Our Lady of the Lake RMC

K. Scott Wester

Great Hospital with passionate workers

Current Employee - Medical Scribe in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Medical Scribe in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Our Lady of the Lake RMC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff is very motivated to help the patients and patient outcomes are of utmost importance. The cafeteria also has cheap lunches for employees.

Cons

The upper management does not let the doctors do everything that they want to do and occasionally require them to order tests that are not needed.

Do not be as overbearing, but keep up the hard work.

It's was very BUSY

I worked at Our Lady of the Lake RMC

Pros

It is a catholic run hospital

Cons

Crazy busy. Can wear you out quickly. Low pay.

Give nurses raises. They the work horses.

OLOLRMC pharmacy needs a lot of work

I have been working at Our Lady of the Lake RMC

Pros

Work with high acuity patients, some really good coworkers, and great technology(DoseEdge) at times.

Cons

Bosses are inept, the pyxis machines don't always work as they are supposed to and the systems used for order entry are not always the best either. This job will demand more from you than you realize. Rotating shifts from AM shifts(7AM-3:30 or 6AM-2:30) to PM shifts(2:30PM-11PM) and then having to work the occasional graveyard shift. You work every other weekend in a normal staff position. Pharmacists are beginning to be tasked with more duties and some of which has increased workload to sometimes unsafe loads. Patient care should take priority but it seems like this is forgotten by the higher ups who won't listen to the staff. The turnover rate for pharmacists and techs is unreal. My first year, there was a loss of at least 10 pharmacists who transferred out of the hospital or who decided to find another job. There seems to be a new tech every week and at times I haven't even learned their names before they've left.

Listen to your staff. Having people designated as AM shifts, PM shifts, and graveyard would help with schedules. Using PRN's for open graveyard shifts would keep daytime workers from being pulled and leaving more gaps in the AM and PM schedule.

Great Place to Work!!!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Our Lady of the Lake RMC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the staff lived the mission and core values. Very updated on current technology. The work is hard but the staff works together to help each other. There are many smart and intelligent people working at this organization. I recently had surgery and the people were excellent!!!

Cons

There are lots of changes in this organization. It would be great if acute care staff would be able to share in the activities that are meant for the staff to be accommodated. Acute care staff can hardly make time for breaks and lunches, they should be able to take food out and enjoy it once they can take a break.

Mixed views on the Leaders

I worked at Our Lady of the Lake RMC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the staff lived the mission and core values of the organization. The onboarding and orientation is second to none, and technology is better than most companies.

Cons

The leadership that affected me and my role, did not always live the mission and core values of the company. There was no career development to retain great employees, and the pay was not great.

Take care of your good people, so that your retention rates get better. Please live the mission of the organization.

Fair

Former Employee - Patient Access Registrar in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Patient Access Registrar in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Our Lady of the Lake RMC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very large christian-based organization. Allows open prayer

Cons

No Education Department for continuing enrichment in patient access or for initial new hire. Really big problem. New employees are hired with no or very minimum experience, but horrible training is provided. Very disorganized. Slap in the face by department directors to the dedicated missionaries who make this facility possible.

Consider training patient access employees from the beginning for 90 days. Require national certification within six months of hire.

poor working conditions for RNs

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Our Lady of the Lake RMC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff for the most part are very friendly and easy going.

Cons

Completely understaffed and heavy patient ratios especially considering the acuity of the patients. Low pay, not great benefits. Lazy ancillary staff that don't want to help, everything falls on the RN to do. Empty promises of hiring more staff. High turn over, I don't know how this place is considered magnet status. Constantly out of supplies and nutrition for the patients. The meal service is a nightmare the trays take a long time to come and patients get really agitated and some have had their blood sugar drop from waiting too long.

Hire more RNs staff your units better, pay them better, hire better employees (ie. CNA and CSRs that are more capable with good work ethic)

This employer has one of the most acidic work environments I have ever experienced.

Former Employee - Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Our Lady of the Lake RMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a challenging work environment that can promote personal growth.

Cons

Salaries are rather low for the industry.

When an employee comes to you expressing that they are at their breaking point with job responsibilities, DO SOMETHING TO HELP THEM.

Great place to work and receive service

Former Employee - Scheduler for Surgery in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Scheduler for Surgery in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Our Lady of the Lake RMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefit package and work environment.

Cons

Very busy so you have to be flexible and ready to fill in case of environmental disaster e.g. hurricane.

When you have an ex employee who leave in good standard through no fault of their own e.g. to complete treatment for cancer. They should be given a chance to return to work and not be rejected.

Positive work place

Former Employee - Chest Pain Unit/Tele in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Chest Pain Unit/Tele in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Our Lady of the Lake RMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible management, willing to work around my family life

Cons

non that I can think of

none