Overhead Door

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dennis Stone

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Get your work experience, then move on.

Middle Manager (Former Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsEstablished company. Excellent brand recognition. Good place to work for a few years to build a skill set and establish work experience.

ConsPoor work/life balance. Performance review process is still broken. Training opportunities are few and far between. Corporate office dress code is archaic. Unrealistic performance expectations/not enough people to execute the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople need work/life balance to be successful long term. Establish reasonable productivity expectations. Dispel the Good Ol' Boy network at the corporate office...no one but the boys in the club see its merit.

Company Culture Is Old School

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsEmployees overall are wonderful. Benefits and pay are pretty good.

Cons"Powerful People" mantra is nothing but talk. It's the most micro-managed company I have ever encountered. It's a very WASP environment. Culture is stuck in the 80's.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk your talk. YOU selected and hired the employees of Overhead Door. Have enough faith in your hiring decisions to give your people the power to make their own decisions and do their jobs.

Factory

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsThey give you hour lunches if your full time.

ConsEverything else. Micromanaged. Aggressive and rude supervisors.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that this is a dead end job and stop trying to sell it for more than it is.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of Promises and Poor Delivery

Division Management (Former Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsBelow the executive level, it's a great group of people. Nice, friendly and absolutely want to do the right thing for customers and each other.

ConsThey tout nice bonuses, but you don't find out until you're in that their bonus has only paid once in 10 years!!!!!

The senior leadership is disconnected and apathetic toward the workforce. They sit in meetings week in and week out counting their money, but none of them have a clue how the business runs or how to improve it. As an example, they wouldn't agree to a 25 cent per hour increase for factory workers, but at that same factory they spent over 1.5M in expedited shipping because they can't forcast and don't want to carry any inventory of parts. Stupid.

They espouse values, and print them and put them all over the walls, but do not abide by them or believe in them....especially when it comes to respecting their employees and treating people with dignity.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're too old and stodgy....time to retire and get out of the way.

Over worked

Customer Service Tech (Current Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsIf you are a college student with no kids you would like it!

ConsTreat workers like a number an will over work you for less pay!

Advice to Senior Managementwhen it comes to the customer service department treat workers like they are more than a number.Because customer service workers do a lot of different jobs at the same time.the starting pay should be more than 12-13 dollars hour.

Sorry company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsBenefits are okay at the company
    Budget friendly
    Paying out employees every other week is great
    Networking with service providers in other states

ConsManagement is sorry and are bullies
    HR is weak and they are pro management instead of pro employee
    The pay is horrible way below industries standards
    They do not understand work/life balance
    Be prepared to be treated like a number instead of a person
    Be prepared for crappy raises i.e. $.10

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more
    Just because an employee speaks up for themselves or defend themseleves that does not mean we are being rude and disrespectful to management.
    EMPLOYEES DO HAVE A VOICE YOU GUYS NEED TO LISTEN.....WHY DO YOU THINK SO MANY PEOPLE ARE LEAVING!!!!!

Overhead Door is Challenging but Interesting

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsI heard about the Glass Door from a coworker who was laughing about trashing the company in a posting. I know this kind of forum is usually one for disgruntled former employees to blame the Company for their own failures, but I have been with the Company for over 10 years and I think the company has never been in better leadership hands. Overhead Door's senior management team cares about their people; they do a good job of communicating with our CACs and Town Halls where our CEO sits in front of us and answers any questions we throw at him; honestly and candidly. As manufacturers of lower margin products, I don't expect us to have the benefit plans and perks enjoyed by higher margin service industry businesses, but I am satisfied overall. My coworkers and I have LOTS to do but it is interesting work that keeps me involved. Good teamwork from my peers and support from my boss when I need it. I am making a contribution to the success of this business and I believe that my boss and my VP know it and appreciate it.

ConsThere is a LOT of work to do and not many of us to do it - good news for those of us who like to stay busy - I mean REALLY busy - but bad news for those who are lazy and just like to complain. I'd like more money, better benefits and a lesser workload, but I do feel that I am being paid competitively and a really LOVE the work I do. I suggest that if you don't like the Company or the workload go somewhere else!

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate even more. Examine the workload and make sure we are staffed adequately to handle it.

Mired in mediocrity and scare tactics

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lewisville, TX

Pros* Employees, as a whole, are pleasant to work with and be around.
    * In some departments, there is an opportunity to work and become exposed to many areas of the industry.

Cons* Bad leadership at Middle Managment level.
    * Management, propogates, the "just be lucky you have a job" mantra
    * Below industry standard salary
    * The bad apples seem to be the long timers with 15 years exp who want to protect their interests and not the business.
    *Oh, did I mention:* Bad leadership at Mid Managment level.
    * Joke of a Goals program, you don't even get your current year goals until mid year!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers with leadership capabilities, even project managers to keep projects on-time!! NGX?? Ring a bell?
    Bring back CAC meetings
    Identify and reward your top employees, it's really not that difficult, you will not retain any talent until you do so.

So you want to work for OHD?

Management (Current Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsChallenging assignments though at times you end up covering too much over time. Very good with flexibility when you need it. There are also a lot of very bright people who work for the company so having to work with incompetent people is not an issue.

ConsThey low-ball you on salary and will tell you that "you'll catch up after proving your worthiness" (forget about making it up after getting on board). Their compensation sucks to say it bluntly unless you're in a top management role (Japanese mentality) and a lot has to do with HR who moves at a snails pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementChanging the culture to take care of its employees I don't see occuring anytime soon (so change it). Many of us will just use the company as a stepping stone until a better opportunity arises.

Stuck in a 10 Year Merger They Still Haven't figured out Yet

Engineering (Former Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsGreat IT environment, time off, nice co-workers. They invest in testing and try to make the employees feel good with employee parties and monthly info sessions.

ConsAdvancement sucks, poor management, slow bonuses and raises. Management is reactionary and uses flavor of the day management initiatives with no one on the senior staff with any real talent or knowledge of the programs they try to implement.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat's the use in offering any advice? They won't listen and they already know everything.

Worked for Overhead Door? Contribute to the Community!