Outsell (California)

Updated November 7, 2014
Updated November 7, 2014
2.5

Anthea C. Stratigos

Great work-life balance and many opportunities for driven, smart people.

I have been working at Outsell (California) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outsell is a fabulous company for young talent looking to grow professionally and develop their strengths in a variety of areas. Senior management provides valuable mentoring, new challenges and opportunities not available at larger companies and invests in the professional development of promising employees. They truly place their trust in you and provide the resources and attention necessary to succeed in new challenges. Outsell is also very attractive for those with developed careers that are looking to hone their skills, develop an expertise in an area of interest or want the opportunity to own and shape new products, contributing strategic thinking and ideas alongside senior management. And, for all employees, Outsell provides the ability to work remotely but still have the opportunity to visit clients, do speaking engagements, travel to relevant events and to meet face-to-face with colleagues for work groups. Bottom Line: If you're a slacker, have limited self-discipline and need micromanaging or intend on abusing the work-from-home and relaxed vacation policies, you're probably not going to last long at Outsell where employees are measured on the quality of their output, their innovative thinking, contributions to the research and ability to manage their time effectively, all while enjoying a wonderful work-life balance. Outsell is a special place and one where I could see myself working again someday. Finally, I must add, Anthea Stratigos is one of the most compassionate and self-aware CEOs or executives I've ever encountered and if you prove your value to the team and make your goals and aspirations clear, she will help you make them happen.

Sidenote: The disgruntled employee who is immaturely and repeatedly writing negative and inaccurate reviews of Outsell, probably wasn't deserving of the opportunities and privileges valuable employees are awarded here.

Cons

Employees who find it difficult to focus at home may not excel.

Continue nurturing young talent and rewarding smart employees who work hard and play well with the team.

Flexible, Fast-Paced, Industry Leader

I have been working at Outsell (California) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible working environment, as the company is virtual with a small HQ office, which is a big plus in 24/7 work environment. No one is tracking your time, as long as your work gets done. Very cooperative culture--analysts and staff are quick to help one another, and the level of engagement and intelligence is quite high. Company is smack dab in the middle of an exciting vortex--information, technology, and media.

Cons

Because of the virtual office environment across multiple time zones (West Coast to Europe) it's sometimes problematic to coordinate efforts among all the team members, but things work out, mostly because of the flexibility of the staff.

Keep up the transparency, and keep up the communication with virtual employees. Everyone's busy but communication is a keystone for success.

Great learning experience - a lot has changed in a few years

I worked at Outsell (California) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had a great experience during my time at Outsell. The company is family and life friendly. The work life balance is something that Outsell really understands as a company. They value their employees and the work that they do, but they also understand that everyone has lives and no one wants to be stuck in an office for 80 hours a week. They understand that situations come up, life happens, and things get in the way. As long as you focus while you’re at work, and get your work done, Outsell is very supportive.

Outsell functions in a virtual environment. They focus on hiring the best, no matter where they may be. This means that you get to work with people not only all across the country but also across the world. Everyone is very smart and works hard during work hours. They are also very open to answering questions whenever and making sure they can help where they can. Because it’s a virtual environment, there aren’t many people in the main office in Burlingame. It helps keep people focused, but also can be a bit too quiet. (More on that in the cons.)

I interfaced directly with the CEO while I was there. I really liked how I could work hard on my tasks and my management trusted me to do good work. I felt comfortable asking questions when I had them, and would even sit down with whoever I needed when I wanted a more in depth discussion. There are many opportunities in Outsell to learn and grow your career. They’re also pivoting towards a more agile approach to their products. It’s great because they’re very open to feedback at this moment. You can really get your hands dirty in a project and make an impact on the final product.

Cons

The quiet working environment in the Burlingame office can be a con at times. It can be too quiet, and you’re never really sure if someone is on a call with another virtual employee. It makes random conversations in the office difficult because you never want to bother someone else.

My advice to the management would be to check in with everyone once in a while in an open way. I never experienced this, but some employees were being micromanaged and didn’t feel like they had the range of opportunities like I did. Other than that, just make sure that the company keeps moving towards an agile environment. I believe that’s the key to Outsell’s future and being able to respond quickly to change will keep Outsell a great place.

Great culture, opportunity and growth potential.

I have been working at Outsell (California) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A great place for self-motivated, entrepreneurial professionals who flourish in environments that provide a lot of rope for growth and to be creative – some thrive and some hang themselves. Flexible family-friendly culture with practices centered around getting it done but knowing that work doesn’t always happen in 9 to 5 boxes of time.

Cons

The workforce is dispersed-- full time team members predominantly work from home-based offices across the US and Europe which this presents a logistical challenge and sometimes cuts into productivity. While it's nice for those that work from home it doesn't provide the same flexibility for those that are based full-time in the HQ office.

Upper management provides a lot of room and opportunity but be clear that coming in there is no place to hide here and expectation is to deliver results at every level - it’s a great place for high achievers who want the challenge and responsibility that come with that but make sure new hires know they are joining a face-paced organization focused on growth.

Truth is stranger than fiction

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Outsell (California) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Virtual environment means you don't have to see executive team more than once a year

Cons

Everything else, including the ineptitude and cruelty if the executive team

Stop writing fake reviews to make Outsell look better and instead actually work on fixing it to its former glory. Some of you must remember what that was like.

A wolf in sheep's clothing! Skip this company!

Former Employee - Worker Bee in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Worker Bee in Remote, OR

I worked at Outsell (California) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Virtual office, intelligent people, good ideas. Woo'd me in and provided training. Somewhat good business model.

Cons

Husband and wife owner can quickly turn on you! Turnover is high and they tout a culture that is not. Be wary!

Practice what you preach...self
    Reflection and transparency.

Revolving door with fundamental problems

I worked at Outsell (California) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to work with some of the best analysts in the business. The coworkers and most clients are awesome. Virtual offices. Unlimited time off, if you can ever use it.

Cons

Management says great things during recruitment, about all the new directions the firm is taking. The reality is they will try to bolt big ideas onto something rotten. They overpromise clients and recruits, and then berate employees into doing the work, without ever investing in the tools to deliver.

They usually just fire good people when the disfunction becomes too obvious, and bring in someone new who will soon be fired in turn. Ideas are good, the people are very smart, but the leadership does not appreciate what it takes to execute. At this point the smartest analysts in the world can not save them from poor business practices.

Doesn't help that the senior leadership are also mean people. They frequently belittle and verbally abuse each other and their employees. Overall not the best place to advance a career.

Pretty hopeless as long as this management is still the management.

Like playing game where the rules change along with the goal without notice.

I worked at Outsell (California) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is 90% virtual with only the co-founders and back-office located at the HQ in CA. All of the analysts are very intelligent and at the top of their game as analysis goes. The company is also highly respected by the company's clients.

Cons

The CEO and her husband are the co-founders and are also micro-managers that will come up with a plan, start down a road, and then without notice, change direction. They then won't explain why they're going that way and it would be unwise to ask. Analysts are expected to be part of the sales process, though this is not clearly explained when you're interviewing or in the first few months so if you're looking for an analyst only position, this is definitely not the place for you. The bottom line is the bottom line here.

You may want to take a look at why there is such a high turnover rate. When a twenty year old company has only a handful of long term - more than two years - employees, you have to start to consider that the management is the problem.

Instable, unsustainable and incompatible to marketplace

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Outsell (California) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Virtual Office, talented co-workers, wonderful but fleeing client base

Cons

Terrible top down approach from management to the point of being aggressively abusive.
    Do not believe a thing they mention on their website about company values - rubbish - especially when they are recruiting for openings. It's a boat load of misguided information to the point of lying on the reality of how business is actually conducted internally.
    HR staff is literally a joke. Knowledge and skill set is next to none. Would have a very difficult time finding work elsewhere.

Time to drop the ball and learn how to respect, be honest and show some empathy toward your employees. Most of the real talent has already left. I do not believe there is much value left in business (market share/margins/revenue in decline mode). Burn some rubber and do not look back.

Good until it went bad...

I worked at Outsell (California) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Virtual environment
    Ownership of role/position
    Incredible co-workers that strive to be the best
    Strong work/life balance

Cons

Good until everything goes bad
    High turnover - all the "good" people leaving or being forced out
    Management quick to point fingers and lay blame
    High employee burnout

Stop taking your staff for granted - company is a shell of what it used to be.