Our Lady of the Lake University

www.ollusa.edu

Our Lady of the Lake University Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Our Lady of the Lake University – San Antonio – “MBA Graduation”

Tessa M. Pollack

Good people make up for the salary

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe employees here are driven and overall like to be here. Great community environment. Supervisors tend to be flexible with hours and schedules.

ConsThe pay is not competitive with the industry average or the area average. Employees tend to wear many hats and being overworked is not uncommon. High turnover makes it harder to work with people that are just learning the company and the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold people accountable for their jobs. Retain your good employees and coach those that have fallen behind. Compensate people fairly.

Great place to work at

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly staff, colleagues, and management.

ConsLots of changes, benefits are expensive.

good

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

Prosgood job; helps pay for little things.

Consnone; but don't rely on it to support yourself without any other means.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A wonderful and rewarding experience.

Research/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsWorking with and helping the students is pleasurable.

ConsSome of the employees think they are above the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe observant of the people around you. Be vigilant of who does the work and who takes the credit.

Wonderful

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsIt is a fun and close knit community

ConsIt is just a small campus

Our Lady of the Lake is a great place to go to school and become connected with the Community.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOLLU is a very small tight-knit community where you get to know everyone and help out the local community too. The campus is beautiful and it's really laid-back.

ConsThere is very little organization or clarity in some of the departments functioning. There also appears to be a very high turn-over rate in some departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent and stay organized.

Lack of organization and immaturity

ITS Help Desk Student Technician III (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

Pros-Staff lunches are really good
    -You are off by yourself a lot
    -You are forced to learn on your feet
    -The staff and faculty that you serve around the school are really nice and appreciative
    -You work with student employees

Cons-No training
    -Given vague instructions for tasks or "I don't know, you figure it out"
    -Office politics hinder work production on a daily basis
    -"Every man for themselves" attitude, even on co-op projects or critical tasks that need to be done
    -Alot of "he said, she said" nonsense
    -The staff in my area where so scared to make a mistake due to a power hunger boss and CTO
    - They treat their work study students really bad. They give them no guidance, no help, they get punished if they do something wrong, and they overwork them so much that it starts to affect their studies
    -Projects take a while to get started due to bickering among the staff
    -You feel like you are always watching out for yourself instead of being on a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, they need to let go of everyone in the ITS Help Desk department (including the CTO) and just start fresh. They are too many friends in the department. They need to learn that student employees are here for school, not to be over worked at minimum wage.

A great place to work

A Technology Staffer (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe best reasons to work at OLLU are the family atmosphere and general friendliness of the place. Most employees get along very well with one another and people who don't fit in tend not to stay around. Most employees are competent and hard working, and everyone has the best interests of the students in mind. Many of us "go the extra mile" to solve problems, especially when we know that the person has already had trouble in solving a particular problem.

ConsThe only downside is that some of the offices and employees don't communicate well with other offices and employees that they are supposed to have close contact with. Case in point: Financial Aid and the Business Office. You'd think it would kill a member of one office to walk 20 feet and talk to someone in the other office. Instead, they just bounce a student back and forth between them, never making it easy to solve problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementI want senior management to know how hard it is for students to get enrolled. No one in the business offices seems to want to take responsibility for getting things done. I know about students who were trying to enroll, but gave up because of all the difficulty. It is a serious problem for OLLU.

Worked for Our Lady of the Lake University? Contribute to the Community!