Outback Steakhouse

Updated November 19, 2014
3.5

Outback Steakhouse President Jeff Smith
Jeff Smith

Pros
  • It use to be night hours only and could work 4-6 and make good money (in 31 reviews)

• Flexible schedule most of the time, decent pay for those willing to work hard (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours if not a server, they are extending work loads, while being discriminatory in promotions (in 24 reviews)

• Can be rough shifts and late nights, but still a great starting job1 (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid Job

Current Employee - Server in Ellisville, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Ellisville, MO

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work for someone going to college or looking to make fast easy money and very flexible hours. You get to meet and interact with new people on a daily basis. Also teamwork is crucial to everything running smoothly.

Cons

Customers are sometimes not the nicest people, and you work for tips so when its hot it hot.

Great Company

Current Employee - Server in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, decent clientele, amazing food. A normal server could usually make around $20,000 annually with base pay and tips.

Cons

The national promotions can sometimes bring cheap clientele in. For example: endless shrimp

The managers I worked for were awesome and fair.

Great first time restaurant job

Current Employee - Hostess in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Hostess in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone here is cool and the food is awesome. Tips are a plus. Also working here is just a good job for a first time in the food business

Cons

Outback doesn't allow much freedom when it comes to self expression and the uniform kinda sucks

They know how to serve!

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Cheyenne, WY
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Cheyenne, WY

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company Structure- the roles and responsibilities are very well defined, Training - always trained to do each role, Policies and Procedures - when the management executed well, the restaurant executed well, Employee Discount - at your restaurant and more.

Cons

Work-life balance difficult with weekends and holidays. It can be hard to change your schedule. The team is key. A bad group in your restaurant or bad manager and the whole team will suffer.

Very corporate, but they have it together!

Former Employee - Food Server in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Food Server in Savannah, GA

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training is straightforward and easy to follow.
    You are able to make money quickly.
    The locations I worked in were spacious and organized.
    Each store I worked in was up to date, or in the process of being updated.
    Meetings kept everyone on the same page.

Cons

Your salary is based upon the work ethic of your colleagues, or simply the judgment of cutomers.
    You obviously are working the majority of nights and weekends.

Pay your employees! Tipped wages in the restaurant industry need to be outlawed. There should not be so much room for judgment of a customer toward their server and vice versa. The restaurant should give good service, pay their employees a full wage, and adjust expenses where necessary within reason.

Loved working here, my location was awesome!

Former Employee - Server in Inver Grove Heights, MN
    Former Employee - Server in Inver Grove Heights, MN

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had a wonderful experience working here, I was hired as a first time server and was so glad I applied. The atmosphere was laid back, but the employees worked as a team and got things done. Guests always received the best service from us because we were happy and not micro-managed. I worked there for 4 years and they were great about giving me the schedule I needed while I went through rigorous nursing school. The owner (Drew) is such a great guy, all of the kitchen staff and the kitchen manager were awesome too. Just can't say enough good things about working there. There is great pride in the food, desserts, and drinks we served. Everything was made from scratch in-house except for the desserts. We were trained to know the menu inside and out both before starting the position, and when new special menu items came out. They allowed 2 free meals and an app during the training days so we could get a chance to try some of the items on the menu. Getting food half price was also a great deal! Of course your income is mostly from the tips, but the customers in my area weren't stingy so I felt my hard work was rewarded fairly with the tips.

Cons

It was tough at first, most of the other servers didn't like me. They came around soon enough and became my second family. If you're looking for work provided health insurance, it's tough to get enough hours every week to keep it active. But there are affordable independent options (like Medica) that you can get on your own.

Keep up the awesome work. Hope all is well Drew and Greg!

Good money, very hard work.

Former Employee - Server Trainer/Bartender in Northridge, CA
    Former Employee - Server Trainer/Bartender in Northridge, CA

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The money is good and the employees are great. If you can work hard and keep a positive attitude, it's a nice gig. Management is pretty cool about allowing time off, when discussed in advance.

Cons

Management has always been good to me, but I have seen some interactions between the managers and other employees that weren't what I would call a healthy and productive for a happy work environment. The work, for this restaurant, is difficult. Bread refills, drink refills, and most of the bussing are all done by the servers.

Careful with playing favorites. It can be disheartening to servers' moral, when some servers are given special treatment.

Family

Current Employee - Host in Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Host in Washington, PA

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone I work with is break i love my job and wouldn't be happier to come in to help the people i work with out!

Cons

Moving up in the system defiantly takes sometime unless your pushy about it and guests where i live don't appreciate anyone ever so

They are great people wouldn't change them for the world just maybe separate the duties so one manager isn't doing everything and then he is so fried you can't even talk to him

good company to work for

I worked at Outback Steakhouse

Pros

the tips and the food discount

Cons

the restaurant is not open for lunch so you can only work nights during the week.

Lost culture

I worked at Outback Steakhouse

Pros

food, locations, market penetration and systems

Cons

lost culture, micromanagement, salary bonuses

Outback Steakhouse Photos