Overstock.com

www.overstock.com
Employer Engaged

Great experience

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

I love the people at Overstock.com.

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Great place to learn ecommerce. Dangerous place to build a career.

Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overstock is the last of a dying breed. It is the last broad-line etailer left that makes all of its money from e-commerce. While Ebay and Amazon make most of their profits from enterprise products, Overstock soldiers along making every dollar selling sheets, shoes and DVDs. As a result, you have to be good at etail because that's all there is at Overstock. And there are / were some good employees that know it well. Working at Overstock will help you learn ecommerce inside and out.

Cons

Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business. There is a strange desire to follow a dream that will never come to fruition. Unlike Amazon's CEO, who is an engineer and a "doer", Overstock CEO is a philosopher, so majority of strategy or ideas follow the path of philosophy - words, but no clear actions. There is no real strategy, no real interest in pursuing a clear path to long-term profitability. The goal is to play in any sandbox the CEO is interested in - its a fun game for him, and he doesn't care because he has inherited hundreds of millions from his father. Executives who oppose this approach are terminated or pushed out. During my time there I saw some of the best leaders and executives walked out the door for opposing the CEO in even the most subtle ways. Pay is relatively low - it is Utah, so people are willing to take a cut to work there. Work-life balance is amazing - no reason to work hard when there is not real incentive to deliver results, or your own projects are killed. Politics are rampant - but they are easy to understand - they all center around doing exactly what the CEO and President say, no matter how inane.

Not much to say. I don't think management really cares - CEO and President have all their comp coming outside of Overstock, so driving long term profitability, value and employee satisfaction is not interesting to them.

Too much firefighting

Former Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Occasionally they will spring for a pizza party or similar lunch. To compensate for 60 hour weeks.

Cons

Where is the long term strategic planning to match up with day to day operations? This place is always changing, there is a real lack of fire prevention activities.

Lay off the 'social conscience' stuff as it creates a hostile work environment, regardless of the "it's for a good cause' aspect.

Great people, great benefits.

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Easy going atmosphere, but people are serious about doing a great job. Easy to set your own schedule, as long as you get your stuff done everyone was happy. Good team atmosphere and people are very caring.

Cons

Pay was good but not great. If you don't like foul language you might be offended daily depending on the team you are on. Some of the upper management seemed unstable.

Keep up the great benefits.

Great employees

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

Worked with very great individuals

Cons

Overstock owners were not organized

I enjoyed a very organized and effective training program. I achieved 90% Quality Satisfaction and was promoted quickly.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Table Tennis at SLC headquarters. A very large friendly team, fun games and prizes, excellent training, company ethics, great brand reputation, great customers, upper management was supportive, encouraging and available, CEO, Patrick Byrne is cool and inspiring. He threw a large party for us, good pay, and great work environment.

Cons

The location in Salt Lake City is quite bland, very strict and timely regarding clocking in and out for breaks and such. You spend a lot of time with your co workers so I remember clashing with one of supervisors and it led to me quitting the company.

Upper management is doing great. Thanks for making it a safe, healthy and prosperous environment.

Not a great experience

Former Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overstock can be a fun place to work, if not a bit juvenile. Schedules can be flexible and facilities are nice.

Cons

Although I honestly believe this company is run by people with good intentions, there is no organization or sense of direction. The CEO is a great man whom deserves respect as he truly cares for his company but the company has a very poor structure. There are way too many departments and managers. There is no consistency in the management of each department. Some managers are too laid back and unproductive while others (the majority) take themselves much, much too seriously. I think the folks in upper management would be surprised to hear what gets said about all those VPs and Directors in addition to what one Director may say about another, it's really uncomfortable to be around. To all those Directors and VP's, it's not a competition so pull back a little. To be successful there means you have to enjoy working in an environment where there is no or very little training, no follow up unless the wheels fall off and no real sense of direction. What is important today may very well be replaced tomorrow which will result in a whole new set of marching orders. If you like to work where there is a common vision and a sense that everyone is working to a single goal, don't work there. If you want even a minimal amount of organization, look elsewhere because it does not exists at Overstock. Bottom line, you can do better than working at Overstock. Lots of glitter, very little substance.

I've been away for a couple months now so my comments have most likely been tempered by time.

Thin the management herd a little and make them understand it's not a competition between departments to see who gets the most attention.

The best work environment in Utah.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Real and tangible opportunities for growth that are not just hot air. They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting. I have worked at other call centers and nothing compares to it. I think what I like best is how management is continually working to improve job satisfaction and benefits. They just did a complete overhaul to our benefits and it was amazing.

Cons

Your schedule changes according to call volume and that can be incredibly annoying.

Keep doing what you are doing! I love how customer and employee centric the company is.

Software Architect

Former Employee - Software Architect in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very interesting technical challenges.
    Good pay but the benefits are not on-par with other companies of the same size.

Cons

There had been a constant tech brain drain during 2013 and the new hires are not bumping up the IQ.

There were a lot cynicism and distrust floating around. It might be a good a good idea to work on team morale and hire more capable tech management.

A Place Where You Can Change Your Life.

Current Employee - Team Lead in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Team Lead in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is no glass ceiling. Diversity is encouraged. Excellence is rewarded. While some areas of the company have obvious requirements for a specific role (you should have a law degree to be a lawyer) you can move very far simply by being a motivated, business-savvy person. General quality of life is very good.

Cons

Everyone is really friendly and teams intermingle. It can lead to or at least give the appearance of nepotism. If you know the right person and you've developed a relationship with them and they are able to help you move up, how is that any different than networking. I don't think unqualified people are moving up. But I do feel it impacts the decisions when you are deciding which of a couple people you're going to take a chance on.

Just keep doing what you're doing. I've found that people's attitudes are what make their experience at Overstock.com a positive one or a negative one.