Outerwall

www.outerwall.com

Outerwall Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

J. Scott Di Valerio

Great company. Treats all employees well and with respect. A rarity in any line of business.

Program Manager (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat senior leadership, committed to the bottomline, while keeping the customer and the employee in full view creating a well rounded company.

ConsWe continue to lag behind on many technology fronts but it is getting better. All in all not many CONS to find here at Outerwall

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great again to offer as a benefit...an employee-stock purchase program. It was taken away a few years back and many employees would love to see it returned.

Integrity

Field Technician (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsAwesome company, great management team, does what it says it will do, wish them continued success.

Consnone that I can see, every project doesn't work out, that's just business.

Advice to Senior ManagementDig deep, try to gain a personal perspective when it comes to employees, better results achieved.

Great Place to Work

Director (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsThe culture is great. Teams are collaborative with a genuine interest in improving the business. With the new CEO the executive team is top notch, diverse and the best I've worked with in my long career. They also focus on and invest in the environment, local community and giving back.

ConsThe systems and process need a lot of improvement; however, the management team recognizes this and are moving in the right direction - but it will take time.

With the management team split between WA and IL, the distance and phone vs. face-to-face can be challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving in the direction headed. Expand the successful pilot businesses faster to off-set the slower growth of Coin and Redbox. Look for international opportunities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for

Field Technician (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits. Upper management is fairly good but like other top-heavy companies, a bit detached. However , they encourage input from employees. Very diverse company.

ConsRaises and bonuses are non-existent. As long as you negotiate a good starting salary, you will be fine. 40 hour work weeks always ran over 50 to 80 hours

Great company experiencing most challenging period

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, emphasis on values, compensation, benefits, 2 great business histories (Coinstar and Redbox), good casual environment

ConsIn microscope of investors, facing difficult transition from growth company to maturing business

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-invent the 5 year plan with new growth assumptions

Great Potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsCustomers love the products - Redbox, Coinstar
    Technology organization has great people
    Great benefits and a health/wellness program

ConsConfusing culture - locations vs corporate
    HR and Finance are out of touch

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the values

Growth company striving to compete for talent with big companies in PNW

Management (Former Employee)

Pros- great work environment and people...almost still small enough to be family
    - ability to grow and develop skills from great people
    - benefits are progressive and fair with many small "fringe" benefits
    - innovation and technology are two attributes that the company wants and puts effort into
    - clear strengths in operations, money handling, retail sales and business development

Cons- smaller company where opportunities to grow within are not great but they do come up so not really a big deal if you can get in the door, execute well and are good at networking.
    - developing employees is often talked about but not consistently executed

Advice to Senior Management- stick with the strategy and develop your people. the rest will follow

Laid off after nearly 13 years. My first 10 years were great. After that it was awful.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsGood for getting paid well, vacation time, and work life balance. The benefits are good. In my early years I learned a lot.

ConsManagement is not good. They are all new and unknown. I was not impressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lay off people just before Christmas. It's beyond me how my immediate managers satisfied those core values.

Experience was great, worked with some awesome people. Will miss the place.

Quality Assurance (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGreat work environment. Great location i Oak Brook Terrace. People were smart and dedicated. Technology was interesting. Never a dull moment on the job Nice perks. Not stessful

ConsFuture was uncertain for company. Lots of rumors on direction company was taking. Not enough information flowing down to lower levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your SMEs.

Redbox: used to be a great place to work

Senior Individual Contributor In IT (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsThe company had a generous benefits package, including a stock sharing and bonus structure for those at a certain 'grade' level and above. When I started in 2010, it was a very fun place to work while Mitch was the President of Redbox. No longer. There used to be many fun company and division events that kept the work environment lively and fun.

ConsThere was a huge lay-off of Information Technology talent on December 9, 2013 which gutted the organization. Those in IT who were left behind have been steadily leaving the organization. The bonus plan has been reduced. From the people I know who still work there, the atmosphere is now one of just hanging onto your job. Redbox has gone from being a fun, exciting place to be with many excited and talented people to a 'keep the lights on' environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sorry that you decided to gut the organization. Redbox was one of my favorite employers and prior to 2013 a truly great place to work.

Worked for Outerwall? Contribute to the Community!