OverDrive

OverDrive Reviews

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014

Steve Potash

Gained 'real' on-line marketing experience quickly.

I worked at OverDrive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot very quickly and was given a lot of opportunity to enhance my skills. For me, the experience from overdrive moved my professional career fast forward. The responsibility I was given really educated me on all the best practices of Social, SEO and Paid Search.The pay and benefits were pretty good compared to starting salaries and other agencies.

Cons

It could get very tense when deadlines are looming. You really need to get your work done on time or I can pileup very quickly. They have a lot of tech company clients I have never heard of before working there.

More formal training would make for easier transition into the position. Some things that are best learned on-the-job but some additional classes would expedite the overall process.

Talented people, slowly bleeding out

I worked at OverDrive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of talented people there, and I made a lot of great friends working at OverDrive. It was great learning from some of the senior staff there. It was also interesting to see the eBook industry from their shoes, as opposed to just as a consumer.

The benefits - the insurances and 401k - were okay, nothing special.

Cons

* Growing too quickly and not being able to maintain top talent
    * Underpaid significantly compared to industry standards
    * Conflicts and communication issues between departments caused unnecessary fire drills
    * Lack of knowledge for some managers
    * Lack of training opportunities

* Make sure that managers know something about the team they are managing so that they can properly delegate work as needed.
    * Have more management training courses that bring the managers together more. There were a lot of communication issues between departments that caused unnecessary "emergencies" and slow downs, and proper communication is key.
    * Reinforce the message to all teams that egos and personal problems need to be checked at the door and that everyone is working for a common goal. It isn't personal; it's business.
    * Invest in your employees' training, and you'll reap rewards for updated skills.

Clique, inc

Former Employee - Software Developer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Watching the CEO drunkenly wave a golf hole flag around at the Christmas party was hilariously cringe-worthy.

Cons

If you aren't part of the club (those with 10+ years in the company), don't expect to be considered anything other than replaceable. They'd sooner higher outside than promote.

Discriminatory business deals with content providers will only protect your company for so long.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garfield Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garfield Heights, OH

I have been working at OverDrive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros of working here are: Friendly staff, great culture, good benefits. Fast-paced business with lots of learning and growth potential.

Cons

The cons of working here are: Lack of consistency and cohesion between departments, lower pay scale.

Good benefits but under payed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at OverDrive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The perks are great. They like to do little things for their employees, such as bringing in some food or dessert, giving little gift cards for a job well done and the holiday party is by far my favorite part of the year. They have good health insurance and their matching of 401Ks is also very good. They also offer free workout classes on lunch every day.

Cons

A great deal of the employees are way under payed. When you have big plans for your life, especially once you've been there for a few years, and you are being payed way under the industry standard, sometimes it gets tough to be excited about work.

Pay employees closer to industry standards.

I must be working in the right department...

I have been working at OverDrive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love what I do at OverDrive. The day to day is the best working environment I've ever had. I work on a great team with a fantastic manager. I have moved up and been given raises regularly and have been recognized for my contributions. I'm very happy with my pay and the 401K matching. We're in an exciting and growing industry. The office is young, fun and overall friendly. I love taking walks on the walking path on my lunch break and grabbing a snack from our new market pantry. If you talk to the right people, your voice can really be heard. I've been given a lot of responsibility in my role and feel like I've built a large skill set for the future. I've gotten a chance to travel across the country and met some wonderful people. We throw great parties at conferences, which is a fun bonus. I'm also an avid reader so having access to basically any eBook I want to read at any time for free is an awesome perk of the job.

Cons

I agree with some of the negative reviews about rapidly shifting priorities and not having a seeming focus from the leadership about what is most important. There are some teams that seem to be made up of one or two people who are the only ones who know how to do some key things in certain processes. Other teams are stocked with people and I have no clue what any of them do. Communication isn't as organized as I would like. There's a divide between teams where one hand doesn't always know what the other is doing. While benefits are good, I wish that we were offered more sick/vacation time and that I didn't have to use personal time for Christmas Eve. I also am disappointed in the amount of turnover companywide and how we have lost some quality people.

Thank you for rewarding me for the hard work I have done. I plan on staying on board for awhile but there are things to consider before committing to a long term career. I will leave IMMEDIATELY if my manager ever leaves or gets moved to another team that I can't join. She is the only person I would work for in the entire company. You need to work on building up the managers and not focusing just on profits or trying to 'one up' competitors. Also, we are a large company with 200+ employees. You can't keep trying to run things like there are only 20 people in a tiny office. (Although, I do miss the perk of when we were smaller and had those nice quarterly employee breakfasts and would regularly get gift cards during meetings and could hear from different team leaders instead of a monthly cheerleading session/"monthly meeting" from Steve.)

Finally, take a look at my list of cons and all of the other feedback on this site and really reflect on what we can do better as a company. Yes, some of these reviews come from disgruntled fired employees or people expecting the moon on day one without putting in the work... but some come from current loyal employees or people who loved OverDrive once and left to pursue something higher-paid or with more room for growth. Think about it.

Think about it - why would a current employee(s) from the company leave a reviews on a recruiting site?

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When the company was smaller - less politics! The atmosphere was fun in 2007!

Cons

You cannot trust anyone in Library Partner Services department. There are over 10 plus people doing the same job. New building in the ghetto!

My last manager new the processes but lacked the knowledge on how to do them. Several times she requested I speak to my circle leader to help with the task since she could not help me with....and you are a Director? Worst manager I ever had in my 10 plus years as a profession.

If you choose to work in Library Partner Services, get to used to saying 'I apologize' in your emails along with the worst sugar coated/canned responses due to OverDrive not SHARING the entire truth to their PAID customers.

Train your managers better! Make them learn their team and the strengths and weaknesses they all bring to as a team. Too MUCH politics!

I am happy to see the high turnover rate happening. I think the structure of this company is horrific!

Going nowhere fast

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at OverDrive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back environment, basically no dress code (can't wear sweats or pajamas but come on...), flexible work schedule, so easy a monkey could do your work

Cons

Where to begin? First off, don't be mislead by the positive reviews. It's common knowledge that they were written under the direction of the COO in order to paint OD as a good place to work. Lies, all lies.

Grossly underpaid. The salaries here are a joke. They start you off so low that even when raises are at the high end of the scale (3-6% on average), you'll be making peanuts for a long time. They claim is because the benefits are so great. Health benefits are good and 401(k) match as well. But that's about it. There are no other benefits.

Dead end career development. They suck you in claiming that you can build a career here. BS. You end up doing the same crap for years, your only "reward" is you get higher volume of work and a lame promotion (in title only - levels I, II, III - because you still do the same work). They don't promote from within our train you for the real opportunities that do open up. Unless you're related to the CEO or do some major butt kissing, forget about a meaningful career path here. Training is nonexistent. Once you're in a box, you stay in that box.

Management is useless. Half of them don't know what the heck their subordinates do. They bring on new hires as managers/ directors/executives that don't know how the company runs and are learning as they go.

No organization or professionalism. This company is stuck in a small company mentality. Workflows are so jumbled - no one knows who does what and the buck gets passed around so many times. Tasks get passed off until someone feels bad for the customer and does something about it. Some departments are understaffed so good luck with them getting stuff done on time. Other departments are a bunch of slacks that you can always find at the ping pong or foosball table at any given time of the day. So much crap falls through the cracks. It seems like they just sign as many new contracts add they can and hopefully everyone else can keep up. Oh and people are always willing to throw you under the bus at any given time so watch out for that too.

High turnover rate. Pathetic. Around 15 people have left the company since the beginning of the year - from management and HR to new hires. Huge red flag.

On top of everything, OD customers have got to be some of the dumbest people you will ever deal with. Every conversation with a customer will leave your head throbbing.

You get a $200 gift card at every holiday party. You also get to pay taxes on it and still have to work 12/24 and 12/31. Joy.

How about paying people what they're worth!? How about rewarding people with meaningful career paths other than the lame busy work we are all relegated to? Sorry but your stupid company lunches aren't going to cut it. As much as you claim to be tech savvy, you sure are behind the times. Google you are not.

You can write your own success story at OverDrive

I have been working at OverDrive full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People. The people are wonderful. We are working in an exciting and technologically unique space, which provides a vibrant and fun place to be with a bunch of nerds for 8+ hours. There are a lot of reviews that paint the company in a poor light. I have worked at OverDrive for five years, and I can tell you that I wrote my own story here. You can find success if you are good at what you do. Just like any other company, if you cannot perform then it's time to find someone else. I feel many of these poor reviews are from people that just couldn't cut it. Perhaps it's the generation's instant-gratification mentality. If you want to succeed at any company you have to find the places where holes need to be fixed, and this sometimes means that you have to work longer days; maybe a couple hours on the weekend if necessary to nail a big project. Big deal. Work hard, and you can succeed. I am very fortunate to have found an employer who values my work and recognizes my talents. They have taken great care of me, and I am excited every day to be a part of our ever-growing family.

Cons

Every company has flaws and things it can improve. I think there is truth to the reviews about constantly-changing priorities. This can be a bit frustrating at times, but I think in this changing market there are opportunities that come up that need to be capitalized on.

This company is every bit as bad as its reputation

Former Employee - Product Owner in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Product Owner in Cleveland, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is in a niche industry without a lot of competition. This is the only reason that this company is successful. Some of the tech folks are nice people but I did not have very positive interactions with anyone outside of software development.

Cons

I was encouraged repeatedly told tell our customers things that simply weren't true. This included promising dates and functionality that I knew we would never hit. Just about every other week our focus on what was highest priority shifted at the whims of upper management and what was promised to a customer that week. Meanwhile, all of the prior promises made, we were falling far, far behind on. I was very confused over the company's strategy as it seemed to change frequently (and I wasn't at the company very long). There was clearly no prioritization going on and if there was it was poorly executed and not communicated to those performing on projects. Management expected every to work overtime on a regular basis to try to meet these unrealistic promises.

I think the worst part of working here was the "yes man" attitude that management encouraged. The executives wanted all decisions going through them. There was no training or mentoring for junior people and no slack given at all. If you made a mistake you got severely reprimanded almost like a child. I can recall several instances where I could hear executives yelling at a person and even witnessed this occur in front of me at one point - with no warning of it coming and I felt it was unjustified. It really affected the culture of this company and made it a very unpleasant place to work. My time at this company was short and I definitely would not recommend it to others.

How has the Board of Directors not replaced the execs at this company yet? I really feel like they have the wool pulled over their eyes by the executives about how this company really operates.