Overstock.com Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
453 reviews filtered by

Linux Website Administrator

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Good place to learn, IT is a great place to learn. You have competent leadership in IT don't know about other parts, but I've hear some horror stories as well as a few good ones. Open atmosphere (as long as you're not "being watched".

Cons

Upper management, current pay, bonuses, budget cuts, "silent whistle" does nothing to certain people who really need to be disciplined. IT (not development), is extremely underpaid. There are a few people who have "worked" their way up the company who should definitely not be there, and are actually costing the company more than helping it. Marketing costs the company far too much and has even taken our company out of the "green" for the end of the year, and put us in the "red"...very bad.

Advice to Management

Your IT (NOT development, they're constantly awarded and patted on the back already) is the heart of the company, you need to treat us better. The website cannot possibly be kept up by a single person, there must be many, and we are still very short in this department. Of course the last, but certainly not the least, is pay...we aren't getting paid anywhere near what we should be making, and that needs to change soon.

Great People, Great Technology, Questionable Leaders

Former Employee - Employee
    Former Employee - Employee

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

- During my time with Overstock.com I worked with many exceptionally intelligent and capable individuals.

- Overstock.com is willing to experiment and embrace new technologies.

Cons

- Management is a mixed bag. There are a number of bright, capable leaders but there is also a large contingent of petty, bullying, incompetent and political leaders.

- There is tolerance of a political culture that allows nepotism while encouraging/rewarding bullying.

- Significant (and often ill-advised) changes are introduced to projects causing a lot of waste & unnecessary "emergencies".

- Crippling fear of involuntary transfers to alternate departments or job roles. It happens, and it happens a lot. Reorganizations are regular, extreme and often chaotic.

- Turnover. Too many of the best resources at Overstock.com leave, and a lot leave because of the toxicity within the company that seems to be spreading. New ones always come in, but the internal turnover and knowledge retention cannot be cheap, easy or efficient.

Advice to Management

Clean house. There is a lot of incompetence & petty behavior among the executives, and this should not be tolerated. It breeds a toxic culture and drives capable people away. There always has been a political branch on the overstock tree, and lately it seems to be gaining a lot power.

Patrick: Take charge & right your ship.

Focus on your competencies. Don't be distracted by every copycat initiative that's going to save the company.

It was fun at the beginning, but it got worse as time went on. Also was promises opportunities but never saw any.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good first Call Center job, everyone who works there is awesome and kind.

Cons

The company focuses on improving all the wrong areas, and never really knows how to address internal issues properly. For example, they didn't stress the importance of attendance for the time I worked there. There was an employee who had 11 no call/no shows before he was fired, something I've never heard of happening at any job I've ever worked before. When this was going on the company couldn't explain the influx of calls and emails everyone was getting, they put the blame else where and focused on productivity and accused everyone who would show up to work of not getting any thing done. They also put to much trust in employees, most of the time work is done incorrectly by the same person over and over again and they seem to address the issue once or twice and it still happens. It also is impossible to advance in the company unless you know someone in the department you want go to.

Advice to Management

Focus on the right areas of problems, and address them properly.

great place to work. awesome people

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Great people to work for. Great environment

Cons

Don't get on the wrong list.

Started good, but got worse

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Some of the people.
    Big company that you know is stable.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

Unrealistic timelines are almost the norm.
    Extremely micro-managed.
    Job security is sketchy because the higher level executives have let people go based on very little.

Advice to Management

Let your people make decisions, instead of micro-managing every tiny piece. Don't say the company doesn't have enough money for bonuses and raises and then have lunch catered for the executive staff almost every day.

Fun environment with too much politics

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Great people to work with. Can be a ton of fun day to day. Smart colleagues. The managers that I have worked with are great.

Cons

The executives do not allow the teams under them to influence enough decisions on priorities. Politics seem common, everyone falls in line or they quit or get fired.

Advice to Management

Spend more time vetting ideas and getting input from the rank and file employees. This will help avoid a lot of costly decisions.

Potentially great

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart and capable people exist throughout the organization. There are opportunities to move around and up within the company.

Cons

Every company has problems. This company's problem start and end with the executives. The CEO has promoted someone that is totally unqualified to be the president, and she rules by emotion. Many people have been fired over the years because she doesn't like them-regardless of their job performance. Employee morale plummets wherever she gets directly involved.

Advice to Management

Put real professionals in charge and trust your middle management do their jobs without constantly looking over their shoulders. Stop promoting Stormy's incompetent friends!

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Systems Integration Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Systems Integration Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

The people are the best. With only 1500 employees everyone becomes family very quickly. it’s a very supportive and close group of people. Middle and upper management are great. There are many chances to get promoted from within the company as well.

Cons

The only con is that they are a little below national average on their salaries. The people help make up the difference though. Their bonus system could use some restructuring.

Advice to Management

I’ve been very impressed by the executive team. They all seem to have an open door policy and are receptive to new ideas from subordinates. My only advice is to fix the bonus system. I like how it’s an egalitarian system so everyone gets the same amount relative to their salaries, but our compensation and bonuses should be based on hitting are goals and performance, not on expenses the company had incurred. Don’t punish the employees because the company lost a lawsuit especially when it was a record selling year. Besides the bonus system I would give Overstock 5 stars.

customer service frontline

I worked at Overstock.com (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to get a call center experience. They have some nice benefits. Lagoon day was fun too.

Cons

Horrible place to work, they treat their employees bad, no room to grow and No raises. They will not work with you on anything, they are just horrible people.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect. help people get raises and show appreciation to everyone, especially those who work extra hard. Make work a fun place to be at.

Mostly good with a few major problems.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are great to work with at overstock. Work to life balance is amazing. The culture is 21st century. Everyone is easy going and laid back.
    Despite my cons overstock is a fun place to work and is filled with, mostly, great people. I enjoyed my time there!

Cons

Management is horrible...very horrible. Executives don't plan and push projects professionally. Instead everything is done at the drop of a hat. Anything can happen, at anytime with 0 heads up. Plus executives are treated like royalty, you have to drop everything you are doing to help an executive, because it seems like they aren't capable of helping themselves.
    Nepotism. Can't go to either of overstocks locations without an executives relative calling the shots, even if they have no idea what they are doing. Probably get paid 4x more than any other employee as well.
    You are asked to do things outside of your scope and if you don't you can get fired, again, speaking of executives here.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse. Understand that people have jobs to do and can't hold your hands 24/7 to make sure you are happy. Take time to plan huge projects rather than rush them. Stop moving departments as much, let people work without having to move every month.