Overstock.com

Overstock.com Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne

Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here(in 28 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management(in 29 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business(in 16 reviews)

Love it

Associate Buyer (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThis company takes care of their employees and is the most positive office environment!

ConsThe salary is lower but they make it up in all the benefits they provide.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to new ideas and management strategies.

Good opportunities, good benefits, good company overall to work for.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGood flexible work environment, good benefits, fair compensation, challenging work, good opportunities to move around in the company. Overall a good company to work for.

ConsMany competing and changing priorities. Some of this is warranted given the nature of online business but this could be managed better.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs an overall strategic focus.

Great experience

ProsI love the people at Overstock.com.

ConsNot much room for advancement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, great benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy going atmosphere, but people are serious about doing a great job. Easy to set your own schedule, as long as you get your stuff done everyone was happy. Good team atmosphere and people are very caring.

ConsPay was good but not great. If you don't like foul language you might be offended daily depending on the team you are on. Some of the upper management seemed unstable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great benefits.

Don't get your hopes up

Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsJust like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here. The devs there tend to be pretty sharp and easy to work with. The project manager's I worked with were also great to work with most being industry vets. The IT side of the company seemed to be the most solid part of the company by far.

ConsI'm more or less writting this review in response to the one left by "a company leader" on June 14th. The condenscending and belligerent response is something you will come to expect when dealing with senior management there. The CEO seems to be the genuine article and does seem to want to build a great company with real values. He's a big believer in the transparency offered on glassdoor and has urged employees on a number of occassions to get on here and leave their feedback about the company. So a lot of these reviews are essentially the complaints you hear around the office that never get dealt with and former employees are hoping that Patrick will see their comments and make changes to save what could be an amazing company.

Think about what this leader is saying in regard to "sidelining" managers and departments. They've basically come out and admitted that the reviews stating that the executive team is hostile and difficult to work with are true. I don't have an MBA but setting up a separate DEPARTMENT to undermine the work of another seems to be hostile and just plain dumb. What makes this statement even more bizarre is that it is a well known fact that people there get fired all the time for reasons that have nothing to do with their performance so it should be a given that they would be terminated if they weren't cutting mustard.

Think about it this way...there is a senior executive there who has left a public message here riddled with spelling and grammatical errors claiming that any ex employee's who leave negative feedback need to go to a support group. WTF??? In the very next sentence they bemoan the fact that they aren't firing enough people and anyone who has a "bad attitude" should just leave because slavery has been abolished. Are you starting to get the picture?

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to bring stability to your middle management layer. I can't tell you how many people I've seen land a promotion to some seemingly important role only to turn around and leave or be fired within 6 months. How demoralazing is it to see that from a co-workers perspective? Check out the review from July 1st from a former Director to see how this impacts the people there.

Great place to learn ecommerce. Dangerous place to build a career.

Director (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOverstock is the last of a dying breed. It is the last broad-line etailer left that makes all of its money from e-commerce. While Ebay and Amazon make most of their profits from enterprise products, Overstock soldiers along making every dollar selling sheets, shoes and DVDs. As a result, you have to be good at etail because that's all there is at Overstock. And there are / were some good employees that know it well. Working at Overstock will help you learn ecommerce inside and out.

ConsSenior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business. There is a strange desire to follow a dream that will never come to fruition. Unlike Amazon's CEO, who is an engineer and a "doer", Overstock CEO is a philosopher, so majority of strategy or ideas follow the path of philosophy - words, but no clear actions. There is no real strategy, no real interest in pursuing a clear path to long-term profitability. The goal is to play in any sandbox the CEO is interested in - its a fun game for him, and he doesn't care because he has inherited hundreds of millions from his father. Executives who oppose this approach are terminated or pushed out. During my time there I saw some of the best leaders and executives walked out the door for opposing the CEO in even the most subtle ways. Pay is relatively low - it is Utah, so people are willing to take a cut to work there. Work-life balance is amazing - no reason to work hard when there is not real incentive to deliver results, or your own projects are killed. Politics are rampant - but they are easy to understand - they all center around doing exactly what the CEO and President say, no matter how inane.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to say. I don't think management really cares - CEO and President have all their comp coming outside of Overstock, so driving long term profitability, value and employee satisfaction is not interesting to them.

Too much firefighting

Information Technology (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOccasionally they will spring for a pizza party or similar lunch. To compensate for 60 hour weeks.

ConsWhere is the long term strategic planning to match up with day to day operations? This place is always changing, there is a real lack of fire prevention activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementLay off the 'social conscience' stuff as it creates a hostile work environment, regardless of the "it's for a good cause' aspect.

I enjoyed a very organized and effective training program. I achieved 90% Quality Satisfaction and was promoted quickly.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsTable Tennis at SLC headquarters. A very large friendly team, fun games and prizes, excellent training, company ethics, great brand reputation, great customers, upper management was supportive, encouraging and available, CEO, Patrick Byrne is cool and inspiring. He threw a large party for us, good pay, and great work environment.

ConsThe location in Salt Lake City is quite bland, very strict and timely regarding clocking in and out for breaks and such. You spend a lot of time with your co workers so I remember clashing with one of supervisors and it led to me quitting the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is doing great. Thanks for making it a safe, healthy and prosperous environment.

Great employees

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with very great individuals

ConsOverstock owners were not organized

Not a great experience

Software Developer (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOverstock can be a fun place to work, if not a bit juvenile. Schedules can be flexible and facilities are nice.

ConsAlthough I honestly believe this company is run by people with good intentions, there is no organization or sense of direction. The CEO is a great man whom deserves respect as he truly cares for his company but the company has a very poor structure. There are way too many departments and managers. There is no consistency in the management of each department. Some managers are too laid back and unproductive while others (the majority) take themselves much, much too seriously. I think the folks in upper management would be surprised to hear what gets said about all those VPs and Directors in addition to what one Director may say about another, it's really uncomfortable to be around. To all those Directors and VP's, it's not a competition so pull back a little. To be successful there means you have to enjoy working in an environment where there is no or very little training, no follow up unless the wheels fall off and no real sense of direction. What is important today may very well be replaced tomorrow which will result in a whole new set of marching orders. If you like to work where there is a common vision and a sense that everyone is working to a single goal, don't work there. If you want even a minimal amount of organization, look elsewhere because it does not exists at Overstock. Bottom line, you can do better than working at Overstock. Lots of glitter, very little substance.

I've been away for a couple months now so my comments have most likely been tempered by time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThin the management herd a little and make them understand it's not a competition between departments to see who gets the most attention.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!