www.otterbox.com

Updated December 4, 2014
2.4

OtterBox President & CEO Brian Thomas
Brian Thomas

Fast paced and constantly changing

I have been working at OtterBox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Close nit family feeling. Structured management. Amazing product.

Cons

Very difficult to move up in the company. Compensation is changing too much.

Heartbreaking

I worked at OtterBox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are what make OtterBox so special. This place is packed with so much pure (and raw) talent. OtterBox is lucky to have such energetic and dedicated employees willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. An epic annual company party.

Genuine support and opportunities for volunteer work.

Successful company with constant growth. More opportunities on the horizon to expand into new verticals.

Cons

The key culture champions have steadily left and with them the heart and soul of what was once a great place to work. What drove them off? Were they the proverbial canaries? I hope not, but I'd love to see some of them return.

Years of mismanagement and quick fixes left scars on our business and the band-aids keep falling off. We still have some of the best and brightest, but there's just not the same authenticity and liveliness that once permeated the walls.

All in all, I'm still proud to say I work here. Despite OtterBox's issues, management repeatedly tries to fix things. Executives' heads aren't buried in the sand, they're aware of the problems and they seem willing to address them.

Stop jerking people around with compensation.

Bring back Arrested Development.

Once a start up now mature company- has made a few poor recent hires that are setting the company back

I have been working at OtterBox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

energetic company that is always changing. opportunity to learn a lot, they put the people first in most situations, executive leadership cares about the people and will make time for everyone, pay is good for the region, benifites and work environment are the best in the business, promotions are available to those who work hard.

Cons

This change can be exhausting as it is now part of the culture. Once things are running smooth big changes happen so we never get to see the change through. several new manager are not putting their team first and it is resulting in no one wanting to follow them and will be jumping ship, tons of politics right now in this organization as everyone is lobbying to get a voice since most promotions are done behind closed doors.

take hiring more serious and just because someone came from Samsung does not make them qualified to lead. recognize what really matter to people as the perks and nice building are nice but people want to make more money and feel appreciated. Invest in good people and returns will come.

Brian Thomas has been fired as president of Otterbox!!!

I worked at OtterBox

Pros

Brian Thomas has been fired!!

Cons

The other executive still work there!!

Fire them all and start over with a real decent human beings with Character and valid experience

Dream turned Nightmare

Former Employee - Engineer in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at OtterBox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The family owners, team mates, team work, environment all great!

Cons

When the management from Celestica joined the ranks it was all down hill from there! Profit share disappeared (40% of annual income), your "value" as team member completely disregarded. Product Development had 8 Directors, some had no subordinates and all of them had little to no actual manufacturing experience most were from the contract manufacturing world of "send it out for cheap, pay us a lot to do nothing!" We accomplished things at Otter that no one else in the world had done, we taught our suppliers how to do it the "Otter way", it was not an accident that Otterbox was successful great people and great teams made it happen! This new management came in with the idea that otter was broken and they were there to "fix it", things can always be improved but there was nothing broken, then anyhow.
    It is very sad to see, the ignorance and greed of a few could so quickly destroy what was once a magical thing to be apart of. I will forever cherish the memories and experiences I had with Otterbox and the Richardson family, my best wishes and prayers go out to them!

Curt, if you and your family don't want to be apart of Otterbox anymore then sell it, let it run its course and die. Don't let the fading of Otterbox be part of your legacy. Don't let it die under your control.
    I loved working for you, i loved my job, I loved your family, I don't think I will ever find anything like it ever again.
    Thank you for all the opportunity you have me!

Big promises, little follow through

Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at OtterBox as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The offices are beautiful, living in Colorado is wonderful, the hype in the beginning is exciting, free phone cases, and experience in the consumer electronics market.

Cons

The fast growth at OtterBox has left little time for policies, procedures, or culture to be established. The culture at OtterBox is sick, when culture is sick it is difficult (near impossible) to push strategy.

Stop with the smoke and mirrors, people appreciate honesty - even if it is a hard truth. The "yes man" employee that is desired by a lot of the bully managers at Otter will not foster an environment that will take you out of the box. Get rid of the bullies, you know who they are.

It will always be about who you know. Inconsistent treatment of employees depending on if you are from the "Old Schoolers" (4+ yrs), and what department/manager you have.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at OtterBox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful Office, free coffee/soda if you drink that sort of thing. Stigma of working at OtterBox. A job and a paycheck. Some amazing colleagues and strong, lifelong relationships, with beginnings build from survivalist, 'we're all in this mess together' experiences. Hard working people for the most part.

Cons

Sadly this company has gone downhill in the last Four years with inconsistent polices, (a wide range of approaches, depending mostly on length of tenure, but also department, and manager.) Some departments enjoy a very lose, and posh "Fun" budget, which means NO budget, and frivolous and frequent POSH "team building" excursions, including catered foods almost daily, and many free trips to restaurants on the company card. Also, they enjoy birthday celebrations and many other perks. Other departments, not necessarily CS, but many others, do NOT ever get team building, or catered food, (Unless your thoughtful manager happens to schedule a meeting over your lunch, and you're required to work, you will not get any paid lunches.) The main priority of the company is their image, and what it appears to be to the outside world, not realizing the fair, equal treatment of everyone will speak far louder than false PR. Work life balance is only a false PR cheer that does not exist if you want to be in good standing and not appear as a slacker. That brings us to the largest issue, the HR department, known "fondly" as "OR" (or KGB, CIA, FBI.) They recently canned the head of OR, which one would have thought would solve the issue, but as it turns out, everyone that leader hired is still there, business as usual. (Big surprise.) Of course our execs think that team is "fantastic", and tells us to believe that anytime the topic arises, (of course they are fantastic to YOU guys, gravity makes garbage rush downstream, not up.), but the actuality of this is that they are shady, dishonest, and are absolutely NOT there to support and help the employee. They are there to do whatever they can to pad the pockets of the company, and do whatever it takes to prevent anyone, (but not the elite few), from getting a raise. They string so many along on a daily, monthly, yearly basis with totally empty promises of possible raises to come, and never follow through. This has played out with many, many of my colleagues so many times. They give fake, lower level titles, and higher responsibilities to keep the pay grade lower, then feed us all with lies about how well we're all paid for our inaccurate titles. They are attempting to address this now, but the "solution" already shows how little they can be trusted - they won't even tell us what our new titles will be; that ensures zero input or conversation with your manager about this, just title by decree. And interestingly, even your own title is top secret from you! This is so that there is zero opportunity for discussion, dialog or negotiation. Also, if you bring anything taboo to their attention, they treat you right out of the box like YOU are the issue. I don't say this lightly, and wish I could go into details, as the facts would astound many, but I will not blow my cover, for fear of being taken out. Just know, they will protect the elite few, (those on the "over 5 years" list, executives, and any friends of the two afore mentioned groups.) at all cost, regardless of legality. I have personally been outright lied to at least twice, about what is "lawfully required". Thank god for legal counsel, or I would have bought the lies. I'm still there because I learned how to fake, playing the game, and got back into line quickly and dropped my head, (and inquiry about mistreatment) quickly, but only for now, while I wait for a company with integrity, that plays by the rules they preach, and has everyone using the same rule book, regardless of tenure or rank.

Clean house with most of the OR team. Not all are soulless, robots without an ounce of humanity, empathy, or relatibility, but some are horrid creatures that should be working the DMV, or as a tax agent for the government rather than at OB. Stop allowing other departments to thrive on posh perks, while others, many others, never do a dang thing for team building, or even celebrate a dang birthday with a card. There should be a limit on what marketing and sales can spend to have fun, and there should be a requirement that the other departments MUST, spend the SAME amount on each of their employees too. (The budget of each department should ONLY be based on how many people it has, and require each employee gets the opportunity participate.) If that isn't going to fly, the removal of the fun budget for the other departments is a must. I suggest the managers also get monthly reviews from their subordinates, and they're personal performance with the manager's boss is based on an in depth review from their subordinates. The ratings MUST go both ways, not just downstream, if any real data is to be collected and analyzed by this company, it must go both ways. I also suggest that OR immediately stop participating in team meetings regarding department performance when employee input is expected. NEWS FLASH, nobody is going to be honest or sincere, or have courage to speak up about issues with the "KGB" sitting there taking notes on who has something negative to bring up, and who only has positive things to say. Pay better, BETTER than the little joke of raise the entire company is getting, (even the overpaid are getting this raise?!), and at least enough to beat the profit sharing you are taking away. As it is, we will lose money, even more than we already have become accustomed to losing.

It is okay.

I worked at OtterBox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture in some departments are good.

Cons

Not all departments are "Happy"

Young, talented, and in need of organization

Former Employee - Intern in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Intern in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at OtterBox as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

• Awesome support system
    • Opportunities to advance
    • Enjoying atmosphere
    • Learning from others

Cons

• Need organization
    • Document processes and procedures

Recognize the value of documenting processes and procedures, and get everyone else on board to do that as well.

Awesome!

Current Employee - Agent in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Agent in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at OtterBox full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment, great pay, great hours.

Cons

working with customers over the phone.

keep it up!!