Ovation Travel Group

Paul A. Metselaar

Best Niche Travel Management Company in the Business

Current Employee - International in New York, NY
    Current Employee - International in New York, NY

I have been working at Ovation Travel Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company works hard at improving itself with a commitment to best practices and ideas. I find that they strive to implement the latest advances in technology and use of social media to our advantage while maintaining a small agency feel. I've worked for both the mega agencies and mid size as well as a mom and pop. By far the Ovation Travel Group is the best organization I have worked for in the last 15 years

Cons

The company can appear to be a little scatter brained at times, where a little more communication from the top may be helpful to ensure that everyone is on the same page with knowledge of the bigger picture.

No real advice from here. I've been treated fairly and feel well appreciated by my superiors for the job I do.

Great Company

I have been working at Ovation Travel Group

Pros

Friendly environment, great employees, and consistent work

Cons

As far as career advancement, I am not sure - but they do reward their employees very nicely

corporate travel consultant

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in New York, NY

I worked at Ovation Travel Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits, great incentives, opportunity is there,if you go for it

Cons

Company is diverse in client base but clients are handled the same which makes it difficult for the 'niche' accounts where onsite agents are involved. The culture of the onsite agent is much different from inhouse working environment which creates frustration.
      Company implemented technology to compete with the larger agencies. So much new technology in such a short span of time, it has created havoc for clients (systems are not perfected) and for agents (so many new things to learn in short span of time, little support, from the 'go-to' people 'don't know' for sure.. Customer service affected, and much, agent disconnect
      Ovation is "sold" as "Not one of the Mega's, that we do things differently" - Well, they are now no different then the megas. Numbers have become more important then the employee, and some of their clients.
      No mentoring program, many job opportunities that are employees are never made aware of as the company has chosen to hire from outside rather than 'groom' potential, qualified employees who .have been loyal during their tenure.
      Vacation time is nice - if the management would approve it, or at least respond to the requests for time off.

Hold true to the original values and strengths of the early years. Bigger is not always better, and that is what WTSG has become.

Best Travel Management company I've found

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ovation Travel Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

provide great service internal and external.
    Nice PTO package walking in the door.

Cons

Company is segmented, different regions do the same processes differently which makes for confusion.
    Company implementiong tons of technology to compete with CWT, AMEX and, BCD, This is eroding the service with all the process that are for Ovation's bottom line not customer service.
    Ovation is "sold" as "Not one of the Mega's, that we do things differently" - Well, they are bringing in anaylist and Procedure improvement people from the Mega's and telling them to make us more streamlined and productive = more profitable.
    These people come in and sell the same products and procedures from the company's they came from turning us into the same thing when they say that's not the case... It is!

Stop with the enhancements and find NEW, creative ways to continue to give the service that you're famous for.

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I worked at Ovation Travel Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good environment, positive and friendly staff, growing environment, it is a good learning experience, family like environment

Cons

Office space is a bit old looking, kitchen could be bigger

N/a

International Travel Counselor

Former Employee - International Travel Counselor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - International Travel Counselor in New York, NY

I worked at Ovation Travel Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

competitive salary, mostly nice co-workers

Cons

Very nepotistic and click-y from junior to top level management. Account managers were the worst, very belittling and threatening.

Value the front line employee dealing with "your" clients, support them and provide opportunities for them to shine to your clients and you - don't box them in. The company hires agents for their skills and then doesn't utilize them, very close to being a scripted call center like American Express BTCs

You won't "Get There", until you "Get It."

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Travel Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ovation Travel Group

Pros

The majority of travel agent jobs are on-site, which offers quite a bit of autonomy. At least to my knowledge, not much micro-managing taking place at on-sites. Can't say the same for headquarters or regional.

Cons

The technology employed is not cutting edge, in fact it's not even contemporary in most cases. Using older equipment and technology impedes efficient, optimal, and cost effective customer service to the client. Company doesn't believe in spending money in-house to make money. Travel agent benefits (travel perks) are almost non-existent. My Sabre!!!!

Implement better technology. Further reduce unnecessary middle management. Improve "Get There". Make the intellicenter; intelligent.

Best place I've worked in 22+ years

Current Employee - Manager Central Operations
    Current Employee - Manager Central Operations

I have been working at Ovation Travel Group

Pros

You are treated like a human being not a number

Cons

a little chiaotic at times

Keep up the good work!