Overstock.com Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

It's Ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Benefits are really nice. The only benefits that have been better that I have had has been with the Military which the Benefits are free.

Cons

Work a whole bunch for the same pay as a fast food server while the Executives get paid over six digits a year.

Advice to Management

Give raises please we need to feed our families too. Do not let certain employees get away with everything because they are special.

Overstock.com company loyalty

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Stable, growing company. Very loyal teams and low turnover. The feel of the corporate office is that everyone is very devoted to their job, to the company, and very busy.

Cons

I never considered myself a workaholic before working at overstock, but I find myself working through lunches, staying late... etc. Sometimes this is a high-stress job.

Advice to Management

The leadership would be wise to listen to feedback and specific advice from the little people in the trenches. Overstock hires thinkers, and encourages them to be proactive - they could take better advantage of the creative intelligence of the underlings.

3. At work with The O

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Most of the managers i have encountered have encouraged growth within the company by sharing their knowlegde and helping their employees succeed in the tasks they have given. Overall there are very positive people in management positions who are open and helpful to the associates they are in charge of.

Cons

In my departmental transfers i have had difficult transitional periods adjusting to a head-strong individual who possesses an aggressive micro-management style but lacks the overarching grasp of his possition to assign tasks that have clear conditions in which the goals were to be achieved. Luckily, my flexibility allows a sort of middle ground where i get my job done without affecting anything adversely.

Advice to Management

Most of the managers here show a willingness to get "into the trenches" and work alongside their associates shouldering the load when days get hectic, it's very comendable to see that motivation of "do as i do", rather than managing from a chair relying solely on delegation of leg work to leads to pass information up and down the chain. And it's not just middle management, the upper echelon of leadership is not afraid to get out on the floor and work up a sweat.

5. The Best Place To Work (EVER!!)

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative S E A L in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I have been here since 10/09/2009 and have already moved up, hopefully will continue too! Love the people and it is such a great job! We stay busy but all the while have fun!

Cons

The 24/7 chat team just seems to ruin everything, they cause more problems then they solve. I'm tempt and don't know if I'll be perminate.

Advice to Management

Let me keep my job!

Pay more

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

It's a laid back company that listens to it's employees ideas.

Cons

Their pay compensation isn't anywhere near other companies. Recognition is few and far between.

Advice to Management

People only do what they are paid to do. Are you getting the work you need to keep this company in the high numbers for customer care?

My 2 cents

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great Salary. Easy to approach Management. If you can get to the right people they are willing to listen to your ideas. Teams are very open and work well together. Little politics around.

Cons

Headquaters are in Salt Lake City and it is difficult to attract talent to the area. PTO is lacking behind what other companies are offering. Lots of incompetent people hiding in the mix and they are difficult to remove despite providing facts.

Advice to Management

1. Hire better trained project managers. It is a crucial role in making projects successful and very careful thought should be given as to who is given the role. Just cause someone is good at talking or is presentable does not necessarily make them good PMs. 2. Listen to Team leads more on what is important for their respective department. They are your nerve center on how the company is doing. 3. Promoting from within is important however every once in a while bring in outside talent to keep up with the industry. There are several departments that are lacking in this.

Great place to work, still lots of opportunities to make a difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

- Challenging and interesting work - Exciting, leading-edge technology - Wonderful people to work with - Very little political nonsense - Truly a fun place to work

Cons

- CEO is distracted - Unbudgeted spending - Management is not good at planning ahead - Not a lot of "gray hair" running the business

Advice to Management

- The whole exposée on the Facebook relationships between journalists and fund managers was a complete embarrassment to Overstock. It looks like we are trying to distract people or hide something from them, and it comes off looking childish. We should be focused on running the company and staying out of the mud. "Never wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw - Lawsuits are not a revenue stream. - We waste so much time, energy and money with all the moves we do around here. Build the same cubicles, offices and conference rooms on every floor. When it's time to move, the only expense will be cardboard boxes for people to carry their things to their new desk that looks exactly like the old one they just left. No more knocking down walls, running electrical, networking, and so on.

Opportunities to make a difference. Compensation doesn't reflect performance or responsibility.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Good hours, mostly good people to work with, ample opportunities to make a difference and affect change, good exposure to senior managers, flexible work schedule, laid back culture, good/smart opinions are valued, young and energetic colleagues

Cons

Many people in other groups are apathetic/unwilling to put in the time to do a good job. Some of the executive management appear to lack the experience and knowledge to run a billion dollar company.

Advice to Management

Mentor/train/promote and pay your best people and the people who actually care to make a difference. Without your top performers this company will have a difficult, it not impossible time, staying profitable.

10. Overstock ROCKS!!!

Current Employee - LTL Department Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - LTL Department Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Patrick Byrne is one of the most caring, Knowledgeable people I have ever worked for. I feel that this company actually cares and acknowledges the fact that I have a family, and Family comes first.

Cons

MORE LOCATIONS! Other than that, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

There is no advice I feel I can give at this time. The company I work for is the BEST and I never want to work anywhere else. I hope to move up in the company when I graduate with a business degree. WOOT WOOT!

11. I am proud to work at Overstock.com.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great and fun environment. Good benefits. Great people. Exciting opportunities. Company pride.

Cons

Too stressful at times. Low pay for some positions. Politics.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

RSS Feed </> Embed