Overlake Medical Center and Clinics

Overlake Medical Center and Clinics Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
46 reviews filtered by

1. Great place to work

I have been working at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and all hospital departments work together to provide awesome patient care. A lot of employees have worked here for 10+ years.

Cons

When someone leaves others are given those responsibilities instead of hiring another person. It can take a long time to hire a replacement. With the location being in bellevue, wa. It is hard to be able to actually afford live in Bellevue, it is less expensive to live in outer cities with long commutes

2. The staff and managers at Overlake are wonderful!

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The culture at Overlake is caring, compassionate, welcoming and warm. Overlake is very community focused and supported. Overklake is always striving for new ways to improve upon what is already the most EXCELLENT of patient care! Overlake has great benefits and is very fair with compensation policies. Overlake is very stable and finacially sound which has been very comforting in these tough econmical times.

Cons

As a not for profit, non taxed supported hospital, Overlake has to work very lean.

Overlake is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Overlake has an exceptional executive leadership and management team and with the addition of the new CEO, is sure to make great advancements in healthcare. The shared values of ICARE are fully supported and encouraged among all staff. Our patients receive precise, compassionate and individualized care. Employee benefits (including tuition reimbursement) and pay are comparable to the larger organizations in the area.

Cons

Unfortunately, like many healthcare positions, there are limited opportunities for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the concerns of the workers and keep the lines of communication open.

5. Worked for many organizations; Overlake is by far the best!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The organization takes care of their employees Benifits are above average. Paid time off is excellent. Very good onboarding.
    Very good leadership at the executive level; have the organization heading in the right direction to continue growth.
    Financially doing well and have remained so during challanging times.
    And should probably mention the excellent location.

Cons

Not a lot that Overlake is not doing right. Maybe more attention to support functions. But that is part of working at a hospital; focus is on patient care (which they do very well).

6. Great experience!

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to affect change at all levels makes for a good environment. Ovelake has a new CEO that brings new vision and energy which was needed.
    Very financial strong.
    Overlake is one of last independent hospitals in the area.

Cons

Changing healthcare environment makes is difficult to keep up at times but Overlake is doing everything it can to position itself well in the market.

7. Great facilities, but hostile, unsupportive environment for new hires

Former Employee - Emergency Department Social Worker in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Emergency Department Social Worker in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was hired to work in the emergency department. It is a clean, spacious, organized department with state of the art treatment rooms.

Cons

Horrific working environment for new hires. I was expected to start work 2 days after receiving job offer. My entire orientation period ( to the EPIC medical charting software, to policies, workflow, facilities, everything) was one and one half days. My particular supervisor was vindictive and unsupportive, and refused to answer questions after my "training period" was "over". Other staff told me that it was "a harsh way to learn, but that's just how it is here. We're a tough bunch" (direct quote from nursing supervisor). I was hired to relieve someone who had been in the position for 13 years, and this person had no idea how to get a new employee up to speed beyond threatening or criticizing the newbie. After 5 days I was scheduled for a performance review--usually happens after six months. I worked 12 hour days for 2 more weeks. Constant criticism, with no helpful support or meaningful guidance. When the hostile environment became untenable, I finally resigned. No amount of compensation could have made me extend for even one more day.

Advice to Management

Hospital organizations have a lot of turnover. They are always in the process of hiring and training new staff. It would benefit both the hospital and the employee, if the orientation was comprehensive and ( at least somewhat) welcoming. Had that been the case, the position would probably have worked for me.

AWFUL!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can pretty much do whatever you want and not get fired! Work, don't work, NOBODY CARES! HR are all in bed together, people walk-out daily, poor pay, abusive supervisors!

Cons

HR are all in bed together, people walk-out daily, poor pay, abusive supervisors! They Have HR and other favorites write reviews on here to convince folks otherwise.

Advice to Management

MIKE MARSH! CLEAN HOUSE BEFORE ITS TO LATE!!!!

Dysfunctional and reactionary organization

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time

Pros

The people that are good are really good, but they are few and far between.

Cons

Toxic environment. Executives pay lip service to organizational beliefs.
    Multiple layoffs have killed morale and most individuals remaining are doing the work of 2+ people.
    Few good people remaining and all of them are looking to leave.
    Comparably low compensation and benefits.
    Many positions are dead end jobs with no ability for advancement.

Advice to Management

Many of the executives create a negative work environment, micromanage and instill fear in employees rather than lead and those individuals need to be let go.

10. Nothing beats Overlake

Former Employee - Super Sitter Instructor in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Super Sitter Instructor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced, friendly atmosphere, co-workers worked as a team! It was a great job and privilege to have been a part of such a fantastic team.

Cons

They aren't in Texas - which is where I moved. I would like to have seen some health benefits for part time employees, but it is not uncommon in the market place for there to be no health insurance for part timers.

IT management is weak and Epic build was done poorly

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Semi-modern workspace with some window view seating, because of many open positions there is a high chance you can be sent for Epic certification. Only outsources helpdesk to India, as opposed to Franciscan/Catholic Health Systems who outsources most of IT to India.

Cons

Poor IT management on many levels, poor initial Epic EMR build makes support and maintenance frustrating, management has limited technical knowledge therefore doesn't understand root cause of issues, pay is on low end - be sure to add 10 to 15% of any offers you receive from HR. No ability to work from home or travel.

Advice to Management

Should have learned more from the expensive "two in a box" manager style during implementation. Need overhaul by injecting experienced managers with drive and logical goals.

Overlake Medical Center and Clinics Photos