Overstock.com Reviews

Reset

1. still my favorite

Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Innovation, opportunity, and growth. Everyone works for common goals, with the most passion I have ever experienced anywhere. Things get done at this company. From conception to inception, you can watch your ideas grow and come to fruition. You work hard, show passion and drive, and you are rewarded and recognized. So many companies now have people just collecting pay checks, but Overstock is different, it's a family. They support their employees in both career and personal growth, and in the community. They invest in their people, and in the business. On any given day, you could see a team busily getting a new process in place, planning a fun community event, or new ways, positive ways to support customers and partners. I would never have gained the experience and knowledge I have had I not taken this job. I was able to grow and thrive in a way I hadn't ever thought possible.

Cons

If you are a sensitive type of person, you must understand that when it's time to get something done, you cannot take things personal. They expect you to be strong and powerful, and apeak your mind. You have to learn to separate the fun from the business. You cannot become complacent just because everyone is 'friends'. There are times of stress and just plain hard work. You have to be able to keep things separate. And as management, you have to learn to adapt quickly. There is a lot of passion behind why they do what they do. You have to be on board and sometimes just understand you must do what needs to get done, no matter what.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to offer more in depth training on the management of people. Helping to Understand what it means to lead, so that the same voice and language carries across the entire organization.

2. Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After having experienced two other corporate environments in the brief period of time since I left Overstock, I wish this review could be all pros. Wonderful culture, promotion from within, engaged and intelligent colleagues, great resources and investment in forward-looking projects, competitive compensation and great benefits; I could easily go on. To sum it all up I'll just say that Overstock is the one business I've worked at that truly allows it's employees to achieve whatever professional goals they have, providing assistance and the tools to do so along the way.

Cons

Since it can't be all pros I will note that while I felt well-compensated during my time there, with regular raises and good bonuses, I did have colleagues who felt somewhat underpaid relative to other people with similar titles at different companies. I personally chalk this up to the absurdly low cost of living in Salt Lake City, especially when compared to working in the Northeast or Pacific Northwest. I should also note that when some of those colleagues sought better pay (and were deserving of it) they were able to get it.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path you've trod so well recently; you've guided this company towards great success, and in doing so you've earned the full faith and trust of your employees.

Unfortunate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Lots of smart/good people who work hard and really want the business to succeed. 2. Never a boring day, fast paced 3. Never ending list of challenging problems to solve 4. If you are proactive and have a good idea you can test it out 5. As quirky as Patrick might be, he should be credited for his passion, standing by his principles and fighting the good fight. The company’s financial success and employee morale, however, would be better served if millions weren't spent on lawyers and if the promoting and hiring of senior executives was done by someone else.

Cons

The President. The other reviews explain the issue well enough. The Board needs to do something quickly or else the company will continue to lose its best people and/or be crippled by irrational decisions. The leadership thinks everyone is expendable but what they don't understand is that with each loss more and more invaluable tribal knowledge is being lost. The company and the remaining employees are then left to learn what was already learned, thus inhibiting progress.

Advice to Management

Seems obvious but appreciate, recognize and promote those people who work hard and make a real difference. These people may or may not be your best friend or the people who speak the loudest.

Very dissatisfied

Current Employee - Technology in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Technology in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility in schedule, company off-sites

Cons

apathy runs rampant and is contagious, people do not show up to meetings they accept, good ideas get support then no action, focus on operations/implementation at the expense of strategy and vision

Advice to Management

see the forest for the trees, embrace competitive intel, hire smarter/higher quality employees with a track record from notable companies

Unethical, Corrupt, Egotistical Company

Pros

1. I gained A LOT of experience working here. 2. I had the opportunity to work with a few good people (emphasis on few.) 3. 401K

Cons

I’ve seen some positive reviews on Glassdoor for Overstock, but I can tell you with certainty that those positive reviews were left by people who didn’t work closely with the executive team. 1. Executive Team/Management a. With everything I’ve witnessed over the past few years I have say the executive team closely resembles that “cool group” in high school. They do drugs together, sleep with each other, gossip behind each other’s backs, bully each other among other employees ETC. It obviously all starts and ends with the president: SS. She’s known as Overstock’s “poison.” I, among many other Overstock employees (former and present) believe she will cause the demise of Overstock. She “motivates” by fear, she’s nothing close to a leader and she’s completely unqualified to be in that position. b. Personally, I was sexually harassed and verbally abused by my boss (an executive) while I worked there. I kept record of every inappropriate thing my boss did or said to me, I also had multiple witnesses to the harassment and abuse. I finally mustered up enough courage to report what I had encountered and what did HR do…..? An “Investigation” that resulted in NO action. They told me to go back and work under my abuser “as normal.” They didn’t offer me any alternative. I did seek legal counsel, but ultimately… I decided I could not physically bare anymore emotional stress or anxiety on the matter. I didn’t want to waste anymore of my time fighting a company that had already caused me so much pain over the years I worked there. 2. High Turnover (result of exec./mgmt. Team) Employee turnover It is INSANE, people are constantly quitting or being fired, especially the Assistants that assist those on the executive team. Within a 4-month period 10 (some very long term) assistants quit, and 2 were fired. I know one of the president’s former assistant’s had to go to therapy after she quit because of all the terrible things she experienced. Not everyone that works at Overstock is bad, but the executive team among many directors, managers, HR, and some other employees are truly unethical and corrupt…One of the multiple issues with this is you don’t know who you can trust. They’re all entangled in this disgusting shady web where they cover for each other, but if they need to they’ll also throw each other under the bus. It’s unsettling to witness and just thinking about it now makes me sick. I’m probably 15-30 years younger than all of them and it breaks my heart to see these “adults” who should be fairly settled into who they are and what they stand for acting like 14 year olds in junior high. Not one of them has integrity. NOT ONE. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don’t waste your time working for people with 0 integrity or values. I’m now working for an amazing company with great people, high standards and ethics and my life is completely different. I’m SO happy, I’m healthy and I enjoy what I do and environment I do it in. Don’t settle for Overstock, I promise you it will never be worth it in the long run.

Advice to Management

None. Just a statement.... You ALL see and are very aware of the terrible things being said and done at Overstock and you do nothing. Each of you are contributing to the failure of Overstock. I hope you don't sleep at night, I hope none of you feel good about yourselves because quite frankly, none of you have the right to. You have one life, ONE LIFE to stand up for what's right and to spend your time doing things that contribute positively to your own life, the lives of your loved ones and the world. GROW UP, be an EXAMPLE, stop playing the “I want to be on Stormy’s good side” game. It’s PATHETIC. All of you talk negatively about Stormy behind her back, I’ve heard some of you! Stop being phony and acting like you support her when all each of you are really doing is trying to secure your jobs (which is impossible-by the way.) Maybe you make good money but there’s no way that can actually make up for the way you feel when your head hits the pillow.

Nightmares

Current Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team I work with directly (coworkers) are great people. We keep each other going everyday. If it weren't for my team, I would stop coming into work.

Cons

Working at Overstock.com is a thankless job beyond words. The executive management team lives to inflict fear in the hearts of their employees. This corporation is understaffed and underpaid across the board. Proper training resources are not available and the direction of the company changes with the wind. I've never worked for a company who starts so many projects only to pause or throw out the project entirely a week or two later once the ball is already in motion. This philosophy is a gross waste of time and resources. Many employees will never be acknowledged for the countless hours, blood, sweat, and tears they put in. As people continue to jump ship, Overstock is not hiring enough people to replace them so the work loads just grow and grow for the existing employees who are not compensated for the extra work. Further more, the more projects they dump on unqualified people the less efficient it makes the teams as a whole. There are employees here who have brilliant ideas which would help improve various business strategies but they aren't important enough to be heard. In many cases, people are so terrified about losing their job that they stifle the ones who seek change because they have found that complacency is the only way to save your job at Overstock. NEPOTISM IS A VIRUS HERE. Unless you know someone, sleep with someone, or are the son/daughter of someone at the executive level at Overstock you will never be treated with respect. The company president and her Storm Troopers will walk all over you and treat you as if you are sub-human. If at all costs, avoid working for this company.

Advice to Management

The Board of Directors needs to seriously reconsider who they have put at the helm of this company and the executives should note how tired, underpaid, overworked, and unhappy their hardworking employees are.

Interesting culture

Current Employee - Software Tester in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Tester in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great agile working environment. Cross team organization is good. Very diverse workplace.

Cons

Be ready to fight for your ideas and have solid ground to stand on.

9. Employee-oriented company

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

When dealing with lower to senior management, you can expect to be treated as a person. Throughout the year, Overstock hosts events, concerts and team-building activities to make sure we play as hard as we work. In all the years I've worked here, I've never been bored with my job. You can always count on new challenges that will test your innovation and creativeness. I started at OS because I needed a job, but am happy to say I've found a great career path.

Cons

They pay may not be what you can make at some other companies; however, there's a whole world of benefits here that you won't find anywhere else.

Advice to Management

As Overstock continues to grow, please don't loose the small-business vibe of feeling that you're part of a tight-knit family.

Escape From Overstock

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I would have said the employees, but at the rate people are high-tailing it out of here, that is no longer the case.

Cons

Only if there was a five-alarm fire would you see a more urgent rush for the exits. I cannot believe the amount of talent that is leaving Overstock.com. It's one thing to have an executive leave every so often, maybe a few directors as well, but there has been over 20 very talented and important executives and directors leave this year alone, and it's only August! That speaks volumes. People don't just up and leave, especially if this is, as other 'reviews' state, a "Great place to build your resume and find a home! ” (which in itself, as the featured review reads in the title 'build your resume'... anyone else see the irony?) and a "Fantastic Company". All the "positive" (executive ordered) reviews on here cannot hide the great escape from Overstock, nor can they hide the fact that this place is simply dry kindling and the current president likes to play with matches.

Advice to Management

Elvis Presley's final words before his death were to his fiance, where he said, "I'm going to the bathroom to read." I can only hope we are not "going to the bathroom to read".

Front End Developer

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair Benefits, Growing Company, Co-workers, Company Parties, Location.

Cons

Company's understanding of AGILE, fourth quarter stress, officepolitics/change and turn over.

Advice to Management

We often lose great managers and directors for weird reasons. Keeping these leaders who inspire hard work and trust in the expertise of those in their fields is lost here. Stronger retention of these leaders and other strong performing employees would make Overstock exceptional.

RSS Feed </> Embed