Outerwall Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Nora Denzel

Pros
  • Work/Life balance was amazing and great benefits (oddly using the Coinstar machine for free was not one of them) (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits and casual work attire (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • All but 2 new ventures were shutdown (in 3 reviews)

• No one was held accountable for anything (in 3 reviews)

1. Great people, great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall (More than a year)

Pros

What I love about working at Outerwall is the amazing people and the continued community support through the company's volunteer and giving program. I love the wonderful things that the company and its employees are doing for local communities across the nation, their support of veterans and their sustainability efforts. It's the right way to do business. On a professional level, I really love working with my manager. She is extremely kind, intelligent and compassionate. I've learned a ton working with her over the past year (almost year and a half). She respects me as an expert in my field, while she also always provides clear feedback and professional advice that helps me develop and grow. I can honestly say that I am better at what I do today, than when I started over a year ago. I attribute that to the collaborative and respectful relationship that I have with my manager.

Cons

There are cons to any situation. My belief is that the biggest part of a person's success come from their attitude, and then their work ethic.

Advice to Management

None.

2. Not perfect, but a great place to grow

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outerwall really cares about growing their people professionally, and that shows through how employees are rewarded, how they are treated and the culture of "just do it" that pervades throughout. There is an opportunity to explore those things you are interested in professionally and seeing if that's where your career will take you.

From where I sit, the work-life balance is absolutely amazing. I have never felt like I've had to sacrifice my personal life for the job, but on the same token I have never felt bored. I don't know how they've figured this out, but it's much appreciated. This isn't true for all teams, but it is for a lot.

Cons

The company is in flux. With Redbox projected to decline in the next 3-5 years, there is some uncertainty about where the next big revenue generator will be. There are some great opportunities, but since each individual business operates in their own bubble, it can be hard to use resources in one LOB to support a new, burgeoning one.

Advice to Management

Just keep pushing more work *across* LOBs instead of keeping them siloed. More work should be in Shared Services in order to create scale, objectivity and flexibility throughout the organization. Leaders need to be more inspirational and passionate.

3. Great company. Treats all employees well and with respect. A rarity in any line of business.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great senior leadership, committed to the bottomline, while keeping the customer and the employee in full view creating a well rounded company.

Cons

We continue to lag behind on many technology fronts but it is getting better. All in all not many CONS to find here at Outerwall

Advice to Management

It would be great again to offer as a benefit...an employee-stock purchase program. It was taken away a few years back and many employees would love to see it returned.

5. Integrity

Former Employee - Field Technician in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Field Technician in San Jose, CA

I worked at Outerwall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company, great management team, does what it says it will do, wish them continued success.

Cons

none that I can see, every project doesn't work out, that's just business.

Advice to Management

Dig deep, try to gain a personal perspective when it comes to employees, better results achieved.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. Teams are collaborative with a genuine interest in improving the business. With the new CEO the executive team is top notch, diverse and the best I've worked with in my long career. They also focus on and invest in the environment, local community and giving back.

Cons

The systems and process need a lot of improvement; however, the management team recognizes this and are moving in the right direction - but it will take time.

With the management team split between WA and IL, the distance and phone vs. face-to-face can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the direction headed. Expand the successful pilot businesses faster to off-set the slower growth of Coin and Redbox. Look for international opportunities.

7. Field Technician

Former Employee - Field Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at Outerwall full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay Grade, Flexible field work schedule, health benefits are above average.

Cons

Difficult to meet goals. Goals which seem to be misguided as to what constitutes customer satisfaction.

8. inside the outerwall

I have been working at Outerwall

Pros

benefits, work schedule and training are all great. outerwall is always making an effort to improve processes as well as keep work life balance

Cons

there aren't too many cons. there has been changes in some areas of leadership which makes things among the rank and file uneasy but overall if you perform then you have no worries.

Great kick off to my graphic design career

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Outerwall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Design opportunities are growing quickly, providing awesome experience (eg: sponsorships with the Seahawks as well as others)
    - Tons of creative work: entry level position that lets you actual create designs from scratch, not just boring production work
    - Clients are all internal, you rarely have to deal with the general public
    - Really good benefits, and decent pay ($40-60K), and good bonuses
    - On the design side: very open to designers fresh out of college, provided your portfolio is good
    - Opportunities to travel, include design conferences
    - Friendly, welcoming coworkers, LGBT friendly
    - I got more varied and valuable experience in 2 years than I have in my entire career and college combined

Cons

General
    - Nearly no room for upward mobility. Usually people work 2-4 years, then find a better job elsewhere.
    - Going through CEOs really fast, it's hard to predict where the company is headed.

Design Team Specific
    - The design team is very understaffed, and due to previous success they have a LOT of pressure to perform huge tasks with nearly impossible deadlines
    - For a job under $50K, you have a LOT of responsibility and a ton of work to accomplish in a short amount of time
    - Contractors are paid good overtime wages, but as a FTE I had a lot of pressure to work exempt overtime every single week 50 hr/wk were the new 40 hr/wk. I felt like this could be avoided with better management.
    - Job responsibilities include: print design, web design, production designer, design consultant, print buyer, quality assurance, inventory management, press checking, photography, and countless others. The manager will work with your strengths, and you'll learn a lot on the fly, but expect to be working the equivalent of 2-3 jobs in a 40 hour week.
    - Almost every job is a rush job, so be expected to "drop everything" at least once a day

Advice to Management

Dear higher-ups, please provide more than a month notice for big name projects. You expect the design team to do the work of a 20-person team in under a month! Please provide the design team with a larger headcount, or you'll never be able to keep up this pace.

10. Good Experience and Great Culture

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Outerwall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Wonderful team environment
    - Friendly, open, hard-working culture
    - Opportunity for growth and new experiences

Cons

- Constantly changing company
    - Uncertain times

Advice to Management

Invest even more in your employees.

Good company, but everyone is overworked

Current Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- good benefits
    - work/life balance

Cons

- Way too much office politics that gets in the way of getting things done right, the first time.
    - Everyone I know at the corporate office is overworked, especially as more layoffs happen
    - Traditional old office setting. Not exactly an exciting place for up and coming rockstars to work at.

Advice to Management

- stop being prima donnas and make decisions based on the company's big picture, instead of trying to make your department look good

RSS Feed </> Embed