Overstock.com Reviews

Reset

Senior Demand Management Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Demand Management Analyst in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Demand Management Analyst in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with my co-workers, analyzing data, and building tools in Excel to make work easier. I enjoy the atmosphere and flexible hours to work here

Cons

Work life balance started out great, but they are starting to put more and more on us and sometimes it is harder to balance it.

Advice to Management

Overall my management is good. We get along and they can come to me if they have questions.

Amazing Employees - Terrible Senior Leadership

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

The people are some of the best i've ever worked with - smart, hardworking, collaborative and just generally fun.

Cons

The office politics are out of this world. It feels like high school. So much drama, with a total "in crowd" feeling among the executive team. If you're not adored by one of the execs, you're probably not going to move up in the company. If you say the wrong thing to one of them, you're out.

HUGE impactful company decisions are made on a whim, and the employees are left to scramble and pick up the pieces. The majority of employees work REALLY hard and aren't recognized for that effort, or paid competitively, for that matter.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the amazing work ALL of your employees are doing, not just the two or three that you have on a pedestal. Stop using fear-based management techniques. You're never going to get a truly collaborative and innovative work environment if your employees are afraid to bring forth their ideas or disagree with your outrageously outlandish ones.

It

Current Employee - Data Content Analyst Lead in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Content Analyst Lead in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. The CEO is the coolest in the biz. Benefits are awesome.

Cons

One word - nepotism. Friends hire friends. You may apply and not even get an interview or a response.

Advice to Management

To much nepotism with friends hiring friends instead of people getting the job due to their merit.

Soon to be ex-employee

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Good location
    Great co-workers, but don't get attached, most are not around long

Cons

Read through the reviews on Glassdoor carefully and with an eye to those with details and examples. They are the truth and the others (with high ratings) are posted by the executive team.

There are career opportunities here, but that is only because the employee retention rate is so poor. To illustrate look how many jobs are posted here .. over 60, but those are all on hold now anyway and they are not hiring.

Advice to Management

Let Managers and Directors lead the teams, remove the President from virtually every engagement with employees, she is a bully and is irrational. No employee (good or bad) deserves to be treated the way that she treats people.
    Determine a strategy for a year (a month, or a week for heavens sake ) and drive toward it. Allow your teams to deliver before you change direction again or insert a whim that derails everything that they have been working hard toward.
    Develop a strategy about where Overstock is headed, pet projects are great but if the company does not have any idea who it wants to be when it grows up or what the value proposition is.. it is doomed.
    Smarter, more nimble, more technologically sound companies have already passed you buy, you were first once perhaps, but that was over a decade ago.

The company culture is not what it used to be

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative LTL in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative LTL in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy this job because of the opportunities that are available. I remember in training were always told about the fun nature of the company and that it's the happy employees that equal the success of overstock. We have fun things, like tie dye this week, but unfortunately there's no way I will be able to participate because of my work load. My department is tiny but we have the most work out of everyone. I'm a part of this group because I work very hard.

Cons

I feel like the people in my department are under paid for doing 3xs as much work. Management wonders why the moral in my department is often low, well we have tons of work, not enough employees to do it and then we get in trouble because we are so behind. I feel this is an uphill battle with no end in site.

Advice to Management

We keep asking for more people and it sounds like we may be getting a few next month, but I'm confident it won't be enough. I also think we should all be reviewed for a raise. The amount of work that is being asked of us will be more likely get done with added incentives :-)

Merchandise Manager

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and a breath of fresh air

Cons

Only the cons that you create

Linux Website Administrator

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Good place to learn, IT is a great place to learn. You have competent leadership in IT don't know about other parts, but I've hear some horror stories as well as a few good ones. Open atmosphere (as long as you're not "being watched".

Cons

Upper management, current pay, bonuses, budget cuts, "silent whistle" does nothing to certain people who really need to be disciplined. IT (not development), is extremely underpaid. There are a few people who have "worked" their way up the company who should definitely not be there, and are actually costing the company more than helping it. Marketing costs the company far too much and has even taken our company out of the "green" for the end of the year, and put us in the "red"...very bad.

Advice to Management

Your IT (NOT development, they're constantly awarded and patted on the back already) is the heart of the company, you need to treat us better. The website cannot possibly be kept up by a single person, there must be many, and we are still very short in this department. Of course the last, but certainly not the least, is pay...we aren't getting paid anywhere near what we should be making, and that needs to change soon.

Systems Engineer

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Very competitive but fun environment to work.

Cons

Can't think of significant cons work wise, but SLC gets real cold.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the niche area that Overstock can excel in.

great place to work. awesome people

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Great people to work for. Great environment

Cons

Don't get on the wrong list.

Not worth it

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

I met some amazing people

Cons

You are overworked, under appreciated, under paid, and pretty much beaten down until you lose all of your spirit. Unless of course you work in customer service, then the President will do everything in her power to pamper you and make the rest of the company feel as though they suc

Advice to Management

President, quit trying to be friends with everyone. We don't care. Quit wasting your time coming up with extra crap for us to do, like hat day and basketball day. And seriously, quit wasting money on stuff like (12) 9 foot Christmas trees. You put pictures up that say be unique and then you want to force us all to conform. Get over yourself

RSS Feed </> Embed