Overlake Medical Center and Clinics

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014
4.0

J. Michael Marsh

Overlake is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overlake has an exceptional executive leadership and management team and with the addition of the new CEO, is sure to make great advancements in healthcare. The shared values of ICARE are fully supported and encouraged among all staff. Our patients receive precise, compassionate and individualized care. Employee benefits (including tuition reimbursement) and pay are comparable to the larger organizations in the area.

Cons

Unfortunately, like many healthcare positions, there are limited opportunities for career advancement.

Continue to listen to the concerns of the workers and keep the lines of communication open.

Great facilities, but hostile, unsupportive environment for new hires

Former Employee - Emergency Department Social Worker in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Emergency Department Social Worker in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was hired to work in the emergency department. It is a clean, spacious, organized department with state of the art treatment rooms.

Cons

Horrific working environment for new hires. I was expected to start work 2 days after receiving job offer. My entire orientation period ( to the EPIC medical charting software, to policies, workflow, facilities, everything) was one and one half days. My particular supervisor was vindictive and unsupportive, and refused to answer questions after my "training period" was "over". Other staff told me that it was "a harsh way to learn, but that's just how it is here. We're a tough bunch" (direct quote from nursing supervisor). I was hired to relieve someone who had been in the position for 13 years, and this person had no idea how to get a new employee up to speed beyond threatening or criticizing the newbie. After 5 days I was scheduled for a performance review--usually happens after six months. I worked 12 hour days for 2 more weeks. Constant criticism, with no helpful support or meaningful guidance. When the hostile environment became untenable, I finally resigned. No amount of compensation could have made me extend for even one more day.

Hospital organizations have a lot of turnover. They are always in the process of hiring and training new staff. It would benefit both the hospital and the employee, if the orientation was comprehensive and ( at least somewhat) welcoming. Had that been the case, the position would probably have worked for me.

AWFUL!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can pretty much do whatever you want and not get fired! Work, don't work, NOBODY CARES! HR are all in bed together, people walk-out daily, poor pay, abusive supervisors!

Cons

HR are all in bed together, people walk-out daily, poor pay, abusive supervisors! They Have HR and other favorites write reviews on here to convince folks otherwise.

MIKE MARSH! CLEAN HOUSE BEFORE ITS TO LATE!!!!

Dysfunctional and reactionary organization

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time

Pros

The people that are good are really good, but they are few and far between.

Cons

Toxic environment. Executives pay lip service to organizational beliefs.
    Multiple layoffs have killed morale and most individuals remaining are doing the work of 2+ people.
    Few good people remaining and all of them are looking to leave.
    Comparably low compensation and benefits.
    Many positions are dead end jobs with no ability for advancement.

Many of the executives create a negative work environment, micromanage and instill fear in employees rather than lead and those individuals need to be let go.

Nothing beats Overlake

Former Employee - Super Sitter Instructor in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Super Sitter Instructor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced, friendly atmosphere, co-workers worked as a team! It was a great job and privilege to have been a part of such a fantastic team.

Cons

They aren't in Texas - which is where I moved. I would like to have seen some health benefits for part time employees, but it is not uncommon in the market place for there to be no health insurance for part timers.

Going downhill

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cultural values are top notch. Pay is good

Cons

All areas are understaffed and overworked. That's from Housekeeping to nurseing staff and all support departments

Listen to the rank and file

IT management is weak and Epic build was done poorly

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Semi-modern workspace with some window view seating, because of many open positions there is a high chance you can be sent for Epic certification. Only outsources helpdesk to India, as opposed to Franciscan/Catholic Health Systems who outsources most of IT to India.

Cons

Poor IT management on many levels, poor initial Epic EMR build makes support and maintenance frustrating, management has limited technical knowledge therefore doesn't understand root cause of issues, pay is on low end - be sure to add 10 to 15% of any offers you receive from HR. No ability to work from home or travel.

Should have learned more from the expensive "two in a box" manager style during implementation. Need overhaul by injecting experienced managers with drive and logical goals.

Think twice before leaving your Medical Technologist Job elsewhere

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Good commute, small hospital, pleasant upper management, aimed to serve a target population, apparent empathy and compassion for patients suffering.

Cons

Very deceptive in regards to the nature of the jobs they post. The supervisors are micromanagers that believe that procedures have to be done in one way only and that is theirs which they learned decades and decades ago. When it comes to empowering and embracing new ideas and focusing on the employees strengths to gain cooperation they are completely clueless and fearful. The old school belt and punishment to gain control type management reigns in the lab. This is a reflection of their lack of experience and insecurity as they have been doing the same job forever without exposure to modern management.

Train the laboratory managers and supervisors so that they embrace the policies that upper management preaches. Verify that managers and supervisors follow the guidelines set up by human resources and not their own personal agendas.

I am extremely grateful and proud to have gained valuable technical skills and lasting friendships from OHMC Laboratory

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great location, beautiful facility, quality driven laboratory, hopsital culture of integrity, respect and accountability, free employee parking, hard working managers and supervisors who lobby tirelessly for their employees and for patient safety

Cons

Not for profit hospital that is challenged with budget constraints that affect resources and staff morale annually. Toxic employees are difficult to get rid of due to the HR policies that require extensive documentation of such behavior.

Recoginize that the Laboratory is the corner stone to providing excellent patient care. Consider their need to have access to the best instrumentation to continuously improve their workflow and efficiencies. Offer Lab Leadership support when employees demonstrate unacceptable behavior by sabatoging them or their coworkers through vindictive immature tactics. Recognize that I.T. solutions are in constant demand for Laboratory improvements.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Both management and peer coworkers were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Traffic to get there was pretty bad, but typical of Seattle.

Overlake Medical Center and Clinics Photos