Overstock.com Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.6

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here (in 28 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management (in 29 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company and opportunities

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overstock is fairly innovative, and the analytics department gives you lots of room to explore and try new things. Failure is not a concern for the most part. People are nice, and the culture is laid back. I think it's a great place to be, and I enjoy the people I work with and the culture of the company.

Cons

Too many suck-ups, and a lot of the senior people are there because they are friends with the CEO, and the direction of the company isn't very focused.

Create a better vision for the future, work with the teams better to structure this vision, and then move forward with it. I feel like there is a disconnect with what they want to do, and what we think they want to do.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Tester  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Tester in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No work and enjoy life

Cons

You will lose your career path
    No Management
    Too much politics
    Layoffs anytime

Grow up

A lot of potential, but always seems to fall short.

Current Employee - Information Technology Professional  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Information Technology Professional in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

All the parts are here to make amazing things happen. Super intelligent people. Fun atmosphere. Interesting challenges in both business and tech. Very progressive CEO. Lots of opportunity to move around the organization and learn new parts of the business.

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant. Politics play more into promotions then merit. Very progressive CEO. Always looking for the next Golden Goose to kill. Timelines and dates are mandated before ideas are fully realized. Very dysfunctional priority resolution. Too reactionary and not enough long term strategy.

Build and organize cross functional (business & tech) teams that support the long term needs and goals rather then the short projects. Hire a Senior Executive that understands technology and is able to represent the technical needs of the company to the executive team. Make the bonus a percentage of profit.

Aug 30, 2014CEO

Thanks for the advice. I am all in favor of building more cross-functional teams. There is some push-back from some folks who prefer conventional org structures, which I understand. I think where I ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard Work and a Positive Attitude Take You Anywhere

Current Employee - Partner Account Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Partner Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone cares about you, and your concerns matter

Cons

Lack of technical knowledge and potential

Associates need better outlines for career paths and opportunities

Aug 24, 2014CEO

Thanks for the feedback. I regret that associates need better outlines for career paths. I think you are right. You know, we have over the years promoted a tremendous number of people from within ... More

Overall, but not for everyone

I have been working at Overstock.com as an intern

Pros

-Great environment
    -Great work-life balance
    -Easy to approach Management

Cons

-Not as structured
    -Lots of last-minute changes that affect a lot of people

Up and coming company that values innovation

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Innovation
    Flexible work schedule
    Great people

Cons

Low compensation
    Changing priorities
    Not enough staff

Promote from within more
    Focus on consistent goals
    More perks

Aug 24, 2014CEO

On the subject of more perks: Yes, things could be a bit more perkish, but we are saving up for the $100 million Peace Coliseum, which will be a heck of a perk when it opens less than two years from ... More

Don't get your hopes up

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here. The devs there tend to be pretty sharp and easy to work with. The project manager's I worked with were also great to work with most being industry vets. The IT side of the company seemed to be the most solid part of the company by far.

Cons

I'm more or less writting this review in response to the one left by "a company leader" on June 14th. The condenscending and belligerent response is something you will come to expect when dealing with senior management there. The CEO seems to be the genuine article and does seem to want to build a great company with real values. He's a big believer in the transparency offered on glassdoor and has urged employees on a number of occassions to get on here and leave their feedback about the company. So a lot of these reviews are essentially the complaints you hear around the office that never get dealt with and former employees are hoping that Patrick will see their comments and make changes to save what could be an amazing company.

Think about what this leader is saying in regard to "sidelining" managers and departments. They've basically come out and admitted that the reviews stating that the executive team is hostile and difficult to work with are true. I don't have an MBA but setting up a separate DEPARTMENT to undermine the work of another seems to be hostile and just plain dumb. What makes this statement even more bizarre is that it is a well known fact that people there get fired all the time for reasons that have nothing to do with their performance so it should be a given that they would be terminated if they weren't cutting mustard.

Think about it this way...there is a senior executive there who has left a public message here riddled with spelling and grammatical errors claiming that any ex employee's who leave negative feedback need to go to a support group. WTF??? In the very next sentence they bemoan the fact that they aren't firing enough people and anyone who has a "bad attitude" should just leave because slavery has been abolished. Are you starting to get the picture?

Figure out how to bring stability to your middle management layer. I can't tell you how many people I've seen land a promotion to some seemingly important role only to turn around and leave or be fired within 6 months. How demoralazing is it to see that from a co-workers perspective? Check out the review from July 1st from a former Director to see how this impacts the people there.

Good opportunities, good benefits, good company overall to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Good flexible work environment, good benefits, fair compensation, challenging work, good opportunities to move around in the company. Overall a good company to work for.

Cons

Many competing and changing priorities. Some of this is warranted given the nature of online business but this could be managed better.

Company needs an overall strategic focus.

Great experience

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

I love the people at Overstock.com.

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Too much firefighting

Former Employee - Information Technology  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Occasionally they will spring for a pizza party or similar lunch. To compensate for 60 hour weeks.

Cons

Where is the long term strategic planning to match up with day to day operations? This place is always changing, there is a real lack of fire prevention activities.

Lay off the 'social conscience' stuff as it creates a hostile work environment, regardless of the "it's for a good cause' aspect.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!