Overstock.com Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.5

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here (in 28 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management (in 29 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Very nive place for Tech Enthusiasts

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Good Management and Good Tools and Technologies used

Cons

None, None, None, None, None,

None, None, None, None, None,

The Big Company with the Soul of a Start-Up

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

It's a fast-paced, energized, open environment, filled with some of the smartest, most passionate people I've ever met. Considering the overall size of the company, the organization is relatively flat; if you have an innovative idea you want to pursue, this is the place to make it happen. I have never been in such a soul-filled, energized, exciting environment.

Cons

There are so many amazing ideas, but not enough hours and/or developers to pursue them all at the same time.

Create an overarching project priority list, and communicate this throughout the company (especially when priorities change).

Hard Work and a Positive Attitude Take You Anywhere

Current Employee - Partner Account Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Partner Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone cares about you, and your concerns matter

Cons

Lack of technical knowledge and potential

Associates need better outlines for career paths and opportunities

Overstock.com Response

Aug 24, 2014CEO

Thanks for the feedback. I regret that associates need better outlines for career paths. I think you are right. You know, we have over the years promoted a tremendous number of people from within ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good opportunities, good benefits, good company overall to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Good flexible work environment, good benefits, fair compensation, challenging work, good opportunities to move around in the company. Overall a good company to work for.

Cons

Many competing and changing priorities. Some of this is warranted given the nature of online business but this could be managed better.

Company needs an overall strategic focus.

Love it

Current Employee - Associate Buyer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company takes care of their employees and is the most positive office environment!

Cons

The salary is lower but they make it up in all the benefits they provide.

Be open to new ideas and management strategies.

I enjoyed a very organized and effective training program. I achieved 90% Quality Satisfaction and was promoted quickly.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Table Tennis at SLC headquarters. A very large friendly team, fun games and prizes, excellent training, company ethics, great brand reputation, great customers, upper management was supportive, encouraging and available, CEO, Patrick Byrne is cool and inspiring. He threw a large party for us, good pay, and great work environment.

Cons

The location in Salt Lake City is quite bland, very strict and timely regarding clocking in and out for breaks and such. You spend a lot of time with your co workers so I remember clashing with one of supervisors and it led to me quitting the company.

Upper management is doing great. Thanks for making it a safe, healthy and prosperous environment.

We are all in it together.

Current Employee - Senior Leader
    Current Employee - Senior Leader

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is slightly above average, and for the best 20% of people it is significantly more. They get shares and become owners. There is ample education, and ample opportunity to learn, and even those systems are definitely being work on, finally. Our ideas are sought and actually drive much of the company's direction.Weget to make many strategic decisions by democratic process.

Cons

Some departments get complacent, bureaucratic, better-than. When that happens, Patrick moves new management in, or recreates an alternative version of the department to be managed by someone new. Those who do not get what the program used to get cajoled and pleaded with to change. Now, they are sidelined, and as things get built around them, they get sore. Many leave, in time, and write, I believe, the nasty notes here.That is one of the worst parts of working here: learning about all the bitter ex`employees who cannot move on, and go to support groups.

Be lessz timid about cutting those who have a bad attitude. They don't belong. Tell them that there's no slavery, and instead of griping, hit the road.

The best work environment in Utah.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Real and tangible opportunities for growth that are not just hot air. They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting. I have worked at other call centers and nothing compares to it. I think what I like best is how management is continually working to improve job satisfaction and benefits. They just did a complete overhaul to our benefits and it was amazing.

Cons

Your schedule changes according to call volume and that can be incredibly annoying.

Keep doing what you are doing! I love how customer and employee centric the company is.

A Place Where You Can Change Your Life.

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Team Lead in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is no glass ceiling. Diversity is encouraged. Excellence is rewarded. While some areas of the company have obvious requirements for a specific role (you should have a law degree to be a lawyer) you can move very far simply by being a motivated, business-savvy person. General quality of life is very good.

Cons

Everyone is really friendly and teams intermingle. It can lead to or at least give the appearance of nepotism. If you know the right person and you've developed a relationship with them and they are able to help you move up, how is that any different than networking. I don't think unqualified people are moving up. But I do feel it impacts the decisions when you are deciding which of a couple people you're going to take a chance on.

Just keep doing what you're doing. I've found that people's attitudes are what make their experience at Overstock.com a positive one or a negative one.

Nice Corporaton

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Cares about employees. Up to date on technology.

Cons

Located in Salt Lake City. Not much activity during winter.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!