Outback Steakhouse Reviews

Reset
3.4
Outback Steakhouse President Jeff Smith
Jeff Smith

Pros
  • Good money for the hours worked (in 33 reviews)

• flexible schedule, ability to get customer service experence (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours for not that great of pay (in 25 reviews)

• Can be rough shifts and late nights, but still a great starting job1 (in 10 reviews)

1. Bartender /server

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse part-time

Pros

The schedule is flexible and the company has a great set of service standards and effective training system. The discount is also reasonable.

Cons

The cons are the uncontrollables such as you can't predict when it will be busy or slow so income can fluctuate without notice.

Advice to Management

Take time to inforce policies of discipline when teammates aren't holding their outback promises to the company or guests. Other than that it's a great location to work at.

2. Work out look

Former Employee - Server/Headwait in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Server/Headwait in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Outback Steakhouse

Pros

The tips were great! We had a lot of fun and was treated like family. There wasn't a high turnover, people kept their jobs. You could always work. Have time off easy too. I was headwait and my drawer came up 100$ short and instead of firing me on the spot, they took the time to see what had happened on camera. Turns out when I was taking money someone pulled the bill from me without me noticing. In problems I was treated fairly here, they investigated.

Cons

No breaks, which is illegal actually. I noticed a lot of opiate use, but that's everywhere. Many of the employees (including myself) took pain medication quite a bit. My manager even traded smoke breaks for them from us. He was eventually fires for something. I know at this point it's common, it's an epidemic in the US and servers and bartenders seems to use as many pills as a strip club might. It could just be my area.

Advice to Management

Give the employees a few minutes. I worked my tail off on major holidays, ie mother father valentine days, that we opened at ten and got off at 11 no break.

3. Server

Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The tips at outback are great depending on where you are located, the food is good and for an affordable price. It provides an excellent casual dining experience.

Cons

The portion sizes have changed so you will hear plenty of negative feedback from costomers. The employee discount is only eligible during your shift if you work a double, and you only get 25% at any other outback or bloomin brands company

Advice to Management

There should be a system in place that allows each person working a double to eat lunch at some point. I get that we are a food establishment so everyone comes to us for their lunch break but you should have people come in to break other people's shifts if they would like to eat on a busy day.

5. Head Wait

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Outback Steakhouse (More than a year)

Pros

Free meal, better section, more money

Cons

longer hours, stay past midnight most nights.

6. Great Place to Serve

Former Employee - Server in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Server in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good management, great commitment to customer service better than other restaurants Ive worked, lots of sales contests and incentives for servers

Cons

Pretty standard serving job, busing tables is never fun, long hours on your feet, slow periods

Advice to Management

Advance your quality servers quickly through the system, otherwise you're more likely to lose them.

7. I only stayed for the store itself

Former Employee - Server in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Server in Appleton, WI

I worked at Outback Steakhouse

Pros

I worked there for 3 years and had an amazing relationship with my managers. They notice hard work and you will see the benefits one way or another. If you put in the effort it's really good money for people around the age of 20. They have a lot of contests and events for employees and my coworkers were my favorite part of the job. Good discount on food and obviously it's delicious. Easy ways to move up, good recognition, super good pay, fun environment.

Cons

Some weekends you have to work doubles and it's good money but you may end up working 12 hours straight running around with no break. Managers play favorites and some coworkers were lazy and there was sometimes a lot of drama. Getting off of work was really hard most of the time.

Advice to Management

I didn't see much of an issue with management.

8. Great experience

Former Employee - Managing Partner in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Partner in Rochester, NY

I worked at Outback Steakhouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commitment to food and service

Cons

Difficult to come in at management level; far easier to start at the bottom due to company culture

9. Great work place

Current Employee - Take Way Waiter in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Take Way Waiter in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, decent management, sense of teamwork, good training, treated like a person

Cons

Often not paid for online training, customers often don't tip, no set gratuity

Advice to Management

Set up a gratuity system. Even if 10% is all that is required we would be happy. Too many people fail to tip take away employees

10. Very enjoyable work!

Former Employee - Server/Headwait in Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - Server/Headwait in Suwanee, GA

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great welcoming to the team, well known business to get your start, great work ethic, 25% at other OSI restaurants..50% at home store, GREAT tips!

Cons

Menu prices decreasing brings in cheaper clientele not willing to tip the 15-20% standard, the restaurant's mood depends on the current proprietor (franchisee), sometimes it's frustrating..but the company was great overall.

Advice to Management

Be more willing to move your star and key players up, based off of sales and personality, not managerial politics.

11. Outback Steakhouse

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Outback Steakhouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outback has great benefits, a great training program, many possibilities to be promoted, organized, they employ strong leaders and trainers

Cons

There quality of product is decreasing; from steak to dressings coming in bags and less homemade products. Starting salary is low for many hours of work.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to take time to listen to your people and it will help create a comfortable work place. Have more courage in training your employees fully before throwing them to the wolves.

RSS Feed </> Embed