Overstock.com

Updated Mar 9, 2014

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne

Patrick M. Byrne

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for.

Software Developer II (Current Employee)
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

ProsGreat people. Collaborative work environment. Flexible hours. Low stress. Learning a lot.

ConsThere are no cons at overstock. It's a great place to be a developer.

Don't Believe The Internal Surveys

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

ProsThe offices are at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon which means you're about 30 minutes from slapping your skis on when you get off work.

Your performance doesn't seem to matter as long as you understand the politics of the company.

ConsI felt like when taking a survey I was one of the few people answering honestly. This company is staffed by passive aggressive types that are worried their criticism of the company in surveys could be tracked back to them.

Upper Management is extremely reactive to market trends. There's a whole division of the company dedicated to trend analysis and forecasting... Of course these people are ignored and/or fired because their advice, based on facts, counters the hunches and gut feelings of upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a longterm strategy and follow it. I understand the benefits of being nimble but attempting to correct course week by week is not a good strategy. Identify your core business and grow it. Work in your strengths rather than trying to pursue new businesses that someone else is already doing better. Once you have a solid profit generating machine from your core that you can no longer improve then start looking at how to expand.

Also, surround yourself with people that are smart and willing to present counter arguments to your ideas... Then, and this is the hard part, actually listen to them.

Real Review ...

Software Tester (Former Employee)
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

ProsPay - it was quite good for me.
    Location - it is surrounded by beauty and located next to Big Cottonwood canyon.
    Flexibility - They are very understanding if you need time for appointments, family, errands, etc.

ConsHealthcare - One of the worst I have had.
    Disorganization - it was the most unstructured and disorganized place I have ever worked.
    Hostility - I have never worked some place with so much internal anger, bullying, and competitiveness. This is the reason I left.
    Apathy - No one cared about the success of projects in a genuine and supportive way - but sometimes in a threatening way. No one cares about your happiness there. No one cares to lead.
    Hands tied - I have never worked somewhere with so many barriers and lack of assistance. They expected you to succeed and then don't empower you to do so. You are expected to take initiative and get through those barriers, which is fine and dandy, but then the same barriers exist for everyone on every project and they don't fix them. Other experts that can help you intentionally do not for whatever reason (for me I was told it was because of time constraints and in one case it was just because the person didn't want to because he said he didn't care).
    Negativity - The attitude of the people I worked with was sarcasm, criticism, condescension, elitism, disgust, and apathy.
    Escape Artists - there were quite a few people that dodged work in any way they could and they were not reprimanded. They flew under the radar and honestly did less work in a year than others did in weeks.
    No Leadership - I had four different managers/supervisors/directors in my short time there and they all quit. There was a period of time I had no manager 1 or even 2 levels above me where there were positions open. I had very little direction, guidance, or support. Actually I was never even really sure who I reported to. Where there are leaders higher up (executives), they seemed completely oblivious to how we were using their time and money.
    Fear - Another reason I left was that I felt someone who was a tyrant got into a position of power and people feared even being in the same room as that person because they might get fired if they did anything to displease them. Personally, I had to deal with the fear of getting into yelling, hollering, and threatening situations. Some these were very close to physical. There was lots of cussing, swearing, and physical intimidation (fist pounding, people getting right in your face, throwing things etc.).
    Lack of Structure - I was never really officially on any team. Software development there is very agile, self managed, and fluid. I think being this way is good to a certain extent, but there needs to be good direction, decisions, and some framework of ideas in place in order to achieve some business goal. It is really chaos when large egos with different ideas are constantly battling each other and no leader creates resolution. There really needs to be better structure and flow there when and where self management is failing - but no one ever seems to notice or care.

They created one of the worst experiences in my life for me, and the worst part about it is, even though I brought it up with my coworkers and various superiors, no one ever tried to fix it and they didn't seem to care. I think it is because no one wants to make waves and they don't care - they would rather just quit as all my superiors did. The place needs a major overhaul or to be demolished.
    One other note - I think the company is going to do well financially for a while, but eventually it will explode from the middle out unless they fix the major issues I have listed. I think there is lots of wiggle room for mistakes and they will still make profits, but eventually they will exhaust all the talent in the area no matter how much they pay and then things will dwindle. There is still time to recover I think, but I will never work there again - I would rather be dead than sacrifice my integrity that way. They don't deserve my time after how I was treated and how they treat each other and themselves. It literally makes me sick to my stomach to think about the waste of potential and money there. Some people might say, why not help to try and fix it, then I consider the fact that I am not immortal and there are other companies that already have much, much better culture, work environment, and employees.

I can't think of a reason why I would recommend this company to anyone for employment, but if you talk with someone else from the company, you might get a completely different response because of the internal disparity. Again - why risk it, go somewhere else in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementAre you kidding? Pay attention. Control the apathy and people taking advantage of the company. Kill the aggression and hostility if you want to keep employees - but I never got the impression that you cared any way, so I doubt you will listen. Foster a community of cooperation rather than internal competitiveness. Stop being so oblivious to the well being of the teams. You keep losing people, but don't care why and then just dish out more money as if that will make up for things and get more talent. Money doesn't matter at a certain point. If you want to attract and keep people, think about the internal environment and make it a place where people will want to be and feel empowered to succeed. What a mess.

Because Glassdoor doesn't have a box for general comments, I guess I will put them here:
    The company is large enough that if you talk with someone on Team A they love it and someone on Team H they hate it. There are lots of good and bad reviews on Glassdoor and I think that is the reason why. The company is very chaotic and inconsistent. Unless they do something to get involved and understand themselves better, they will wax and wane in the market.
    Personally I looked at the reviews before I stared there and thought well - they are mostly favorable with some nightmarish ones peppered in. Whatever Overstock can dish out, I will handle it and it will make me stronger. I am glad I experienced it so now I have another point of reference data, but I can save you some time and anguish and let you know that if you do happen to land in one of the bad pockets, you will be miserable. But who knows you might get lucky and end up in a good team/department. I suppose you could take a shot and then look for another job if didn't work out.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work in terms of life an technology.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

ProsGood place to work in terms of life an technology.

ConsManagement needs to focus more on futuristic decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on planing more

Great

Associate Buyer (Current Employee)
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

ProsI love working for overstock great place

ConsI have no complaints at this time.

Wonderful, friendly work environment

Cottonwood Heights, UT

ProsI have been working at Overstock.com for a little over two months, and I have been very impressed with the work environment. In other workplaces, I've struggled with employees who had power struggles and felt they needed to boss me around and belittle me because I wasn't in a position of authority like they were.

The opposite is true at Overstock.com. I feel comfortable talking to executives like they were my best friends, and I have never felt that they didn't respect me because I was brand-new. The CEO and all of the vice presidents and other executives of the company are humble, friendly and completely open with their praise and occasional criticism. Their positive attitudes have in turn helped me to become a more productive employee, and I look forward to coming to work each day in an environment where no one is made to feel inferior to anyone else.

I also value the teamwork that I feel at Overstock.com. Each one of the departments in the company works with others to make sure that everything goes smoothly, and each department is valued equally. I am impressed that everyone gets along and is simply trying to improve the company's performance. Even with good-natured competitions such as food drives and raffles between buildings and departments, the employees at Overstock.com work together and never put each other down, and that is something I value highly.

ConsThe only cons I can think of while working at Overstock.com are that I sometimes feel like I don't have much to do in my position. However, this is not a fault of the company's but is a fault of the changing online industry that requires different techniques and tactics all the time. Once I have settled into a routine here at the company, I'm sure I will feel more fulfilled as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am very impressed with how you and your executives have run this company and how dedicated you are to honest business practices. I am always proud to tell friends and acquaintances that I work at Overstock.com, because I feel that it is rewarding to work for a company that is dedicated to making life easier for millions of people across the world. There are no hidden fees, no ploys to get people to buy poorly-made merchandise to get it off our hands. You are a bunch of hard-working, ethical people who want to save everyone money -- and you're doing a great job. I'm excited to be a part of the team!

Great place to work, overall

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

ProsYou can expect an honest working environment at Overstock.com. The first thing that they tell you when you're hired is "If you're caught in a lie, there goes your job." I've had a few difference managers, all of which have good support for family values, work ethic, and schedule flexibility. The pay is great, and the hiring process is rigorous enough that few (if any) slackers get hired.

ConsAlthough there are opportunities for advancement within the company, most of them are management positions. There are few opportunities to advance purely on a technology level, even though the IT department (software dev, operations, etc) is quite large. Unless you are in management, don't expect anyone in management to really listen to your ideas. Even if you've been with the company for years, the lack of advance in job title says a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the VPs and Directors, have more one-on-ones with those on the bottom of your food chain. There are things your direct reports would never tell you.

Overall good place to work

With This Level of Honesty, I Don't Think So (Current Employee)
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

ProsThere are some crazy smart people and just being around them rubs off. I am able to go to school and still pull my weight. There are cutting edge technologies and a high level of sophistication in the tools I use to do my job.

I appreciate that we are being given an opportunity to comment. It shows a willingness to consider alternate points of view.

Stand-up meetings are awesome. Interacting with management and getting a sense of the "vision" that they have for the company, makes us stand apart.

I often hear complaints about being required to move from one desk to another and change floors. I actually think that this is a good thing and have met and got to know all kinds of people in various departments thanks to this simple strategy.

ConsMaybe it is the stress of the job, but occasionally angry, and unhelpful email messages make it down from the upper levels. My boss and my bosses boss often find themselves trying to comprehend a email message sent down from "on high" by someone that is completely out of touch with reality. I am in a position to have seen this from multiple departments and don't believe it is isolated to my department.

There is a tendency to play the blame game. Occasional witch hunts result in a environment of fear. Often the first responder attempting to solve a critical issue gets summarily executed when the solution does not work.

I am highly awarded from previous companies and receive regular positive feedback from my peers and those internal customers that I work for, but have a tinfoil hat feeling that I am being stopped in my progression due to misconceptions that persons above me have harbored for years.

I suspect that promotion will happen after I leave school and leave the company. Several long conversations with my colleagues, suggests that I am not alone in that feeling.

Advice to Senior ManagementA position of leadership is a service position. Often a leadership position is not because you are smarter, but because we need someone to make a final decision.

If a person sticks their neck out to help and gets whacked when the result is not positive, you are teaching that person to avoid sticking their neck out.

The blame game results in a toxic environment within a team.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

ProsIt's great to work with really smart people in a fast-paced environment. There are plenty of great learning opportunities available and tons of interesting projects with which you can become involved. Employees are mostly very fun and motivated people. If you're smart and work hard there are lots of opportunities for upward movement within the organization. CEO is accessible and works closely with employees on a day-to-day basis. He gave me a very generous public compliment on my first day. :) Management is primarily numbers-driven with really clear expectations. Great benefits and lots of paid vacation time.

ConsSometimes the org chart could become a little unclear. Not a big problem overall though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!

Overstock.com Videos

Overstock.com – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are Overstock.com is a company that cares. Our business model is based on helping our customers save money; and every customer matters. The same goes with our associates. At Overstock.com you are not just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Overstock.com reviews and ratings in Cottonwood Heights, UT — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Overstock.com employees.