Overstock.com

Overstock.com Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne

Patrick M. Byrne

Pros:
  • "The work life balance is great and the pay is decent"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Work environment is clean and very serious with maintaining employee safety"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Management team is fairly incompetent, Although recent senior management hires have been impressive"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Must be part of the SLC Clan

IT Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

ProsInteresting work
Very Agile shop
Great interaction with business

ConsYour not Mormon then your on the outside in SLC.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell you sort of did it...flushed out the old CTO who did not have a clue

Don't Believe The Internal Surveys

Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe offices are at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon which means you're about 30 minutes from slapping your skis on when you get off work.

Your performance doesn't seem to matter as long as you understand the politics of the company.

ConsI felt like when taking a survey I was one of the few people answering honestly. This company is staffed by passive aggressive types that are worried their criticism of the company in surveys could be tracked back to them.

Upper Management is extremely reactive to market trends. There's a whole division of the company dedicated to trend analysis and forecasting... Of course these people are ignored and/or fired because their advice, based on facts, counters the hunches and gut feelings of upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a longterm strategy and follow it. I understand the benefits of being nimble but attempting to correct course week by week is not a good strategy. Identify your core business and grow it. Work in your strengths rather than trying to pursue new businesses that someone else is already doing better. Once you have a solid profit generating machine from your core that you can no longer improve then start looking at how to expand.

Also, surround yourself with people that are smart and willing to present counter arguments to your ideas... Then, and this is the hard part, actually listen to them.

Buyer

Merchandise Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFantastic ability to lead your own team and develop and create your own assortments. Fun to drive new business and see the results of your hard work

Conscompletely unappreciated for double digit growth. They would rather have computers to all the work than any talented people with the ability to think for themselvs.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to listen

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great then really bad

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

ProsHad some world class managers and great opportunities for growth

ConsHad some world class bozos as managers who were totally offensive

Not perfect (no company is) but works hard to improve

Mid-level Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome of the executives understand the company's cultural shortcomings and are working hard to improve it. There is lots of opportunity for promotion for those who understand how to maneuver through the system and are willing to deliver high performance consistently. There has been a consistent process in place for quite some time for delivering competitive pay and benefits and it is starting to pay off. Employees who are patient and willing to personally contribute to improve the culture are much happier and productive than those who only focus on the growing pains. Overstock has a bright future because the people who work here (including senior management) really care about making Overstock #1 in the industry. By many measures it already is. The tools and technology developed here are first rate.

ConsThe purpose of a company is to deliver superior value to the customer and other stakeholders. Some executives seem to forget that employees are also stakeholders. Conversely, some employees think a company exists only to make their lives better. The two competing views have caused friction in the past, and like any company, will cause friction in the future. My view is that the problems are simply a matter of growing pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to employees their role in delivering superior value to the customer comes first, and recognize that it takes a satisfied workforce to make that happen. Be honest with employees about the primary mission but that you are also working hard to improve the culture over time. Where things break down is when the words communicated don't match the actions taken. Focus on communicating what makes Overstock a great company but be honest and acknowledge the internal flaws while taking positive steps to fix them. SVPs should be conducting frequent and consistent stand ups to foster better two-way communication. This is going to take some hard work but over time you will start to get more honest and open feedback rather than just hearing what you want to hear. Perception is everything.

Thoughtless, careless leaders. The worst I've seen.

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

ProsThere's a lot of opportunity for learning and advancing yourself at this company; however, there is little "mentorship" or help. In order to succeed, you must be able to learn complex systems on your own.

ConsTo the review who stated, "some employees think a company exists only to make their lives better," shame on you. Every employee I worked with at this company WANTED Overstock.com to succeed, put in hours of effort and sweat, and have gone through the grinder to make Overstock.com what it is today. Your comment shows exactly what is wrong with this company.

Here are some of the "cons" I witnessed throughout the years I worked for this company:
- Random firing sprees. I witnessed one of 20+ people or more, none of whom were on a performance plan and had any reason to believe they would be fired.
- Random firings. If you have a laptop in a meeting, or look at your cell phone (even if it's work-related) and an executive doesn't like it, you could be asked to leave the company at that moment.
- "Trial and Error Promotions." When someone leaves the company, instead of hiring or promoting, Overstock will FORCE the responsibility on to someone, and not give them a pay increase or a title change. Several "managers" are doing the work of senior directors. One VP is particularly to blame for this, and claims that "we'll change things in February, when it's time for bonuses and raises." SHAME ON YOU.
- Degradation of knowledge for internal systems, causing degradation of the company itself
- Lack of overall strategy. This company is THE MOST REACTIVE you will ever work for, and you will NEVER be able to set a long-term strategy in place because of this. Don't even bother.
- Politics and nepotism. Favorites are consistently promoted to the top, even if they lack the necessary skills to complete the job. This causes a VERY LOW moral and the "workers" to be unmotivated and careless.
- A general lack of care for the employees by upper level management. Employees are looked upon as grunts that don't matter, forced to work unbelievably long hours for unbelievably NON-COMPETITIVE PAY.
- The company was told every year, "the bonus pool is going to be great!" and every year, without fail, there is some excuse as to why the bonuses are bad. People will be told, "don't worry, it's worth it for the bonus!" by upper management, only to be shafted when it comes that time of year. Don't even count on a bonus.

All in all, the leadership of the company is destroying the company, day by day. For years, they have said they will change, for years they have not. Don't expect things to change any time soon. This is not a place for a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the upper-level leaders who are selfishly looking out for themselves, driving out your valuable and ethical employees. The problem starts at the top, and needs to be fixed there as well. Stop ignoring the problem.

"What problem?"

Great company if you're in the right department.

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- lots to learn
- fun people
- lots of opportunity to move up or around

Cons- company reorganizations, letting people go without warning
- some parts of the business are led by people who don't necessarily have any business managing others
- cliques

Patrick Byrne, the CEO, is a tyrant.

I worked at Overstock.com

ProsI was able to do amazing work and to develop my skills.

ConsThe culture is horrible. It's real-life Yertle the Turtle. No one should work for Overstock.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou absolutely must get rid of Patrick Byrne. His bad ideas and practices have cost the company millions of dollars. O.co was a flop. His rule is oppressive. He promotes his mistress and those who will agree with him no matter what damage it causes. He carries guns through security at airports. Take a look at how many employees have left in the last year.

Flag Review

Overstock.com Senior Vice President, Human Capital Management responded to this review

Oct 25, 2013

Some facts to counter the emotion in this post:
1. On most recent employee satisfaction survey, 62 % of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that Overstock executives provide strong leadership for ... More

Rapidly changing, ripe with opportunity, but only because top management is bi-polar and create an unstable work enviro.

Worked On Special Projects (Former Employee)

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLaid back atmosphere, flexible. Has tremendous community values on some things. Excellent development team.

ConsUpper management uses emotions and will often make decisions on things they do not understand. Moving ahead in the company more often is who you know, not how hard you work. Bonus system is next to nonexistent, unless you are an executive, and never transparent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people you hire instead of having to be involved with every little decision. Quit paying yourselves so much and give it to the workers instead. This economy and country is being destroyed by those at the top of business. Quit adding to the problem, please.

Flag Review

Nov 1, 2013

The bonus system was changed for 2013 to address concerns like those expressed in this review about transparency. Basically, the 2013 bonus plan is to take a designated percentage of company profit ... More

Self Serving Leaders

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLot's of opportunity for lateral movement

ConsThere is very little recognition for work done, this includes monetary compensation.

The leadership is incredibly reactionary and dangerous.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect work life balance of your employees.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!

Overstock.com Videos

Overstock.com – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are Overstock.com is a company that cares. Our business model is based on helping our customers save money; and every customer matters. The same goes with our associates. At Overstock.com you are not just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Overstock.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne. All 370 reviews posted anonymously by Overstock.com employees.