Overstock.com

Overstock.com Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne

Patrick M. Byrne

Pros:
  • "The pay and work life balance is good, benefits are a little lacking, but overall not too bad"
    in 27 reviews
  • "They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Management team is fairly incompetent, Although recent senior management hires have been impressive"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

IF YOU CAN FAKE IT, YOU CAN MAKE IT.

(Former Employee)

ProsI like that you could easily move within the departments to train on other jobs within the company, however this usually has to be done on your down time, which is nice if you are one of those people who like to keep busy. Down side to this, once you are trained you will be expected and asked to help that department, of course you can say no, but that will make you look bad. More often than not people will do it to appease management and management does not compensate you for picking up the slack and extra work of the other department.

This company is great at creating jobs, not great at creating careers.

Not all the worker bees sucked, there were a few good apples.

Hours were good.

ConsManagement is a joke here. Its a very political culture, where if you're not brown nosing your superiors, or gossiping with them you are not part of the pack, and come end of the year when they do cuts you will be left behind . This place does not base its merits on your hard work, but on how popular you are with the "in" crowd. Its very much like high school, your boss will be nice to your face, but talk about you behind your back, or have plans to put you out by not leading you adequately. You are pretty much on your own when it comes to training and doing the job to their standards. Supervisors are not held accountable for mistakes you may make during the learning process, nor are they held accountable to lead you in the right direction. I personally never got constructive criticism from my supervisor, they were unhappy with my work, but chose to not bring it to my attention until they wanted to let me go. They would like you to think that they "care" and they definitely do a good job of putting on a show, however when push comes to shove, they are like any other corporate company, and will not hesitate to make necessary cuts. This company has no tact in how they handle people who do not fit their culture.

When employed I was very dissatisfied with their health care choices, their dental plan was not worth the money put into it, and neither was their medical. I never even met my deductible for that year to even have it benefit me a little.

My advice, stay on guard, document everything, follow the herd if you would like to keep your job, because even keeping to yourself could cost you, stay on top of your supervisor, and make sure they are staying on top of you. Just cover all your bases, and take everything with a grain of salt.

They are just like any other corporate company, though they claim to be different, they are not. Really the only difference is you can tell this is a Utah based online company when you go online. The website is amateur at best, they have a lot of head way to get through compared to their competitors.

Also the pay does not match with what they expect of you. Not worth it in the end.

Amazons clothing department alone puts Overstocks to shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementReform your management team or at the very least train the supervisors to actually do their jobs and supervise. There were sketchy things going on behind the scenes in the creative department, might want to look into that, and stay on top of the ones you might supposedly trust.

Also might want to look into changing who you are competing against because Overstock does not hold a candle to Amazon. C'mon?!?! Really?!?! Aim lower and you may stay above water.

Poor leaders, lack of direction

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOverstock has a free Lagoon day for all employees and their families, which I thought was great, and they also host an annual concert for employees as well. The company is growing, and it was cool to be a part of the retail growth while I worked there.

ConsLeaders are not approachable at all and not willing to listen to criticism or valid complaints. I frequently left work in tears because I was so unhappy, and I felt that no one cared about making the environment better. I also think they care much more about the bottom line than their employees -- and a lot of other people left the company around the same time I did for the same reasons.

A three ring circus

Customer Care Representative (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsPay is decent and the benefits are pretty good.

ConsI've worked here for over 5 years and at first I really loved my job and the company. I used to tell everyone what a great company overstock.com was to work for. I was told when I was hired that I would only be required to work weekends occasionally. And at first that was true. But after 5 years, I'm working solid weekends for months and I can't get a straight answer as to why and if/when that will change. We were also promised that there is always room for advancement, but unless you have a certain family status or know someone that can pull strings, good luck.
    Also, a few of us had ideas on how to make the company better. At first they seemed to listen and we even had lunch with upper management because our ideas were so good. But years later, the simple changes that we suggested are still unchanged, making customers frustrated and our jobs harder. But they don't answer the phones, so it makes sense that they don't care. Thinking that things would get better, I've stayed. But where they keep getting worse, I'm looking for a new job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees the way we are expected to treat our customers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run, don't walk from this company

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsWork life balance is good. Benefits are not bad. Flexible hours.

ConsI worked for Overstock.com for 3 years. It was one of the worst ran companies I have seen. Software developers are treated as 2nd tier employees. People in IT are often referred to as 'resources' rather than members of a project. They are told what to implement and there is little to no true collaboration between developers and the 'business side' because of power control. Unfortunately a lot of development teams are OK with this because it allows them to put minimal effort in, arriving at 9:30 and leaving at 4:45.

There is little to no room for advancement in IT. Ask about it.

Communication between teams is near non existent. In fact there exists a certain "if I don't have to tell you I won't" type attitude in near every area of IT. Much of the IT staff is being moved to the Warehouse facilities where the office space is terrible (but they won't show you that during the interview).

Most Developers are given 1 box that is a core2duo machine, yes a core2duo!! Two 26 1080p monitors. I have heard it called sweat shop development, thus the terrible hardware provided. They have a 3 year hardware cycle program, but buy low end stuff to start with.

The new CTO (as of a year ago) came in because he had been 'successful' with out-sourcing at KPMG. He has started the same sourcing to India at Overstock as well. It is not popular, but he continues to push it through.

To summarize, on the surface Overstock seems like a good place to work. But the details show a company that doesn't trust their IT/Development group. Has staff cycling through it in many departments. Overall you will be treated as just a number in the staff. Lastly Amazon is eating Overstock's any potential for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want a company to grow, hire the right people and let them do so...

Worst Company

Senior Software Tester (Current Employee)

ProsZEROS. There is nothing much happening here. only BUZZ

ConsMANY...Mainly Work Location is a crap

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst have proper office

Bogus reviews

ProsI enjoyed the team I worked with, but the company as a whole is corrupt and full of politics.

ConsPrevious reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management. Coming from someone that knows the inner-workings and what it's really like to work at overstock.com, it is painfully obvious that the good reviews on here are a sham. If you notice they suddenly pop up when negative reviews appear and there are just enough to push the bad reviews off of the first page. I'm sure they'll do it again once this post goes up.

Sexism, chauvinism and favoritism run rampant through this company. Employees who are qualified to do the work are rarely recognized, and friends of upper-management are often promoted to positions they have not earned or are incapable of doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value your employees, especially the ones that have the qualifications for their position. If you have to send out emails to ask your employees to give your company good reviews on here, then you obviously have a huge problem and a morale issue that you aren't addressing.

Must be part of the SLC Clan

IT Director (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting work
    Very Agile shop
    Great interaction with business

ConsYour not Mormon then your on the outside in SLC.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell you sort of did it...flushed out the old CTO who did not have a clue

Thoughtless, careless leaders. The worst I've seen.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere's a lot of opportunity for learning and advancing yourself at this company; however, there is little "mentorship" or help. In order to succeed, you must be able to learn complex systems on your own.

ConsTo the review who stated, "some employees think a company exists only to make their lives better," shame on you. Every employee I worked with at this company WANTED Overstock.com to succeed, put in hours of effort and sweat, and have gone through the grinder to make Overstock.com what it is today. Your comment shows exactly what is wrong with this company.

Here are some of the "cons" I witnessed throughout the years I worked for this company:
    - Random firing sprees. I witnessed one of 20+ people or more, none of whom were on a performance plan and had any reason to believe they would be fired.
    - Random firings. If you have a laptop in a meeting, or look at your cell phone (even if it's work-related) and an executive doesn't like it, you could be asked to leave the company at that moment.
    - "Trial and Error Promotions." When someone leaves the company, instead of hiring or promoting, Overstock will FORCE the responsibility on to someone, and not give them a pay increase or a title change. Several "managers" are doing the work of senior directors. One VP is particularly to blame for this, and claims that "we'll change things in February, when it's time for bonuses and raises." SHAME ON YOU.
    - Degradation of knowledge for internal systems, causing degradation of the company itself
    - Lack of overall strategy. This company is THE MOST REACTIVE you will ever work for, and you will NEVER be able to set a long-term strategy in place because of this. Don't even bother.
    - Politics and nepotism. Favorites are consistently promoted to the top, even if they lack the necessary skills to complete the job. This causes a VERY LOW moral and the "workers" to be unmotivated and careless.
    - A general lack of care for the employees by upper level management. Employees are looked upon as grunts that don't matter, forced to work unbelievably long hours for unbelievably NON-COMPETITIVE PAY.
    - The company was told every year, "the bonus pool is going to be great!" and every year, without fail, there is some excuse as to why the bonuses are bad. People will be told, "don't worry, it's worth it for the bonus!" by upper management, only to be shafted when it comes that time of year. Don't even count on a bonus.

All in all, the leadership of the company is destroying the company, day by day. For years, they have said they will change, for years they have not. Don't expect things to change any time soon. This is not a place for a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the upper-level leaders who are selfishly looking out for themselves, driving out your valuable and ethical employees. The problem starts at the top, and needs to be fixed there as well. Stop ignoring the problem.

"What problem?"

Patrick Byrne, the CEO, is a tyrant.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was able to do amazing work and to develop my skills.

ConsThe culture is horrible. It's real-life Yertle the Turtle. No one should work for Overstock.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou absolutely must get rid of Patrick Byrne. His bad ideas and practices have cost the company millions of dollars. O.co was a flop. His rule is oppressive. He promotes his mistress and those who will agree with him no matter what damage it causes. He carries guns through security at airports. Take a look at how many employees have left in the last year.

Flag Review
    Overstock.com Senior Vice President, Human Capital Management responded to this review Oct 25, 2013 EditDelete
    Some facts to counter the emotion in this post:
    1. On most recent employee satisfaction survey, 62 % of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that Overstock executives provide strong leadership for
    ... More

Self Serving Leaders

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsLot's of opportunity for lateral movement

ConsThere is very little recognition for work done, this includes monetary compensation.

The leadership is incredibly reactionary and dangerous.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect work life balance of your employees.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!

Overstock.com Videos

Overstock.com – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are Overstock.com is a company that cares. Our business model is based on helping our customers save money; and every customer matters. The same goes with our associates. At Overstock.com you are not just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Overstock.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne. All 388 reviews posted anonymously by Overstock.com employees.