a lot of responsibility on service reps right away, which looks great on a resume.
    - Interactions with enjoyable customers can be fun, Otis lets reps do customer entertainment.
    - Employee Scholar Program
    - My particular supervisor is a great person and does the best he can considering the company. There are few other great upper-managers.
    - Benefits, gas reimbursement

Cons

- We are supposed to sell the "value" of Otis, but in my market, there is no value. Otis mechanics are swamped and have very little time for maintenance, some customers haven't received maintenance for over one year. It is also hard to sell the value because we are too high to make the value worth it. For ex: when we are $250,000 higher than the next competitor for a $1,000,000 project in a bid with all companies providing identical specs, what do we expect the customer to do?
    - Reps are penalized for cancellations, non-conversions, non-payments. I spend a good portion of my time trying to avoid losing money instead of attempting to make money. Also, commission plan written with so many stipulations that it becomes worthless - For ex: you don't get paid for resigns unless it's one year in advance, not a resign mailer, not a 10% discount, and the list gets longer. What DO we get paid? Also for ex: a recapture is great if they pay annually and sign a five year deal, pay dwindles for monthly payers and shorter contracts.
    - Reps are never given raises unless they change positions within company. Also, salary is much lower than competitors or comparable entry-level sales jobs of my schoolmates in this city. No company car, this would make sense in a position like this. Not a major con, but something interesting to note.
    - Under staffed. We don't have enough admins, reps in the office, supervisors, etc. We need help.
    - No focus on the customer. Charge them for everything regardless of if it's fair. Trap them in their contract as much as we can. Although this is important for a corporation, there should also be some focus on retaining customers by not pissing them off constantly.
    - Rep turnover is unreal. When I explain how many people have quit in the past year to family/friends, their jaws drop. It is also quite frustrating to the customers. And projects get messy when the rep leaves in the middle.

- Listen to reps during their exit interviews. Rep says "we're overworked." Then why did you add more metrics required to receive our commission, and why did you fire admins?
    - Beware of the union - I am convinced the rates will get so high that our customers will refuse to pay.

Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Otis Elevator full-time

Pros

The Company has great name recognition, but it is not held in the same regard as it used to be. Great employee scholarship program.

Cons

Account manager position is held responsible for everything that goes wrong and has no way to fix issues. If accounts cancel they take it out of your commission.

Focus on providing what you say you will. You cannot charge extra for value that is not there.

Current Employee - Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Otis Elevator full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company to Work For. Participative Management Style. Part of United Technologies Corporation.

Cons

No Cons Available to Report

No Advice Available to Report

Sinking ship!! Call in the life boats!!

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Otis Elevator full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pays 100% for furthering your education
    Impressive and detailed training program
    Safety program is 2nd to none

Cons

No such thing as thinking for yourself. Get used to strictly following processes or find another job.
    Management has a quick trigger on firing tenured employees. "what have you done for me lately"
    Objective: make profits. Customer service, contractual obligations, and morals mean nothing.
    They paint a picture that they are competitive in compensation and bonuses, but there is no truth to that. There are several shades of gray on compensation that only benefit the bottom line.
    Upper management promotes a hostle environment.

Times have changed. The days of 90% profit margins on maintenance customers are over. Who wants to work for a company who will layoff a performing employee to save a buck?
    Start doing preventative maintenance and stop cutting maintenance hours on contracts.

If your young and dumb, work here...

Former Employee - Manufacturing Floor Associate in Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Floor Associate in Bloomfield, CT

I worked at Otis Elevator as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Tuition benefits, work life balance. "Some" nice people to work with.

Cons

Lower management has you watching over your shoulder with one eye and your work with the other. Floor Associates are a number and that is all management cares about, the bottom line. Lots of excuses(lies) to keep raises low. A lot of age discrimination, especially to Americans by foreign bosses that think their butts don't stink because they have a college degree. Temps are treated even worse, the bottom of the barrel. There is a high turnover rate of very good employees, including Temps. It's sad that upper and middle management allow this to happen. Quality would greatly improve by keeping the good ones that take pride in what they do. Would also help to train those that need it and allow a reasonable learning curve. I have worked at other UTC companies prior to this one, and this by far has been my worst experience.

Take your eyes off your savings and stock portfolio for a while and take a good look at the backbone of your people. Moral is low and the ship is sinking.

Better than being unemployed but its not the same company it used to be.

Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Otis Elevator full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a solid training program and don't throw sales reps out into the field before they are ready. They have great tools to help you organize your sales calls and great back office support to help you get your proposals out on the street.

Cons

Hit your numbers and/or get in good with the branch manager or you're out on the streets. Salary for sales reps is among the lowest in the industry and the commission structure puts you at war with your superintendant on major projects. The superintendant is usually around a lot longer than you are, so good luck winning those fights.

Good company, bad pay

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Farmington, CT

I have been working at Otis Elevator full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, positive work environment, good mobility throughout UTC

Cons

Declining sales and poor pay compared/no bonus structure compared to other area companies