Overstock.com

Updated December 12, 2014
3.5

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here (in 32 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management (in 31 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, great benefits.

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Easy going atmosphere, but people are serious about doing a great job. Easy to set your own schedule, as long as you get your stuff done everyone was happy. Good team atmosphere and people are very caring.

Cons

Pay was good but not great. If you don't like foul language you might be offended daily depending on the team you are on. Some of the upper management seemed unstable.

Keep up the great benefits.

Good opportunities, good benefits, good company overall to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Good flexible work environment, good benefits, fair compensation, challenging work, good opportunities to move around in the company. Overall a good company to work for.

Cons

Many competing and changing priorities. Some of this is warranted given the nature of online business but this could be managed better.

Company needs an overall strategic focus.

Great experience

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

I love the people at Overstock.com.

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Too much firefighting

Former Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Occasionally they will spring for a pizza party or similar lunch. To compensate for 60 hour weeks.

Cons

Where is the long term strategic planning to match up with day to day operations? This place is always changing, there is a real lack of fire prevention activities.

Lay off the 'social conscience' stuff as it creates a hostile work environment, regardless of the "it's for a good cause' aspect.

Great employees

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

Worked with very great individuals

Cons

Overstock owners were not organized

I enjoyed a very organized and effective training program. I achieved 90% Quality Satisfaction and was promoted quickly.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Table Tennis at SLC headquarters. A very large friendly team, fun games and prizes, excellent training, company ethics, great brand reputation, great customers, upper management was supportive, encouraging and available, CEO, Patrick Byrne is cool and inspiring. He threw a large party for us, good pay, and great work environment.

Cons

The location in Salt Lake City is quite bland, very strict and timely regarding clocking in and out for breaks and such. You spend a lot of time with your co workers so I remember clashing with one of supervisors and it led to me quitting the company.

Upper management is doing great. Thanks for making it a safe, healthy and prosperous environment.

Not a great experience

Former Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overstock can be a fun place to work, if not a bit juvenile. Schedules can be flexible and facilities are nice.

Cons

Although I honestly believe this company is run by people with good intentions, there is no organization or sense of direction. The CEO is a great man whom deserves respect as he truly cares for his company but the company has a very poor structure. There are way too many departments and managers. There is no consistency in the management of each department. Some managers are too laid back and unproductive while others (the majority) take themselves much, much too seriously. I think the folks in upper management would be surprised to hear what gets said about all those VPs and Directors in addition to what one Director may say about another, it's really uncomfortable to be around. To all those Directors and VP's, it's not a competition so pull back a little. To be successful there means you have to enjoy working in an environment where there is no or very little training, no follow up unless the wheels fall off and no real sense of direction. What is important today may very well be replaced tomorrow which will result in a whole new set of marching orders. If you like to work where there is a common vision and a sense that everyone is working to a single goal, don't work there. If you want even a minimal amount of organization, look elsewhere because it does not exists at Overstock. Bottom line, you can do better than working at Overstock. Lots of glitter, very little substance.

I've been away for a couple months now so my comments have most likely been tempered by time.

Thin the management herd a little and make them understand it's not a competition between departments to see who gets the most attention.

A lot of promise without much action

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good flexible company. Relaxed but challenging environment. Interesting work.

Cons

There's always the promise of more this, better that, etc but yet rarely does any of it ever happen.

The best work environment in Utah.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Real and tangible opportunities for growth that are not just hot air. They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting. I have worked at other call centers and nothing compares to it. I think what I like best is how management is continually working to improve job satisfaction and benefits. They just did a complete overhaul to our benefits and it was amazing.

Cons

Your schedule changes according to call volume and that can be incredibly annoying.

Keep doing what you are doing! I love how customer and employee centric the company is.

Software Architect

Former Employee - Software Architect in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very interesting technical challenges.
    Good pay but the benefits are not on-par with other companies of the same size.

Cons

There had been a constant tech brain drain during 2013 and the new hires are not bumping up the IQ.

There were a lot cynicism and distrust floating around. It might be a good a good idea to work on team morale and hire more capable tech management.