Outerwall Reviews

44 reviews filtered by
Nora Denzel

Direction needed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment, generous benefits, caring leadership and peer teams, competitive compensation package with interesting non-standard benefits as well, heavy focus on diversity and inclusion.

Cons

Leadership has been listless for a year +, poor strategic direction setting and implementation, poor communication across areas of business, poor growth and development, lack of follow through from senior leadership, trying to grow while cutting jobs left and right

I feel that Nora will be able to take the company in a better direction but the company is still floundering when it comes to getting people behind a single company vision and moving towards that. Work on the company being so fragmented and disjointed.

Was once great...

I worked at Outerwall full-time

Pros

Great benefits which included a wellness program, 401K match, a PTO plan to be used whenever you needed to (opposed to vaca and sick time), great hours, lots of wonderful people, and most of the time it was a fun place to work.

Cons

Management does not listen, they promote individuals who have no business being promoted. There is no real innovation, even though the company touts innovation as a primary vision.

Great kick off to my graphic design career

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Outerwall full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Design opportunities are growing quickly, providing awesome experience (eg: sponsorships with the Seahawks as well as others)
    - Tons of creative work: entry level position that lets you actual create designs from scratch, not just boring production work
    - Clients are all internal, you rarely have to deal with the general public
    - Really good benefits, and decent pay ($40-60K), and good bonuses
    - On the design side: very open to designers fresh out of college, provided your portfolio is good
    - Opportunities to travel, include design conferences
    - Friendly, welcoming coworkers, LGBT friendly
    - I got more varied and valuable experience in 2 years than I have in my entire career and college combined

Cons

General
    - Nearly no room for upward mobility. Usually people work 2-4 years, then find a better job elsewhere.
    - Going through CEOs really fast, it's hard to predict where the company is headed.

Design Team Specific
    - The design team is very understaffed, and due to previous success they have a LOT of pressure to perform huge tasks with nearly impossible deadlines
    - For a job under $50K, you have a LOT of responsibility and a ton of work to accomplish in a short amount of time
    - Contractors are paid good overtime wages, but as a FTE I had a lot of pressure to work exempt overtime every single week 50 hr/wk were the new 40 hr/wk. I felt like this could be avoided with better management.
    - Job responsibilities include: print design, web design, production designer, design consultant, print buyer, quality assurance, inventory management, press checking, photography, and countless others. The manager will work with your strengths, and you'll learn a lot on the fly, but expect to be working the equivalent of 2-3 jobs in a 40 hour week.
    - Almost every job is a rush job, so be expected to "drop everything" at least once a day

Dear higher-ups, please provide more than a month notice for big name projects. You expect the design team to do the work of a 20-person team in under a month! Please provide the design team with a larger headcount, or you'll never be able to keep up this pace.

5. Good Experience and Great Culture

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Outerwall full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Wonderful team environment
    - Friendly, open, hard-working culture
    - Opportunity for growth and new experiences

Cons

- Constantly changing company
    - Uncertain times

Invest even more in your employees.

The ride is over...time to get off

I worked at Outerwall

Pros

Good people (for the most part)
    Nice work environment

Cons

Squeezing cash to return to shareholders...little investment in innovation
    The entrepreneurs are gone...The Redbox heyday is over...no pipeline

Your leaders lack the entrepreneurial spirit and inspiration that made the company great. Their bloated salaries and micro-management approach are a burden on the organization. Overhaul the c-suite before it's too late.

7. Great people, great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall (more than a year)

Pros

What I love about working at Outerwall is the amazing people and the continued community support through the company's volunteer and giving program. I love the wonderful things that the company and its employees are doing for local communities across the nation, their support of veterans and their sustainability efforts. It's the right way to do business. On a professional level, I really love working with my manager. She is extremely kind, intelligent and compassionate. I've learned a ton working with her over the past year (almost year and a half). She respects me as an expert in my field, while she also always provides clear feedback and professional advice that helps me develop and grow. I can honestly say that I am better at what I do today, than when I started over a year ago. I attribute that to the collaborative and respectful relationship that I have with my manager.

Cons

There are cons to any situation. My belief is that the biggest part of a person's success come from their attitude, and then their work ethic.

None.

Coinstar Management is horrible - You will regret coming here (I know I do)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (more than a year)

Pros

free snacks and free parking

Cons

Management lacks the ability to make strategic decisions. The Company promotes based on personal relationships. Anyone that questions why things are done a certain way will eventually be fired or have their job eliminated. The corporate offices have had 3 layoffs in the past 12 months. Anyone worth having on a team has either been laid-off or has left at their first opportunity. Employees that do no more than follow orders do well within the organization. There is a lot of political game play at corporate. Only join Coinstar if you really need the paycheck and you are ready to twilight your career. You will learn no new skills while in this organization. The exception being how to deal with incompetence and frustration.

Look externally for some real talent.

Good company, but everyone is overworked

Current Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- good benefits
    - work/life balance

Cons

- Way too much office politics that gets in the way of getting things done right, the first time.
    - Everyone I know at the corporate office is overworked, especially as more layoffs happen
    - Traditional old office setting. Not exactly an exciting place for up and coming rockstars to work at.

- stop being prima donnas and make decisions based on the company's big picture, instead of trying to make your department look good

10. Not perfect, but a great place to grow

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Outerwall really cares about growing their people professionally, and that shows through how employees are rewarded, how they are treated and the culture of "just do it" that pervades throughout. There is an opportunity to explore those things you are interested in professionally and seeing if that's where your career will take you.

From where I sit, the work-life balance is absolutely amazing. I have never felt like I've had to sacrifice my personal life for the job, but on the same token I have never felt bored. I don't know how they've figured this out, but it's much appreciated. This isn't true for all teams, but it is for a lot.

Cons

The company is in flux. With Redbox projected to decline in the next 3-5 years, there is some uncertainty about where the next big revenue generator will be. There are some great opportunities, but since each individual business operates in their own bubble, it can be hard to use resources in one LOB to support a new, burgeoning one.

Just keep pushing more work *across* LOBs instead of keeping them siloed. More work should be in Shared Services in order to create scale, objectivity and flexibility throughout the organization. Leaders need to be more inspirational and passionate.

Once Great, Now Lost

Current Employee - Project Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, The company as a whole encourages growth and movement within the company. I have been given many opportunities and am very grateful to redbox. However, i feel those opportunities are drying up.

Cons

Outdated systems such as Lotus notes and they are not investing in new systems to align all of the lines of businesses. The investment company Jana is the largest shareholder and in Dec 2013 there were lots of layoffs since then moral has dropped and people are leaving left and right and positions are not being filled. There are also massive cutbacks.