OtterBox

OtterBox President & CEO Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas

Awesome company, awesome people

I have been working at OtterBox full-time for more than a year

ProsAlthough OtterBox is growing fast and things change quickly, it's still an incredible place to work. The people give 150% and it feels like family. No job is perfect, but we understand what we are lacking, and everyone contributes to make it better. The hours are long but I think the pay and benefits are good.

ConsToo many people stuck om "what we used to be". There's alot of change here and if you're not comfortable with that this probably isnt the right place for you. HR department is scattered.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep reaching out to your employees to make sure they know what you're doing and how it will affect them.

It was a great learning experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at OtterBox full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, casual dress code, nice building.

ConsConstant power struggle among director level employees.

Keeping good talent is overlooked by new shinny; big talking talent.

Pay for employees is not on par with other companies in the state.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart putting your trust into your employee base will allow the company to be more successful then it already is.

People are to afraid to make mistakes. Mistakes are growing opportunities. Risk=rewards.

No room to move up

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at OtterBox full-time for more than a year

ProsThe facilities are nice and most of my co-workers are nice. I am happy with the benefits package such as healthcare and the 401K

ConsThere isn't much room for advancement and no evaluation or raises. Once you get a job, the only way to get a raise is to apply for, and get a job that pays more. They do give profit sharing, which at one point was a great form of compensation, but lately has turned into a joke. Sometimes it is no more than $30 a month.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the people you have more, so that they stick around longer.

Not drinking the Kool-Aid anymore...WTH happened to us?!

I have been working at OtterBox

ProsAmazing people!! Family like atmosphere. Great work offices!! Free lunches and team outings.

ConsPay is not competitive; however; HR will convince you otherwise by lying to you with no real facts. Profit sharing changes to make sure the top level Execs are getting their share while those who are talented and educated struggle to get by. Don't let the new acquisitions and buildings fool you, OtterBox has become a propaganda machine! They preach work/life balance, but the job demands don't allow for it. Incompetent Managers, even for a corporate world.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate, recognize, respect, trust, and empower the talent on the front line that made you a once great company. Your decisions and lack thereof is showing how disconnected you are from the real issues that have been sinking this company ever since Curt Richardson stepped down. Wake up, before it's too late or step aside for the sake of the rest of us.

Great people, great products, amazing potential for the company

I have been working at OtterBox as an intern

ProsPeople, attitude, benefits, growth. This company is truly headed places.

ConsNone, there truly are not any that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Ok, not great!

Online Marketing (Current Employee)
Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at OtterBox as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFast growth, kept very busy, industry leading brand name

ConsCulture is not what it is made out to be, long hours, mid salary company

Advice to Senior ManagementReview company vision since both brands came under portfolio

No vertical movement, stifled innovation, and too many execs out of touch.

I Had Worked At OtterBox for More Than IV Years (Former Employee)

I worked at OtterBox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, nice facilities, a good number of very smart, nice people. Huge brand potential.

ConsThe brand potential needs to be recognized, with more products being developed for things other than smart phones. The executive team is completely disconnected from 90% of the work force, and they speak with confidence and excitement, when the people doing the work know there is really little to be exited about.

There is very little opportunity to move up, as most hires are made from outside, and the incentive to give promotions and raises is limited. Giving raises would take away from the executive and managers profit sharing percentage (based on how it is setup) and so it is rarely done. Many managers hire friends and previous co-workers instead of promoting from within. There is also no rhyme or reason to their performance bonuses.

The executive team also seems to play a tug-o-war on their own, and it causes a great deal of confusion for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the product development team! Focus on quality of products, and getting a diverse line of products out the door. Smartphone cases are not sustainable.

There needs to be a more transparent procedure for raises, bonuses, and profit sharing. The lack of transparency is disturbing, especially when the profit sharing checks are small.

The Worst Work Environment I've Ever Experienced

I have been working at OtterBox full-time for less than a year

ProsModern, beautiful building
Some very intelligent and competent colleagues

ConsThe culture here is awful, and it's nothing like I heard it was from everyone I talked to around town. Everyone seems unhappy, overworked, underpaid, they're fearful of losing their jobs on a daily basis, and they feel like no matter how hard they work it will never be recognized or appreciated. Management is a joke; 99% of the time your boss is going to be in some meeting where nothing is accomplished, yet they continue to have meeting after meeting after meeting. The company obviously went through a HUGE growth spurt, but none of their processes and procedures grew with it, which means that a ton of time is spent doing things in such an inefficient way. No one ever seems to know what's going on. There were times that four months after I had been doing something the way I had been trained to, I would have someone tell me it never should have been done that way. They're never on the same page. It's just not a desirable place to be despite what the perception is to those that have never worked there and have only heard about it. I've spoken with people that believe that Curt and Nancy Richardson would be sick if they knew the way the culture was now because when it was smaller, it was full of really good, hardworking people. Now, there just seems to be resentment, fear, anger, bad attitudes, and just generally unhappy people. I think there is always potential to be something better, but they've got a long way to go, and I don't think anyone would take pleasure in coming into the environment there the way that it is now.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind time to have one-on-ones with the members of your team. Hear them out. Let go of the people that don't want to help the company be a success and a great place to be. You'll probably be doing them a favor in the long run. Find ways to minimize the amount of time spent in meetings. Reach out to the members on your team and ask them what changes they recommend that will benefit the company and save time and money.

Wonderful experience

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at OtterBox full-time for more than a year

ProsOtterBox is very understanding of the work/life balance and provides an extremely good benefits package. Many departments treat coworkers as family.

ConsAs the company grows the management has become very corporate. The fun at work is sometimes lost. I think it is crucial for management to make employees feel like they can have fun during the day as long as they are productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company grows I think it is critical that executive management makes it a priority to communicate and work with all types of employees not just their direct reports.

Fun work, fun environment, hard working/challenging environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at OtterBox full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people and a fun place to work.

ConsPoor management at the top. Don't care about their people anymore and the culture has changed dramatically in the past year for the (much) worse. Also, the base pay is really low and prior to last year, the bonus program was awesome, but they cut the bonus program by about 60% to 75%, so the pay went from exceptional to disgraceful.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to investing and caring about the people and the "numbers" will come. Bring back Curt and Nancy!

Worked for OtterBox? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OtterBox reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OtterBox CEO Brian Thomas. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by OtterBox employees.