Overstock.com

Updated January 11, 2015
3.5

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here (in 32 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management (in 31 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a great experience

Former Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overstock can be a fun place to work, if not a bit juvenile. Schedules can be flexible and facilities are nice.

Cons

Although I honestly believe this company is run by people with good intentions, there is no organization or sense of direction. The CEO is a great man whom deserves respect as he truly cares for his company but the company has a very poor structure. There are way too many departments and managers. There is no consistency in the management of each department. Some managers are too laid back and unproductive while others (the majority) take themselves much, much too seriously. I think the folks in upper management would be surprised to hear what gets said about all those VPs and Directors in addition to what one Director may say about another, it's really uncomfortable to be around. To all those Directors and VP's, it's not a competition so pull back a little. To be successful there means you have to enjoy working in an environment where there is no or very little training, no follow up unless the wheels fall off and no real sense of direction. What is important today may very well be replaced tomorrow which will result in a whole new set of marching orders. If you like to work where there is a common vision and a sense that everyone is working to a single goal, don't work there. If you want even a minimal amount of organization, look elsewhere because it does not exists at Overstock. Bottom line, you can do better than working at Overstock. Lots of glitter, very little substance.

I've been away for a couple months now so my comments have most likely been tempered by time.

Thin the management herd a little and make them understand it's not a competition between departments to see who gets the most attention.

The best work environment in Utah.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Real and tangible opportunities for growth that are not just hot air. They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting. I have worked at other call centers and nothing compares to it. I think what I like best is how management is continually working to improve job satisfaction and benefits. They just did a complete overhaul to our benefits and it was amazing.

Cons

Your schedule changes according to call volume and that can be incredibly annoying.

Keep doing what you are doing! I love how customer and employee centric the company is.

Software Architect

Former Employee - Software Architect in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very interesting technical challenges.
    Good pay but the benefits are not on-par with other companies of the same size.

Cons

There had been a constant tech brain drain during 2013 and the new hires are not bumping up the IQ.

There were a lot cynicism and distrust floating around. It might be a good a good idea to work on team morale and hire more capable tech management.

A Place Where You Can Change Your Life.

Current Employee - Team Lead in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Team Lead in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is no glass ceiling. Diversity is encouraged. Excellence is rewarded. While some areas of the company have obvious requirements for a specific role (you should have a law degree to be a lawyer) you can move very far simply by being a motivated, business-savvy person. General quality of life is very good.

Cons

Everyone is really friendly and teams intermingle. It can lead to or at least give the appearance of nepotism. If you know the right person and you've developed a relationship with them and they are able to help you move up, how is that any different than networking. I don't think unqualified people are moving up. But I do feel it impacts the decisions when you are deciding which of a couple people you're going to take a chance on.

Just keep doing what you're doing. I've found that people's attitudes are what make their experience at Overstock.com a positive one or a negative one.

A lot of promise without much action

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good flexible company. Relaxed but challenging environment. Interesting work.

Cons

There's always the promise of more this, better that, etc but yet rarely does any of it ever happen.

Executive Personal agenda = Corporate agenda

Current Employee - Team Lead in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Overstock has a high tech iq. We also get to work on interesting problems and projects. The pay and work life balance is good, benefits are a little lacking, but overall not too bad.

Cons

The largest con for Overstock in my book is the Corporate LGBT agenda that is be pushed by the executives and our hr department. This topic should be a private and personal topic. Not a Corporate agenda that alienates and divides the workforce.

Keep your personal agendas out of the boardroom.

Great overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair compensation, brilliant IT people, great opportunities for growth. Location is amazing. Projects move quickly and credit is usually given where due.

Cons

Questionable ethics and poor (emotional) decisions by sr. management.

Stop forcing employees to listen to political diatribes. It's illegal and in poor taste. Stop firing talented people for silly reasons. Stop being so paranoid.

Great coworkers, toxic management

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overstock employs some of the best, brightest people in the entry to middle-management positions. While working at Overstock I made several lasting friendships and met so many great people. Overstock is a great stepping stone job.

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant like I never imagined possible. There are a handful of people who make the decisions for the company and getting on their good side is the only way to move up in the company. However, even that doesn't guarantee longevity. If you stop being a yes-man or fail to execute something in a way that the exec had in mind with little to no guidance or explanation given then chances are they'll find a reason to fire you. "Make it work or your fired" without clarification on what "it" is was a common management tactic. Which is a shame, because it could be an amazing place to work.

I wish management was easier to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some great people work here. There are some smart and easy to get along with developers here. A number of cool projects. I've been on teams with very bright developers, but there are strong personalities that stop innovation from happening.

Cons

Horrible on-boarding process. Upper management culture is terrible. There is a pattern of bad programming encouraged rather than using up to date technologies to speed development along.
    Management is unqualified to judge technical ability but routinely treats people with moderate programming skills as if they're gods just because they have strong personalities.

Stop acting like you're doing your employees a favor by letting them work for you. Encourage people to start using industry standard technologies rather than home growing everything just because we can.

Nice Corporaton

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Cares about employees. Up to date on technology.

Cons

Located in Salt Lake City. Not much activity during winter.