Overstock.com

Overstock.com Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne

Patrick M. Byrne

Pros:
  • "Work life balance, salary, annual bonus, technically challenging"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Work environment is clean and very serious with maintaining employee safety"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Management team is fairly incompetent, Although recent senior management hires have been impressive"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great overall

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFair compensation, brilliant IT people, great opportunities for growth. Location is amazing. Projects move quickly and credit is usually given where due.

ConsQuestionable ethics and poor (emotional) decisions by sr. management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop forcing employees to listen to political diatribes. It's illegal and in poor taste. Stop firing talented people for silly reasons. Stop being so paranoid.

Overall really good place to work

Buyer's Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

ProsPromote from within and really cultivate employees to move up in the company and reach their true potential. Relaxed attire.

ConsOpen format work environment. Almost everyone sits in a room of 10-15 other people, which may be stressful and/or distracting for certain personalities.

Great Company

Business Intelligence Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWork-life balance, office culture, location

Consnothing much to say here. Maybe more perks and sick days off

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of opportunities

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you're able to work hard and be a self starter there are lots of opportunities to get involved and improve your career. Your coworkers are awesome to work with. Benefits are good, recently moved to a 100% match up to 6% on the 401k, vesting immediately.

ConsIn can be an ad hoc, fire drill environment. Things can be really hectic. Company priorities, goals seems to change every 6 months. The vision/goal of the company isn't always clear

Pretty great for the right person...

Apparel Photographer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

ProsLaid back environment, hippie executives, great 401k, Positive work environment, Mostly good management.

ConsPoor personal politics that drag down the team, plateau quickly, Some lazy people in high positions with bad attitudes.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions based on what is best for the company, not based on personal politics, These bad decisions bring down the entire team and drive hard workers away because we feel like we have to just quit caring / working hard in order to be happy here. This is why I am leaving, so I can go to a company who reward hard work rather than tell me to care less in order to be keep underachievers on the team happy.

Good company for starting a career

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Overstock.com

ProsGreat opportunities to entry level and gain experience in a plethora of different job functions. Fast moving environment, dynamic industry. Provides opportunities to be creative and fosters personal growth.

ConsChanges direction seemingly with little consideration to current initiatives. Salary is low compared to other relevant competition.

Typical Corporation

Business (Current Employee)

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

ProsThe CEO is great (just too bad it doesn't trickle down to the rest of management), there are some good people who work there, company values sound and look good on paper

ConsThe culture of Overstock is challenging - most of upper management is completely out of touch with reality and with the people they are supposed to be managing. The office location out by the airport is a joke, the higher ups try to make you drink the company kool-aid but deny it is what it is: a place for CS workers to sleep (both in break rooms and at their desks), and people with a high level of incompetence to excel. Developers and Merchandising groups are a constant revolving door.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe middle management is much better at their jobs than the people at the top. Motivating by fear is not a good way to conduct business. Instead of threatening people, try actually showing them you appreciate their hard work - rather than the current tactics of promoting morons just because they know someone already at the top (and who are, in reality, totally incapable of producing respectable results).

Quick overturn

I have been working at Overstock.com

ProsGood company morale, they tend to hire within.

ConsQuick overturn in all departments

Overall, not a bad place to be employed at

Frontline Customer Care (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for less than a year

ProsWe all go to work to earn a paycheck and that's definitely my number one pro for Overstock since the starting wage is more than the ending wage at my last job where I was in management and worked for four years . Most days, I can honestly say that I enjoy going to work and being in the frontline customer care team. I have options to actually help customers, at least the reasonable ones, and to "do the right thing". The company also has lots of fun things that help your attitude towards work. Examples: Lagoon Day, their OUniversity resources, polls to employees to give you the impression your opinion matters.

ConsFor me, the biggest con has been noticing that it's more of who you know than your actual abilities to be able to move around to other departments. It's caused me to wonder whether I want to actually work here long term. The company's requirements to "tier up" and gain additional tools to help your daily job are also a bit ridiculous. I was able to get to their tier 2 within a few months of being on the floor, which made me feel great about myself & work abilities. But since then I've been a few percentages off from their stat requirements to go to tier 3, making me feel "stuck" and not able to progress, despite trying my best to help customers and follow proper procedures. On top on this, the company's Internal Knowledge Base (IKB) is seriously outdated and could use a makeover - unlike other company websites that are rarely used that have undergone recent makeovers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love the vibe given at stand ups of every employee counting and working together. However, the daily grind isn't really like that. There's a lack of communication between departments (at least from my perspective in frontline where backline reps seem annoyed at questions or request for help with customers), resources (IKB) that I use daily are outdated, and the obvious favoritism through out the company is a real bummer.

Like all jobs it has it's good and bad...

Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

ProsI really like working at Overstock, I've been with them for a while because I believe in the overall vision of the company. The people you work with are great, everyone listens to each other in my department, and we work together to accomplish goals. The company really cares about employee insight, and polls the employees when they are considering big changes. The polls they send take a collective vote of what employees would like an outcome of the change to be, especially when it comes to things that benefit or do not benefit the employees. It's really cool that they care..

ConsIf you aren't friends with someone in a different department, you might as well never consider moving around in the company (if say you want to move up). A lot of judgement is placed on a person if you ever make a mistake, big or small. In some areas this isn't the case, but it all depends on who your manager is, and what department you work in. They have weird titles for people in the company that usually don't fit industry standard, and pay isn't great. Essentially if you don't have a degree it's perceived that A. You can't move up in the company B. You can never make a substantial living to survive in Utah without roommate/spouse. Maybe that's the case with any company, but it does become rough when you train a new manager on how to do their job and you are their employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverstock is headed in a wonderful direction, you hire amazing people with amazing talent. The education you provide through O University is outstanding, and there are MANY amazing benefits you offer. My only suggestion would be to consider cutting back in areas that aren't necessary and place those funds towards current employees. Also, I think it would be helpful to put more emphasis on teaching every employee how to become better leaders. Those courses are wonderfully provided in O University.. which again, I thank you for.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!

Overstock.com Videos

Overstock.com – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are Overstock.com is a company that cares. Our business model is based on helping our customers save money; and every customer matters. The same goes with our associates. At Overstock.com you are not just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Overstock.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne. All 371 reviews posted anonymously by Overstock.com employees.