Outerwall

www.outerwall.com

Outerwall Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

J. Scott Di Valerio

Great company. Treats all employees well and with respect. A rarity in any line of business.

Program Manager (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat senior leadership, committed to the bottomline, while keeping the customer and the employee in full view creating a well rounded company.

ConsWe continue to lag behind on many technology fronts but it is getting better. All in all not many CONS to find here at Outerwall

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great again to offer as a benefit...an employee-stock purchase program. It was taken away a few years back and many employees would love to see it returned.

customer service agent at the pasco, wa call center

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Pasco, WA

Prossnacks, free movie rentals, other coworkers, medical/dental and vision is outstanding. no stock option but the 401k company matching program of 5% is a great bonus.

Consunorganized, software programs that are "farmed out" causing frequent glitches in the system and lack of employee power, little room for advancement, starting pay$10, strict attendence, poor manager support, gossip, and irrate customers that we are not given the ability to assist due to limitations within the programs. our site director quit last month and since then, what was left of the morale has plummeted, people are quitting/getting fired right and left at a pace that is high, even for a call center. very strict and judgemental upper leadership, yet half our the supervisors there are clueless and disrespectful.

Advice to Senior Managementgive us some positive feedback and assure us that this call center isnt going to close as commonly believed

Outerwall

ProsUp until recently there were really great bonuses and it was a fun place to work. Lots of growth.

ConsConstant leadership changes. Focus is on very short term results and investors.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low morale at company

ProsGood benefits and casual work attire

ConsCares more about what the community thinks than their own employees

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend money to help the employees do their jobs with head count and have the tools needed to increase business and quit wasting money on Nascar and social responsibility. Without dedicated employees the business will suffer.

Redbox: used to be a great place to work

Senior Individual Contributor In IT (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsThe company had a generous benefits package, including a stock sharing and bonus structure for those at a certain 'grade' level and above. When I started in 2010, it was a very fun place to work while Mitch was the President of Redbox. No longer. There used to be many fun company and division events that kept the work environment lively and fun.

ConsThere was a huge lay-off of Information Technology talent on December 9, 2013 which gutted the organization. Those in IT who were left behind have been steadily leaving the organization. The bonus plan has been reduced. From the people I know who still work there, the atmosphere is now one of just hanging onto your job. Redbox has gone from being a fun, exciting place to be with many excited and talented people to a 'keep the lights on' environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sorry that you decided to gut the organization. Redbox was one of my favorite employers and prior to 2013 a truly great place to work.

Good company to work for

Field Technician (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits. Upper management is fairly good but like other top-heavy companies, a bit detached. However , they encourage input from employees. Very diverse company.

ConsRaises and bonuses are non-existent. As long as you negotiate a good starting salary, you will be fine. 40 hour work weeks always ran over 50 to 80 hours

Outerwall some good people in upper management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice location, still some potential with Redbox subsidiary and some of the employees who are not directors and above.

ConsToo cost conscience. They fly by the seat of their pants when making decisions. Not thinking outside the box.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate, change culture, Perform your due diligence before you make decisions. Don't just look at the dollars and cents. Get rid of the managers that stick to the old ways.

Company in wild flex

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWell funded, good salaries, good hours, good co-workers.

ConsIt's clear after seeing internally how things were run that the only reason the company has done well to date was because they were in the right place at the right time providing the right product. That dynamic is quickly changing.

It seems like the middle to upper management seem more interested in climbing the ladder than getting to know boots on the ground what's going on. I was surprised at the level of snobbery demonstrated at this company. I've never seen that to such a degree. I suppose that's what happens when a company grows as quickly as this did.

The recent huge layoff was a necessary course correction, however it did cut too deep and the timing (weeks before Christmas) says a lot about the new direction of the company. It was lazily and sloppily done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to your wheelhouse (kiosks) - you're still well funded for now so use it wisely. What failed could have succeeded. Continue with developing new ventures (not just the ones you have now) but do them differently by leveraging the shared services model that you started end of 2012 (you have a good hardware engineering team - grow it, utilize it). At least 2 of the axed ventures could be quite profitable but would have to be done VERY differently. Reallocate your technical spending from external to internal - build the necessary technical teams and keep them flexible and shared across the LOBs. Keep departmental empire-building to a minimum. Leverage the shared-resources model, and don't try to reinvent the wheel as you move forward.

Dramatic Change in Culture

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsGood people, but they are leaving in droves. Free movie rentals, snacks.

ConsMost management does not know how to deal with people. In the technical area, if you are good technically they promote you to manager. Most technical people do not have people skills and it is very apparent here.

When the parent company felt pressure from investors to cut everything that did not make money today again, they killed projects that were potential replacements to Redbox. We all know that technology marches on and DVDs will be a thing of the past. Now is the time to do research and development on the next product(s). That is not happening. This company will not be here in 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need more people managers. Address the sinking morale before it is too late. It may already be too late.

Not a Career Company - They do not stand behind their Values.

Regional Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe biggest pros for the company is the benefits where nice. That was it.

ConsThe direction of the company over the last 10 years has changed almost 10 to 15 times a year and the leadership seems to change every 6 months. So there is no stability. Also the work life balance is almost impossible if your a salaried employee. No employee incentive after this year aka no bonuses. If your looking for a career good luck , on average you may get 5 years before your laid off . Only chance for advancement is if you live near the corporate in Bellevue, WA or in Oakbrook, IL for redbox

Advice to Senior ManagementAt one point Redbox which is part of outerwall, had a friendly work environment where people enjoyed their jobs and actually like the company they were working for. When cointsar bought Redbox they sort of destroyed that and did not give any effort to rebuilding it to almost 3 years later at which point the culture that made redbox successful was destroyed. If you do not care about your employee how do you expect your employee to care about the company and the quality of work. If the employee is not happy the quality of work goes down and the customer service levels drop with it. I understand that you have to balance cost but it does not always have to be about giving the person more money. At one point Redbox use to do things for peoples birthdays, when some one had a baby they sent a starter pack. Even the christmas gatherings raised the spirits of the employees. They use to show genuine concern for peoples well being. But over the past few years all of that seems to have vanished. The morale in the workforce for both coinstar and redbox are is so low it would take a mircale to recover. I enjoyed working for this company, i got to help it and watch it grow. There was a time when an employee voice mattered. Sadly that time has past and i fear the years i spent helping build this company up has gone to waste and in a few years will be no more.

Last but not least their values. They talk about Integrity yet they lied to their employees and share holdres especially in the first half of last year in regards fiscal numbers. Respect, the leadership respected other people in the leadership but rarely was respect shown to the workforce that made them the money. Accountability, who holds upper management accountable, seems to be no one. When something goes wrong they blame the field, the people who are actually working, instead of looking inwards at bad decisions. Dedication, they had dedication especially when it came to making money but dedication to their employees or customer service not so much. Humility, this one one seen a few times but only the original leadership of redbox like Mitch lowe or Greg Kaplan. Those guys i would have followed any where they were they were True leaders. Than there is communication, What communication. Often times middle management was left out of the loop and would have bombs dropped on them last minute, instead of bringing them into the communication circle so they could prepare and prepare their people they were left out to dry. Communication is one of the biggest keys to success but for outerwall its at the bottom of their list just like on their values list. If they could fix that one piece maybe mistakes could have been avoided and layoffs might not have happened.

Worked for Outerwall? Contribute to the Community!