Overstock.com Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
450 reviews filtered by

Former good place to work now a complete dump.

Current Employee - Customer Care Team Lead in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Care Team Lead in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Friends aND building has a bathroom and a heater.

Cons

when I started at Overstock it was amazing-benefits were excellent, helpfulness of the team leads etc. But, I have to say that in the last 3-4 months we have lost 50% of our team leads, have a complete change over of supervisors and managers and the turnover has gone from super low to over 50%. In the last 3 months of this year about half of our staff have either quit or been 'fired' for things that are actually part of our processes.

At one time I would have recommended overstock to anyone but no longer. Most of my coworkers were job hunting (I had several of them tell me of places to job hunt that I would never have considered). I will NO longer work for overstock, use their services, purchase items from them and will never say anything good about them ever again. It's amazing-they went from being a terrific company to work for to a company I can no longer say anything good about.

Good luck if you go to work for them.

Advice to Management

Stop firing and making those on my team and other teams leave for better jobs. Sucks being a team lead and watching employee morale go down the toilet cause the company is going down the drain. Me and several other team leads are searching and having job interviews on our days off.

I loved my job

Former Employee - Communications Associate
    Former Employee - Communications Associate

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees are great. You become friends easily with people and there's room for moving around in the company.
    Some positions have flexible hours.

Cons

There is extreme nepotism. The upper management hires their friends in the company or promotes them first. If one person doesn't like you, you will be fired quickly.
    They tend to keep the wrong people. If you suck up to the management and laugh at their jokes, you're more likely to stay even if you do no work.
    They don't mind drugs because they're so busy trying to be 'trendy' and 'hip' but I guess depending on how you look at it, that could be a good thing.
    Don't expect a raise. They always make up excuses to not giving one. I was there over a year, but since I changed departments, I wasn't eligible for a raise since I wasn't in that position for 6 months once they gave raises out.
    They baby the upper management.
    They say they want everyone to think outside of the box, but if you do, you will be fired. They are very strict in the way they work and don't like change.
    I was helping with a project once and the comms uppers said "this will be great for your portfolio when you leave the company or find a new job." Since I wasn't looking for a new job, I had a strange feeling that he probably meant when I get fired, which I was with no warning 2 weeks later.
    Don't offer to help with more than your job because they will scrutinize you and blame you for things that aren't your control and managers will throw you under the bus if the project you volunteered for doesn't work out.

Advice to Management

Stop making your friends bosses. They aren't qualified and it shows. Your structure is a joke.

Complete Mess

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I learned how senior management should not act. After going through this terrible experience I made great relationships with those who went through it with me.

Cons

Many employees compare employment at Overstock to an abusive relationship: senior management promises that they will treat the employees better, but it never happens. In one year there was 80% turnover in my department (marketing).
    A friend of mine spent 80 hours working over Thanksgiving weekend because upper management decided to change strategies the day before.
    I did not receive a bonus or raise because one of the directors spread lies about me. In the 5 years I was there, I had eight different VP's - seven of them were fired when I quit. The eighth one was fired 6 months after I left.
    Another friend of mine found that items were going missing from photo and commercial shoots. He went to his boss, who started an investigation. When the branding manager found out, she had the VP put an end to the investigation, and tried to get my friend fired.
    I could go on with many more experiences similar to this that happened to a friend or I.

Advice to Management

The culture has to change. If an employee stands out too much, they get cut down. From the top down, everyone is practicing CYA and throwing other people under the bus. You say that you don't put up with egos or politics, but you all have the biggest egos.

Good people/learning opportunities

Former Employee - Front End Software Tester in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Front End Software Tester in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great employees. Very intelligent software engineers. Beautiful location (Old Mill). Constant learning/training opportunities for techies. They let you take the initiative if you want to. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Upper management is uncomfortably political. Compensation is below industry standard. Health benefits & bonuses were lowered recently. Difficult to advance in career.

Advice to Management

Leave politics at home. Pay employees better.

“It was fun at the beginning, but it got worse as time went on. Also full of empty promises.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing is coworkers. Fun people but you'll see all your friends get fired if management doesn't like them.

Cons

Absolutely no job security what so ever. the company is so mismanaged and will call you into an office and yell and swear at you for any thing.

Advice to Management

they are clueless. How this place hasn't gone under is a miracle. Pay your employees a liveable wage so we don't have to work a 2nd job.

Excellent work life balance

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Work Life Balance
    Ample Learning opportunities

Cons

As of now, I don't see any issues working here

Advice to Management

NONE

Company Going Downhill

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

Great opportunities, good people to work with.

Cons

Iffy Management. Nepotism. The wrong people are leading.

Advice to Management

Stop trying so hard to be "trendy" with regards to company culture.

Overstock.com Response

Feb 28, 2015CEO

What some people here call "trendy" we call, "not homogeneous." And yes, I have noticed that aggressively breaking up pockets of homogeneity has discomfited some.

A mixed bag.

Current Employee - Copywriter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Copywriter in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

The best thing about working at Overstock are the friends you'll make. Lots of interesting, genuine people with varied interests. Many teams feel like families and many of my dear friends are former Overstock coworkers. I also appreciate that they take chances on good people and big ideas. And the company overall is progressive, tolerant, and multicultural.

Cons

There is very little structure within the departments. Groups and whole departments are restructured several times a year. In five years there, I had 13 different desk locations, 8 different directors, and 7 different managers. At the time of my termination, I didn't have a manager or directors. I didn't have a job description or general process guidelines. Turnover is painfully high.

Advice to Management

The instability throughout the company (constant desk shuffling, new creative directors every few months) is contributing to a gigantic morale problem (people are constantly scared).

Worst place ever!

Former Employee - CS Frontline
    Former Employee - CS Frontline

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I did meet some pretty cool new people. Training was pretty fun but it was ALL downhill from there!

Cons

You have to either sleep with, party with, or smoke weed with upper management to get anywhere above frontline customer service. They say it is not about the amount of calls you take, but then they make you stay after your scheduled shift to "catch up" to where they want you to be. Management and Leads want you to make really good notes about what you did and also send a follow up email to each customer but then they yell at you 30 seconds after you get off a call to get back on the phones. They treat you like you are 5 years old and they are your babysitter always watching what you do, making sure you are back early from your lunches and breaks. They give you a few holidays that are paid but then they make you work on your regularly scheduled day off which really sucks when you have kids and no babysitter for those days!

Advice to Management

Stop the nepotism. Your boss should NOT be your husband! Pay attention to those that work hard, promote them! Raise the salary, the pay sucks for all of the crap employees have to take on frontline.

Overstock.com Response

Feb 28, 2015CEO

Wow. I wish someone had told me. It sounds like I have been really missing out.

Good place to work right at of college until you figure out that Management has lots of problems

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As has been mentioned in other real reviews, work/life balance is generally good

The people you work with (not Management) are fun and passionate

If you are lucky enough to work under a good manager life can be pretty good

Cons

Upper Management has no clue how to grow a billion dollar company. How they manage this site is a great example of that. They are constantly worried about their image and try to manage it. For example:

- They have their sycophant underlings post positive reviews to bring up their scores. At least half of the positive reviews on this site are of that nature
    - They constantly remind employees in company standups how great the company is and encourage them to post positive reviews here. I guess if you repeat a lie often enough people will believe it??
    - They respond to negative reviews here by blaming the reviewers. (Why is the CEO answering posts on Glassdoor?? How about managing the Company instead)

You don't make a company a good place to work by managing your image. You make it a good place to work by what you do each day, how you treat your employees and how you improve your company. The fact that Management obsesses over this site instead of doing their real job should tell you everything you need to know about how much they focus on the wrong things.

Because "loyalty" to the CEO or President is more important then skill most of upper Management is just plain incompetent in their business areas. This is very frustrating for regular employees because you constantly have to work with people that have no idea how areas like Marketing, Merchandizing, etc should really be run. Regular employees keep things running but with the mounting frustration of having to constantly manage the people above you it wears on their moral and eventually they leave. They have had a huge exodus of really bright, competent people the last couple of years.

Money is constantly wasted on pet projects by the CEO or President. The company has been stuck at about the same level for years, not because the employees don't do their jobs but because they are often working on projects that don't grow the company. All the big projects in the last few years have not really made the company any money. People don't like working on projects that seem of little to no value except to gain approval from the CEO or President.

Advice to Management

I would say fire yourselves or sell the company and get someone in that knows how to run a company. I could list out a ton of great advice but management is so delusional that they would just ignore it. The problem with Overstock has been and will always be those at the very top. Unless that changes I wouldn't expect anything to improve.