Overstock.com

www.overstock.com

Overstock.com Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here(in 28 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management(in 29 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business(in 16 reviews)

I am proud to work at Overstock.com.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat and fun environment. Good benefits. Great people. Exciting opportunities. Company pride.

ConsToo stressful at times. Low pay for some positions. Politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

I've always loved working here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

Pros-Having a CEO that walks around and asks what you're up to so he knows his business from the ground up.
    -Having a CEO with a social conscience
    -Upper management that have senses of humor
    -Good health benefits- in over 4 years there's only been one time our insurance has said "no" (and I'm still working on getting that yes)
    -Move up from within! You can start out on the phones but if you learn everything you can, you can end up being a decision maker one day.

Cons-Sometimes if you're the person doing your job well and not causing problems, you're the one that's overlooked. (Squeaky wheel gets the grease you know)
    -Pay rarely matches what most others make at other places. I've always said "you have to really want to work here"....cause it won't be for the pay, but there's so many other trade offs that make it worthwhile. Still, it would be nice to make industry standard

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a general feeling sometimes that only "the beautiful people" get plucked from a crowd and taught how to be "the next big thing" while others fight their way up the ladder. Although many of us know there's a lot of determination and drive that's looked at it does seem (quite often actually) that positions are created for the beautiful people while everyone else waits for a job to post so they can have the opportunity for the spotlight, to toot their own horn and a have chance for advancement.

This may not be the case- but it's the perception, and that's what needs to be managed.

Opportunities for Career Growth and Gaining Industry Knowledge Quickly

Manager (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

Proschallenging, rewarding, difference making, laid back, fun, attitude from senior management down shapes the entire company. A great challenge while also a great culture.

ConsMuch work to do in each position. You may be expected to work long hours. Career paths not well defined although getting better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job from senior management. Most have been in lower positions within the company and it helps them relate. Make sure to keep your eye on the prize and make decisions accordingly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overstock ROCKS!!!

LTL Department Agent (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsPatrick Byrne is one of the most caring, Knowledgeable people I have ever worked for. I feel that this company actually cares and acknowledges the fact that I have a family, and Family comes first.

ConsMORE LOCATIONS! Other than that, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no advice I feel I can give at this time. The company I work for is the BEST and I never want to work anywhere else. I hope to move up in the company when I graduate with a business degree. WOOT WOOT!

Overstock.com- 5 star review

Partner Account Manager (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOverstock.com is an fast-growing, exciting place to work. I love learning something new every day and seeing the results of my actions via reporting. Overstock.com management and co-workers are fantastic to work with.

ConsLarge work load. Could be better staffed

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease staff levels to accomodate work load. Some departments are overwhelmed while others are not.

A great place to work, with only a few dodgy management decisions.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsSalary, benefits, promotion opportunities and the general population are all above average. Your workload is quite reasonable and it's a fine place to make a living.

ConsThere's a lot of seasonal hiring and when the layoffs come around, some of the decisions seem arbitrary. Many good employees are at a risk for loosing their jobs and a lot of sub par employees seem to stick around much longer than you'd expect. There's also an odd emphasis on irrelevant issues like adherence to the schedule, even though calls and special projects make it difficult or inconvenient to take breaks at the exact time they are scheduled.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the emphasis on adherence and "Hot Topics" because they are irrelevant to the job. Figure out a way to calculate "Actual Work Done" because there are many employees who get good stats but are doing only the easiest possible tasks.

Overstock.com - A great place to work!

Accountant (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat opportunities to cross train in different areas of the business. Progressive environment that encourages innovation.

ConsCommunication between departments can be poor. The result is many reports, and processes are duplicated. Projects are occasionally developed without the input of all the stakeholders.

Advice to Senior Management1. The department of excellence needs to work more with the management of the department they are directed to evaluate.
    2. Some of the process engineers are duplicating work done by the departments they are analyzing.
    3. Take any business areas that are not performing off life support.
    4. Focus on core competencies: Internet retailing. Taking on the role of a travel agent, realtor and car sales person might not be in line with these competencies. If these are good business ideas maybe they should be developed as standalone businesses. If they prove to be successful business models consider bringing them into the fold.

Great people to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe company is not afraid to try new things. Ideas on their merits, not their presenter. Almost everyone here is a good person to work with - i.e. we don't hire jerks.

ConsSometimes the company is too slow to recognize that a person is a poor performer. We usually deal well with this, but if an employee becomes a "favorite child" of someone in senior management, it can take several notable failures before they are recognized as incompetent.

Office space is getting tight, and is leading to compromises which impact productivity and satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is sometimes too quick to change direction on a whim. We sometimes loose sight of strategic goals to pursue the latest "shiny new thing". Being willing to take a slightly longer term view would, I believe, not only make the company more successful, but also more satisfying to work for.

Love my job

Pam (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat atmosphere to work in. Love the way Patrick is very personable and easy to approach. Most CEO are not like him.

ConsI dont think that the pay is equal for the job descriptions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the way the pay is done. It would be nice to have everyone on an equal pay scale for the job they are doing.

I love working at Overstock.com!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsI think overstock.com has a great working environment. The culture allows us to be comfortable, but productive and I think that is incredibly important.

ConsI think Utah in general is low paying, and Overstock.com definitely fits that description.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my last position (within Overstock) I had a lot of interaction with upper management and I was very impressed with how approachable everyone was. I have now moved to a different department and I hardly ever have words with any of them. I wish that more people knew what a great executive team we have, and I wish they were more available for people who do not interact with them on a daily basis.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!