Outback Steakhouse

Updated September 20, 2014
3.5

Outback Steakhouse President Jeff Smith
Jeff Smith

Pros
  • It use to be night hours only and could work 4-6 and make good money (in 28 reviews)

• OB has a very flexible schedule for a serving gig and the money is good (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Low starting salaries, long hours with no breaks (in 22 reviews)

• Scheduling is crazy, really late nights, no weekday morning shifts (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a Corporate Restaurant Job

I worked at Outback Steakhouse full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very tight group of coworkers that can help through anything. Free or discounted food when working that tastes pretty good. Lots of locations so if you move possibility to have a job where you move to.

Cons

Many of the same cons for any restaurant, long hours, prone to alcohol and drug addictions, high turnover, high stress dealing with the public. As a company the only con I have is that salaries tend to be a little low.

Increase salaries

Good money, bad experience.

Current Employee - Food Server  in  Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Food Server in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There isn't much I can say in a positive manner about the Outback I work at. Time-off policies are god, they generally try to give time off whenever someone needs it. It's easy to release or pick up shifts from co-workers as well as contact them. They finally got a more efficient system for the host stand so that's great too.

Cons

Training and leadership at this Outback is below sub par. Management yells and cuts their employees down if they're not doing a good job. There is a lot of favoritism, gossip and managers spend time outside of work with employees. This has to do with Outback as a whole, pay your employees is better and get the idea out of your training that the customer is always right. It makes us feel like crap when customers can come in and treat us however they want just to get free food. If we felt appreciated we would do more than work for tips, we'd want to make your company succeed.

I think the pros and cons I listed are self explanatory. Treat your employees with respect and don't use work for a place to make friends. If you do make friends leave the favoritism at the door, this is a business. Appreciate us.

Good company to work for if you're working your way up.

Former Employee - Host  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Host in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Outback Steakhouse full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're a server or work your way up in the kitchen, its pretty good pay.

Cons

Any other entry level work (host/hostess, take-out) the pay averages a little above minimum wage on slow days.

Find ways to work with employees to help promote them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Stressful

I worked at Outback Steakhouse

Pros

Learning the Outback Culture and manager experience!

Cons

Dealing with the General Manage and back workers!

Train more efficiently and understand your employees needs!

Great company to work for but there in no advancement anytime soon

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's fun working environment

Cons

The long hours You put in

Hang in the and wait

Hit or Miss

Current Employee - Curbside Takeaway
    Current Employee - Curbside Takeaway

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers for the most part have been fun and easy to get along with - even though there's still the odd bad apples. It's extremely laid back, and employees (and employers) can be very friendly and open. They have no issues moving you up to server from Takeaway (or to Takeaway from Host) as long as it's fully staffed. They are also very flexible with scheduling for the most part (great for students/second job!), but require three weeks notice before you can request off for any given day. As long as you aren't working, you do get an employee discount.

Cons

Pay is under minimum wage, as tips are "expected". Customers have so many coupons and discounts available to them that they often seem to think having a $0 balance means that there was 0% effort in the work done - and tip accordingly. They're beginning to cater to the wrong clientele for the status they wish to have as an establishment. What's the point of having policies when you just allow every customer to break them which makes the employee look foolish for trying to uphold the rule just to be shown up.

Depending on when you come in, the menu test is always changing and getting harder as they revamp the menu every few months.

While yes, they're open to mobility within the store, Takeaway seems to have an incredibly high turnover rate. Then you're stuck there because they can't have even more people leave Takeaway to work as a server. And on the topic of servers, purely from observation it seems that they are getting more and more of a workload without any added benefits. Bussers are "gone" and replaced with hosts (who will have to completely abandon the host stand to do tables).

Know each particular manager's strengths, and either avoid having them work at what they are horrible at or recognize their faults and work to improve them - regardless of how long they've been there.

Praise good work every now and then instead of only reprimanding the mistakes.

Allow servers to keep more of the money that they're working so hard for by removing/lowering tipshare and increasing hourly pay.

Good job but location is everything

I worked at Outback Steakhouse

Pros

I like working here. Corporate seemed decent. They seemed like they sort of cared about you, which is better than most companies. Really cool people worked here.

Cons

Was in a sketchy location so we had the worst customers. Demanding and then they would tip terribly. Walked out with 90 when i sold 1500 one day. Store Management didnt have your back with these horrible people. Instead they would bend over backwards to appease them. 3 table sections? What a joke. Was impossible to make a living at my location. Had to tip out a lot, for the amount of work. I have worked at 6 restaurants this had one of the highest tip outs while servers had to do the most amount of work.

Have employees backs. Change the ridiculous 3 table section only policy. Stop with the coupons. Pay other employees more and lower the tip outs

It works for Part-time work.

Former Employee - Curbside Takeaway  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Curbside Takeaway in Orlando, FL

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work Life balance is solid as a part timer although weekends and evenings are common. Decent wages plus tips. As a take-away person had time away from managers.

Cons

Manager's tend to hate their own lives and take it out on employees. Gets rather stress during peak hours and days. Have to deal with upset customers for issues that were not your mistake. Managers will make you like this job or not. Moving up in the company rather difficult and intense.

Honestly most of the issues I had come with the territory in this industry.

Outback is like Home

Current Employee - Hostess, Server  in  Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Hostess, Server in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company structure is very strong and well structured. In comparison to other restaurants, Outback is well managed with a fun relaxed environment.

Cons

Like many businesses, the Outback I worked at had seasonal ups and downs which effected my pay.

Get to know employees a little better.

Best job to have in college

Former Employee - Bartender, Key Manager  in  Barboursville, WV
    Former Employee - Bartender, Key Manager in Barboursville, WV

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great atmosphere, always busy, money every night

Cons

Constantly changing menu, stick with what works

Worked for Outback Steakhouse? Contribute to the Community!