Overstock.com Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

4.0

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here (in 28 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management (in 29 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Overstock.com---What's it really like?

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Overstock.com has a somewhat laid-back work environment which makes for a good work atmosphere. They seem okay with taking time off when needed for personal reasons, as long as it's not done excessively. Compensation seems to be competitive for the industry.

Cons

For a company who believes in the philosophy of 'saving paper clips', they sure like to throw money away on frivolous things, like moving entire departments around all the time, tearing down walls and rebuilding them in different configurations 'just because'. There is definitely an atmosphere of favoritism, and most definitely an atmosphere of 'blame someone else'. Go ahead and throw someone else to the wolves...don't bother to take responsibility for anything.

You have many good people working for you who are willing to give their all---Don't lose them by continuing with the status quo. Treat everyone fairly. Encourage personal responsibility. Above all, listen to your people. They're the ones on the front lines.

Opportunities to make a difference. Compensation doesn't reflect performance or responsibility.

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Good hours, mostly good people to work with, ample opportunities to make a difference and affect change, good exposure to senior managers, flexible work schedule, laid back culture, good/smart opinions are valued, young and energetic colleagues

Cons

Many people in other groups are apathetic/unwilling to put in the time to do a good job. Some of the executive management appear to lack the experience and knowledge to run a billion dollar company.

Mentor/train/promote and pay your best people and the people who actually care to make a difference. Without your top performers this company will have a difficult, it not impossible time, staying profitable.

Needs some real help . . .

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Very good about giving time off, even if there is no PTO available. The people who do regular functions for the company are fun to work with and very competent in their work.

Cons

Upper management wants it to be the best company to work for, but a lot of things will have to change before that happens. Extreme culture of nepotism and cronyism. Many cases of "failing up"; employees performing so poorly that they are moved up because no one wants to work with them, consequently, Overstock has very, very poor management. If you are educated, smart or hardworking, and want to advance in a career, avoid Overstock.com like cancer. Unless you are good friends with management, you'll never move up or get paid an appropriate wage. I could write a 1000 page book on what's wrong with this company. It goes without saying, this company will never even make the top 100 companies to work for.

Management at Overstock has a reputation and culture of not taking advice from subordinates. When they say they will, it's all lip service.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Headline

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Commitment of upper management to success, and that success includes everyone at the company
    Leadership has strong convictions
    Sense of Family and belonging
    Safe in a recession
    Family needs are carefully cared for (time off, etc)
    OUniversity and training are available and budgeted
    Some areas have conferences or trade shows they either host or attend
    Good value for customers, with a solid site and distribution system
    Length of company's existence

Cons

no walls leads to a feeling of personal space/constant distraction
    One employee's faults lead to another employee's resignation/removal/holding back on promotions
    Different divisions battle for resources and time
    Today's most important thing will be forgotten in 6 months

Last minute spending on large projects hurts the company more than it helps
    Competency is rewarded with more work, incompetence with power and promotion (not always, but most times)
    New software seems to be purchased based on dinners, and favors offered by companies instead of a thorough technical review of future needs.

A central defining voice as to what the goals of the company are in the next 10-15-20 years would help technical decisions to be more relevant.

All of these areas are improving each year, but we still have a long way to go.

Salaries @ Overstock

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

I love everything about working at Overstock except my pay rate. As long as I can receive frequent pay increases to get me up to or keep me at norms I would stay here for a long time.

Cons

I am considerably lower than industry standards for what I do. Though I love it here, it is enough to make me look for employment elsewhere. I am in software development btw.

See the pros.

Could be better, could be worse.

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Semi-decent pay, good people, good benefits, seemingly decent job security.

Cons

Did not get a raise last year and my cost of living has tripled. I've been passed over for a well deserved promotion more than once.

Please give raises to those who have worked hard to earn it.

For the most part I do love my job

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

I love what I do and I like the people I work with. Its good pay in comparison to other jobs out there.

Cons

I think upper management could be alot more supportive of customer service. Their snide remarks don't help when we are busting our ass and working over time to get stuff done is not appreciated. We're the best team there is and we get no praise.

Drop the attitudes. Don't be hypocrites.

One opinion of Overstock as a place to work.

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

With few exceptions, everyone I work with genuinely loves working here. They are all hard workers and knowledgeable concerning their job functions. Most of the people here have worked their way up and are familiar with the business processes to complete their assigned tasks. They are fair in all aspects of work.

Cons

At times it is difficult to determine just how much my contribution is valued. I don't need a consistent pat on the back but a monthly pow wow would be very helpful to assess just where I and my team mates are with management.

enforce monthly team meetings. I know some don't like them, but it's better to have all team members know where they stand in the company than to have them go about their daily duties wondering if their contribution is meaningful.

My 2 cents

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Great Salary. Easy to approach Management. If you can get to the right people they are willing to listen to your ideas. Teams are very open and work well together. Little politics around.

Cons

Headquaters are in Salt Lake City and it is difficult to attract talent to the area.
    PTO is lacking behind what other companies are offering.
    Lots of incompetent people hiding in the mix and they are difficult to remove despite providing facts.

1. Hire better trained project managers. It is a crucial role in making projects successful and very careful thought should be given as to who is given the role. Just cause someone is good at talking or is presentable does not necessarily make them good PMs.

2. Listen to Team leads more on what is important for their respective department. They are your nerve center on how the company is doing.

3. Promoting from within is important however every once in a while bring in outside talent to keep up with the industry. There are several departments that are lacking in this.

Great place to work, still lots of opportunities to make a difference

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

- Challenging and interesting work
    - Exciting, leading-edge technology
    - Wonderful people to work with
    - Very little political nonsense
    - Truly a fun place to work

Cons

- CEO is distracted
    - Unbudgeted spending
    - Management is not good at planning ahead
    - Not a lot of "gray hair" running the business

- The whole exposée on the Facebook relationships between journalists and fund managers was a complete embarrassment to Overstock. It looks like we are trying to distract people or hide something from them, and it comes off looking childish. We should be focused on running the company and staying out of the mud. "Never wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
    - Lawsuits are not a revenue stream.
    - We waste so much time, energy and money with all the moves we do around here. Build the same cubicles, offices and conference rooms on every floor. When it's time to move, the only expense will be cardboard boxes for people to carry their things to their new desk that looks exactly like the old one they just left. No more knocking down walls, running electrical, networking, and so on.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!