OutboundEngine

4.5

Branndon Stewart

Sales roles require selling

I have been working at OutboundEngine full-time for less than a year

Pros

This role is not for everyone, and that is one of the reasons I love it. I have inside sales experience, so this is not my first outbound cold calling role. The environment is casual, great downtown location, AWESOME comp plan (10-12+ deals per month will get you $80K+ your first year). Also, the incentives thrown out each month are the best I have seen (Cash, electronics, trips, and more). Plus, the sales team is young as a whole (no I am not just referring to age), and I love the fact that it is so easy to stand out. The execs and managers are all clear on expectations, and make themselves available pretty much 24/7.

Cons

This is a grind. 100+ cold calls per day is tough. Also, a lot of people clearly accept this role for the wrong reasons, which is annoying, and they end up blaming the company/leadership for their problems. People like this make our role even more challenging, as they are typically very negative. Also, like any early stage start up, resources are limited, and everyone is stretched pretty thin. Given the stage OutboundEngine is at, it is time to hire more personnel to help reduce some of the burden others carry.

Hire the right sales reps, who have the right attitude and understand what this role entails. Remind people that inside sales = cold calling. Hire more people to help in key roles (operations, trainers, etc.).

So much opportunity

I have been working at OutboundEngine full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked in both startups and mega corporations and have seen the gambit of what companies offer employees. Sadly, all too many companies cover up their lack of career development, opportunity for upward mobility and ability to truly be an impactful individual contributor with lots of flashy perks and claims to having a "fun culture". At the end of the day, what I care about is being part of a team where my contributions allow me to take my career where I want it to go.... trust me no amount of healthy snacks, tasty beverages or game rooms will ever compare to that! The never ending optional training and ongoing leadership/career development we get here is awesome!! Leadership team really sets us up to be successful and truly rewards hard work.

Cons

I want an OutboundEngine coffee mug... why don't we have coffee mugs?

Never forget the value of face time with the whole company! You are all so great about it now, just don't forget about us when we grow to 300 people!

Great!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at OutboundEngine as an intern for less than a year

Pros

positive outlook towards future of the company and organization.

Cons

none that I can think of!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't drink the Kool-Aid with this company! Sales is a joke here!

Current Employee - Inside Sales  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at OutboundEngine full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can wear shorts to work. If you like loud rap music and F Bombs being dropped by management, this place is for you!

Cons

Poor middle management and outdated sales methods. Scripts!? Seriously??
    High turnover - 1 out of every 10 that start each month actually stay.
    Training should be given by qualified and knowledgeable professionals in the the sales field, not any one who has closed a deal with this company.
    No work/life balance - hours are 8-5 Monday-Friday and are paid as such, but middle management "suggests" you work 7-6 and Saturdays.
    150 calls a day is the minimum

Restructure the sales department and hire qualified sales reps.
    Hire a sales manager who is motivated by the long term success of the company, not just what he can do in the next few years to earn his stock.
    Stop paying your reps to write good reviews on this site.
    Advertise the inside sales role as a outbound cold caller.

If your looking to work with the most brilliant minds in online marketing this is the place!

I have been working at OutboundEngine full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working alongside executive management, constant support from everyone, the ability to grow yourself and most importantly the company!

Cons

If your someone who doesn't take their career seriously and put everything into what you do look for a 9-5 somewhere else. Personally I believe this is the perfect place for someone who is devoted and wants to be successful. No cons!!

Your absolutely amazing! Keep bringing new things to the table and providing amazing support for the employees!

Best sales environment

I have been working at OutboundEngine full-time for less than a year

Pros

Constant motivation, spiffs,background music. and training. They provide a "Wolf of Wall Street" vibe. If you feed off energy you will love it.

Cons

The product is marginally useful for some of their clients. You will do very well if you believe in product and culture.

Keep up the good work. Move into enterprise sales. Recognize the different motivation for

Fast moving - Excellence focused - Results driven

I have been working at OutboundEngine full-time for less than a year

Pros

The focus on excellence at OutboundEngine is nothing short of inspiring. The team is populated with incredibly capable employees who are forward thinking and focused on exceeding goals. Innovation is encouraged widely, and the talent that makes up the OE team runs with that as so many individuals contribute creative solutions to business challenges in all areas regularly.

Top performers are always acknowledged and appreciated. The executive team is visible and appropriately involved with the day to day of the front line teams, which has fostered a culture of trust and support.

The sales team has developed a very training focused environment. Tools, training, and support resources are plentiful for all employees to better themselves, learn more, and become higher performing employees.

The company also invests into things like culture events, happy hours, and other things to keep the workplace fun and lively. Benefits and time-off policies are more than fair.

Probably my favorite thing about OE is the consistent transparency preached and, more importantly, delivered from all team members, executive and front line included. It's so rewarding to see exactly what we are working towards, to be trusted with important business information, and to be expected to contribute to the company's goals.

Cons

It's a start-up, and that means we don't always have the time, people, or money to makes things as easy as some might hope. If you don't have a can-do attitude and scrappy nature, working here could be a big challenge.

Right now the two biggest teams are divided in actual physical office space which makes it more challenging to develop cross departmental relationships, but soon we should have a more unified working space to resolve that.

Keep focusing on training and development -- it is the thing that sets this company apart from others and will intrinsically reward your employees the most.

Amazing atmosphere and the best work experience that I've been a part of.

I have been working at OutboundEngine full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can't begin to describe everything that makes this place special. They offer great benefits, awesome compensation plans, advancement potential and of course free snacks. The energy and personalities that make up this work place are euphoric. It's like a movie scene and you have an opportunity to create your own role. Be a lead, or hit the road.

Cons

It's a very fast-paced environment and that can be challenging to some individuals. It takes a lot of mental fortitude to work here. Also, being downtown can be a challenge for some individuals. Austin traffic is awful and living more than a mile out of downtown can put you back with a half hour of driving and parking.

This company is 100% in the right direction. I don't have any advice, other than to keep doing what you're doing. You provide an amazing atmosphere, constant support and every opportunity in the World to make each and every one of us successful.

Diaries of a Sales Associate

I have been working at OutboundEngine full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity: You can be receive a title and salary raise within the first 3 months.

Rep development: Sales executives and managers are extremely hands on. I've been here for a year and this company is a moving train, you HAVE to practice to make yourself indispensable. Not that I'm worried about about getting fired, just standing out.
    Seriously, I used to take the pitch home and cold call my mom. Another top rep did the same with her daughter. Like I said--not necessary, but if you're like me you're not patient when it comes to making a reputation for yourself.

Management: Extremely knowledgeable, dedicated, motivating group of individuals. I really can't say enough about these folks. My own manager was actually the first sales rep OBE ever had and he is absolutely my mentor, He has an amazing attitude and perspective-- and is honest about where you stand within the company--which I appreciate.
    Also, I would follow our VP of sales into battle. If you come work with us--ask him for all the help you can and be a sponge.

Cons

The only thing I can only think of is people taking advantage of the managers' lax attitude. It's not cool, and it takes away from the intensity of the floor. This isn't Dell or Google where you can put in 70% effort and fool yourself into thinking you are contributing. I mean, if you are looking for kushy and coasty check out jobs.rackspace.com. Perhaps the real con here is a floor susceptible to mood swings?

Keep up the good work. Invest more efforts towards leads

Retention Client Success Manager

Current Employee - Retention Client Success Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Retention Client Success Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at OutboundEngine full-time for more than a year

Pros

Outstanding management and co-workers! Cynthia Balusek is the best boss ever!

Best autonomy where our suggestions to make the business better are considered and implemented!

Our sales team kicks butt, and makes my job so much easier! We really work together as a team to make this a phenomenal place to work!

Location! Location! Location! Working downtown is fun filled and allows us to really mingle with other start up companies in the business!

Cons

The building - just that we're in an old building, while eclectic and has style, we do experience phone issues. However, it's in the works to move to a new updated fantastic new building! (so problem almost solved ;)

Keep up the good work - we're not only on track to hit all our goals we're exceeding them!

Worked for OutboundEngine? Contribute to the Community!