Overstock.com Reviews

451 reviews filtered by
3.2
Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here (in 32 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management (in 31 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to build your resume and find a home!

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There's a lot of opportunity to innovate and be recognized if you are willing to put in the time. You get a good vibe at Overstock that you don't get at other companies. It could be because the people like each other and generally enjoy coming to work. It could also be because the CEO and President care as much about people as they do about growing the business. Either way, it's a great place to find a home.

Cons

Too many special projects can be overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Take time to enjoy the wins.

2. customer service frontline

I worked at Overstock.com (more than a year)

Pros

I was able to get a call center experience. They have some nice benefits. Lagoon day was fun too.

Cons

Horrible place to work, they treat their employees bad, no room to grow and No raises. They will not work with you on anything, they are just horrible people.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect. help people get raises and show appreciation to everyone, especially those who work extra hard. Make work a fun place to be at.

bait and switch

Current Employee - Front Line Agent Tier II
    Current Employee - Front Line Agent Tier II

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

awesome benefits and 401K but be careful some of them are changing.

Cons

unless you 'kiss up' you will never get off 'frontline' positions (basic customer service). i worked there about 2 years with perfect attendance, great stats (oh lets not forget that raises and advancement are based on a completely arbitrary 'NPS' which has nothing to do with YOU as an agent and your helpfulness or professionalism) but never moved up and was never able to transfer to 'backline' positions. some of the team leads (did i forget to mention that about 40% of our team leads were dumped? as well as about 30-45 agents just disappeared since January 1st?) are total buttheads who wont take escalation calls, wont get off their seats and some of our management team dont even have a clue what we are doing. one newer very professional agent was told off by our current 'co president' stormy simon who turned out to be wrong. he didnt last very long after that situation.
    turn over has gone up 500% since january 1st with the new management team. one of the main supervisors (mannie?) was caught using profanity and screaming at an agent for something that wasnt even his fault (it was not myself but i walked past her office when she went off) not very professional.
    at one time i would have recommended overstock to friends but no longer. the new management team are evil, indifferent, and team leads are going out of their way to get rid of agents at this time-as i mentioned we have lost 7-8 team leads and about 30-45 'front line' agents in 3 months and a lot of current agents are terrified for their jobs. I have updated my resume and am already job hunting since i see what is going on.
    good luck if you go to work for them you will need it. I will never recommend overstock to anyone and will never shop at overstock ever again.

Advice to Management

quit treating your front line agents like garbage, give us back our team leads (when we cant find a team lead to help out or for escalation calls because there's only 4-5 team leads on the floor at any one time. it's gotten so bad that supervisors are bring QA agents to help out) and treat us like people not animals.

Former good place to work now a complete dump.

Current Employee - Customer Care Team Lead in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Care Team Lead in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Friends aND building has a bathroom and a heater.

Cons

when I started at Overstock it was amazing-benefits were excellent, helpfulness of the team leads etc. But, I have to say that in the last 3-4 months we have lost 50% of our team leads, have a complete change over of supervisors and managers and the turnover has gone from super low to over 50%. In the last 3 months of this year about half of our staff have either quit or been 'fired' for things that are actually part of our processes.

At one time I would have recommended overstock to anyone but no longer. Most of my coworkers were job hunting (I had several of them tell me of places to job hunt that I would never have considered). I will NO longer work for overstock, use their services, purchase items from them and will never say anything good about them ever again. It's amazing-they went from being a terrific company to work for to a company I can no longer say anything good about.

Good luck if you go to work for them.

Advice to Management

Stop firing and making those on my team and other teams leave for better jobs. Sucks being a team lead and watching employee morale go down the toilet cause the company is going down the drain. Me and several other team leads are searching and having job interviews on our days off.

Was a good place to work until recently

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

->Bonus = null
    ->Don't know the priority of the projects. In fact management people don't even know what's going on and just demand the developers to do what's said without even knowing the feasibility.
    ->Poor pay
    -> No job security
    ->->You never know when you will be fired without any reason.

Advice to Management

Stop the dirty politics.
    Stop firing people

Complete Mess

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I learned how senior management should not act. After going through this terrible experience I made great relationships with those who went through it with me.

Cons

Many employees compare employment at Overstock to an abusive relationship: senior management promises that they will treat the employees better, but it never happens. In one year there was 80% turnover in my department (marketing).
    A friend of mine spent 80 hours working over Thanksgiving weekend because upper management decided to change strategies the day before.
    I did not receive a bonus or raise because one of the directors spread lies about me. In the 5 years I was there, I had eight different VP's - seven of them were fired when I quit. The eighth one was fired 6 months after I left.
    Another friend of mine found that items were going missing from photo and commercial shoots. He went to his boss, who started an investigation. When the branding manager found out, she had the VP put an end to the investigation, and tried to get my friend fired.
    I could go on with many more experiences similar to this that happened to a friend or I.

Advice to Management

The culture has to change. If an employee stands out too much, they get cut down. From the top down, everyone is practicing CYA and throwing other people under the bus. You say that you don't put up with egos or politics, but you all have the biggest egos.

“It was fun at the beginning, but it got worse as time went on. Also full of empty promises.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing is coworkers. Fun people but you'll see all your friends get fired if management doesn't like them.

Cons

Absolutely no job security what so ever. the company is so mismanaged and will call you into an office and yell and swear at you for any thing.

Advice to Management

they are clueless. How this place hasn't gone under is a miracle. Pay your employees a liveable wage so we don't have to work a 2nd job.

Worst place ever!

Former Employee - CS Frontline
    Former Employee - CS Frontline

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I did meet some pretty cool new people. Training was pretty fun but it was ALL downhill from there!

Cons

You have to either sleep with, party with, or smoke weed with upper management to get anywhere above frontline customer service. They say it is not about the amount of calls you take, but then they make you stay after your scheduled shift to "catch up" to where they want you to be. Management and Leads want you to make really good notes about what you did and also send a follow up email to each customer but then they yell at you 30 seconds after you get off a call to get back on the phones. They treat you like you are 5 years old and they are your babysitter always watching what you do, making sure you are back early from your lunches and breaks. They give you a few holidays that are paid but then they make you work on your regularly scheduled day off which really sucks when you have kids and no babysitter for those days!

Advice to Management

Stop the nepotism. Your boss should NOT be your husband! Pay attention to those that work hard, promote them! Raise the salary, the pay sucks for all of the crap employees have to take on frontline.

Overstock.com Response

Feb 28, 2015CEO

Wow. I wish someone had told me. It sounds like I have been really missing out.

Employee Beware

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Despite the lack of leadership and confusing work environment you'll find great coworkers that are hard working individuals.

Cons

The biggest problem I see is with leadership and overall lack of vision for the company. The person they have put in place as president is a big liability for them, This persons lacks the credentials, education and management experience for this very visible roll. This persons management style is to manage from a place of fear and intimidation. If your the type of individual that works best in a company with open communication, teamwork and decisive leaders you may not survive here.

Advice to Management

Hire great people, give them the tools they need and let them do what they do best. Word to the executives, embrace the concept of collaboration it's amazing what you can learn from your teams. Also stop believing your own hype and start listening to your customers, in the end it's about them not self-servlng executives with their own agenda.

Overstock.com Response

Dec 9, 2014SVP Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion. I thought you should know that the greatest champion of the qualities you seek in your career, hiring great people, embracing collaboration, and ... More

Too much inbreeding

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

A good place to start your career if you are fresh out of college. Learn skills in a laid back environment and gain exposure to office politics.

Cons

Management is from within and they are fiercely loyal to one another. Office politics is a full time job and being thrown under the bus is common practice.

Advice to Management

Quit.