Outerwall Reviews

Updated April 29, 2015
50 reviews filtered by
Nora Denzel
1 Rating

Pros
  • Work-life balance is great, lots of paid time off is awarded each pay period (in 7 reviews)

• Good Benefits, The company as a whole encourages growth and movement within the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • All but 2 new ventures were shutdown (in 3 reviews)

• Others have been fired for much less, yet no one in the HR team was laid off in December 2013 or let go (in 3 reviews)

1. A company in transition but still a good place to work

I have been working at Outerwall

Pros

Great benefits! Very rich benefits plan and concierge service. Snacks and drinks provided. Diversity is encouraged and the interactions with employees are very respectful.

Cons

Still working on figuring out who we are as a company; it hinders our ability to recruit new employees if we don't have a clear vision. I believe we are a company in transition and we will come out of it, it is just that we are currently in the painful part of it.

2. Overall rewarding work environment

I worked at Outerwall full-time

Pros

People oriented; interesting technology; good benefits

Cons

Lately too much turmoil in strategy and direction

3. Business/Systems Analyst

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Outerwall as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, laid back, and fun people to work with. Very flexible environment, and overall care for their employees. Very forward thinking.

Cons

Often working with older technology. Tough to get improvements approved and implemented through a lot of bureaucracy. Often have frequent organization hierarchy changes which can be disruptive to career development.

Advice to Management

Implement better management of programs to get a better vision of what's going on in the organizations. Often quick hit projects low hanging fruit benefits don't get attention because they are drown out by larger projects.

5. Anonymous

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic manager, customers love the products

Cons

Ability to grow your career often depends on the team and manager, uncertain company future

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to engage employees and help them feel confident in the future of the company

6. Director

Current Employee - Vice President in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bellevue location, time off for community support, office park offers free gym and nice walking trails.

Cons

redbox is a rapidly dying business and there is an ongoing cycle of budget cutting and layoffs to make up for the shrinking DVD rental industry. Everyone is on pins and needles wondering who will be in the next layoff round. Bonus payouts have been a small fraction of target for several years running. The stock plummeted when the board let go of the prior CEO in January and hasn't recovered.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the longer term management that has run the company into the ground and bring in a new senior executive team.

7. Was a good company...lost its way

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Outerwall full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Casual dress code. Pay and benefits are great. Work from home and flexible work arrangements. Working with a great core group of people. Redbox is a great place. People still try to work together as much as possible.

Cons

WAY too many layers of management. Directors who have no direct reports. Managers with no direct reports. Blatant overspending and poor decision making by leadership. Coinstar ruined Redbox. They continually took all the profits from Redbox and make completely idiotic "strategic investments". Senior leadership did a poor job communicating. Redbox comprised over 85% of the revenue of the entire company yet were punished when sales started to slow down. Coinstar execs reaped the benefits and rode the cash cow for as long as they could. In the end, it was Redbox that received the black eye...not Coinstar (or Outerwall...). Don't get me started on the whole "rebranding". Just plain dumb. No one knows (or cares) who Outerwall is. Yet another idiotic decision.

Advice to Management

Find a direction and stick with it. Continually "pivoting" doesn't help anyone and just adds to confusion as to what the ultimate goal is. If you make a mistake, admit it. Don't cover it up and look for people to blame

Direction needed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment, generous benefits, caring leadership and peer teams, competitive compensation package with interesting non-standard benefits as well, heavy focus on diversity and inclusion.

Cons

Leadership has been listless for a year +, poor strategic direction setting and implementation, poor communication across areas of business, poor growth and development, lack of follow through from senior leadership, trying to grow while cutting jobs left and right

Advice to Management

I feel that Nora will be able to take the company in a better direction but the company is still floundering when it comes to getting people behind a single company vision and moving towards that. Work on the company being so fragmented and disjointed.

Was once great...

I worked at Outerwall full-time

Pros

Great benefits which included a wellness program, 401K match, a PTO plan to be used whenever you needed to (opposed to vaca and sick time), great hours, lots of wonderful people, and most of the time it was a fun place to work.

Cons

Management does not listen, they promote individuals who have no business being promoted. There is no real innovation, even though the company touts innovation as a primary vision.

Great kick off to my graphic design career

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Outerwall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Design opportunities are growing quickly, providing awesome experience (eg: sponsorships with the Seahawks as well as others)
    - Tons of creative work: entry level position that lets you actual create designs from scratch, not just boring production work
    - Clients are all internal, you rarely have to deal with the general public
    - Really good benefits, and decent pay ($40-60K), and good bonuses
    - On the design side: very open to designers fresh out of college, provided your portfolio is good
    - Opportunities to travel, include design conferences
    - Friendly, welcoming coworkers, LGBT friendly
    - I got more varied and valuable experience in 2 years than I have in my entire career and college combined

Cons

General
    - Nearly no room for upward mobility. Usually people work 2-4 years, then find a better job elsewhere.
    - Going through CEOs really fast, it's hard to predict where the company is headed.

Design Team Specific
    - The design team is very understaffed, and due to previous success they have a LOT of pressure to perform huge tasks with nearly impossible deadlines
    - For a job under $50K, you have a LOT of responsibility and a ton of work to accomplish in a short amount of time
    - Contractors are paid good overtime wages, but as a FTE I had a lot of pressure to work exempt overtime every single week 50 hr/wk were the new 40 hr/wk. I felt like this could be avoided with better management.
    - Job responsibilities include: print design, web design, production designer, design consultant, print buyer, quality assurance, inventory management, press checking, photography, and countless others. The manager will work with your strengths, and you'll learn a lot on the fly, but expect to be working the equivalent of 2-3 jobs in a 40 hour week.
    - Almost every job is a rush job, so be expected to "drop everything" at least once a day

Advice to Management

Dear higher-ups, please provide more than a month notice for big name projects. You expect the design team to do the work of a 20-person team in under a month! Please provide the design team with a larger headcount, or you'll never be able to keep up this pace.

11. Good Experience and Great Culture

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Outerwall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Wonderful team environment
    - Friendly, open, hard-working culture
    - Opportunity for growth and new experiences

Cons

- Constantly changing company
    - Uncertain times

Advice to Management

Invest even more in your employees.