Overstock.com Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.5

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here (in 28 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management (in 29 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of opportunities

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're able to work hard and be a self starter there are lots of opportunities to get involved and improve your career. Your coworkers are awesome to work with. Benefits are good, recently moved to a 100% match up to 6% on the 401k, vesting immediately.

Cons

In can be an ad hoc, fire drill environment. Things can be really hectic. Company priorities, goals seems to change every 6 months. The vision/goal of the company isn't always clear

I wish management was easier to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some great people work here. There are some smart and easy to get along with developers here. A number of cool projects. I've been on teams with very bright developers, but there are strong personalities that stop innovation from happening.

Cons

Horrible on-boarding process. Upper management culture is terrible. There is a pattern of bad programming encouraged rather than using up to date technologies to speed development along.
    Management is unqualified to judge technical ability but routinely treats people with moderate programming skills as if they're gods just because they have strong personalities.

Stop acting like you're doing your employees a favor by letting them work for you. Encourage people to start using industry standard technologies rather than home growing everything just because we can.

Great coworkers, toxic management

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overstock employs some of the best, brightest people in the entry to middle-management positions. While working at Overstock I made several lasting friendships and met so many great people. Overstock is a great stepping stone job.

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant like I never imagined possible. There are a handful of people who make the decisions for the company and getting on their good side is the only way to move up in the company. However, even that doesn't guarantee longevity. If you stop being a yes-man or fail to execute something in a way that the exec had in mind with little to no guidance or explanation given then chances are they'll find a reason to fire you. "Make it work or your fired" without clarification on what "it" is was a common management tactic. Which is a shame, because it could be an amazing place to work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice Corporaton

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Cares about employees. Up to date on technology.

Cons

Located in Salt Lake City. Not much activity during winter.

Great Company

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work-life balance, office culture, location

Cons

nothing much to say here. Maybe more perks and sick days off

Good company for starting a career

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Great opportunities to entry level and gain experience in a plethora of different job functions. Fast moving environment, dynamic industry. Provides opportunities to be creative and fosters personal growth.

Cons

Changes direction seemingly with little consideration to current initiatives. Salary is low compared to other relevant competition.

Overall, not a bad place to be employed at

Current Employee - Frontline Customer Care  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Frontline Customer Care in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

We all go to work to earn a paycheck and that's definitely my number one pro for Overstock since the starting wage is more than the ending wage at my last job where I was in management and worked for four years . Most days, I can honestly say that I enjoy going to work and being in the frontline customer care team. I have options to actually help customers, at least the reasonable ones, and to "do the right thing". The company also has lots of fun things that help your attitude towards work. Examples: Lagoon Day, their OUniversity resources, polls to employees to give you the impression your opinion matters.

Cons

For me, the biggest con has been noticing that it's more of who you know than your actual abilities to be able to move around to other departments. It's caused me to wonder whether I want to actually work here long term. The company's requirements to "tier up" and gain additional tools to help your daily job are also a bit ridiculous. I was able to get to their tier 2 within a few months of being on the floor, which made me feel great about myself & work abilities. But since then I've been a few percentages off from their stat requirements to go to tier 3, making me feel "stuck" and not able to progress, despite trying my best to help customers and follow proper procedures. On top on this, the company's Internal Knowledge Base (IKB) is seriously outdated and could use a makeover - unlike other company websites that are rarely used that have undergone recent makeovers.

I love the vibe given at stand ups of every employee counting and working together. However, the daily grind isn't really like that. There's a lack of communication between departments (at least from my perspective in frontline where backline reps seem annoyed at questions or request for help with customers), resources (IKB) that I use daily are outdated, and the obvious favoritism through out the company is a real bummer.

Quick overturn

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Good company morale, they tend to hire within.

Cons

Quick overturn in all departments

Pretty great for the right person...

Current Employee - Apparel Photographer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Apparel Photographer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid back environment, hippie executives, great 401k, Positive work environment, Mostly good management.

Cons

Poor personal politics that drag down the team, plateau quickly, Some lazy people in high positions with bad attitudes.

Make decisions based on what is best for the company, not based on personal politics, These bad decisions bring down the entire team and drive hard workers away because we feel like we have to just quit caring / working hard in order to be happy here. This is why I am leaving, so I can go to a company who reward hard work rather than tell me to care less in order to be keep underachievers on the team happy.

Overall really good place to work

Current Employee - Buyer's Assistant  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Buyer's Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Promote from within and really cultivate employees to move up in the company and reach their true potential. Relaxed attire.

Cons

Open format work environment. Almost everyone sits in a room of 10-15 other people, which may be stressful and/or distracting for certain personalities.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!