Overstock.com Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.0

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here (in 30 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management (in 30 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great to work here

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Great work environment. Supports learning, education, and interest in community and family.

Cons

Pay and bonuses are unequal between different stores even though workload is similar.

Need a more clear and extended goal for each department and stick to it!

Great department GREAT company I love how respected I am and I LOVE to shop here too!!

Current Employee - Distribution Department  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Distribution Department in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

I love the hours I work and i love my pay rate. I love not working the weekends. I really love this job it's the BEST job I've ever had!! I always brag about how much I love my job cause I really do :) I love coming to work every day it's great when you have a job you truly love to do!

Cons

My supervisor is great but she micro manages alot and that can be annoying. But she's great other than that, and I REALLY do love working here!

Great management happy with overall performance!!

Overstock.com is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Cutomer Care Agent  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Cutomer Care Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Open, very even handed communication between staff and management. Personal issues are considered in every aspect: no rules are unbendable, but the fact that an employee is a person with a real life is always factored in.

Cons

There is a certain amount of high schoolish popularity contest that seems to go along with the youth of this company. Advancements and opportunities seem to be reliant as much on how fun and personable someone is as much as how much actual effort they put into doing a job well. Also, decisions are made about perks--activities and recreational items, by a small select group rather than a majority agreement.

Management would do well to pay attention to the little guy--the people who do the dirty work of the actual customer contact. It seems that all of the perks and praise are alloted in the trickle down method, and we just get to hear about rewards and advancement. The employee of the month should be someone who answers the phone, not one of the people who monitors and assesses that work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glad to be here.

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Overall, a healthy corporate culture.
    Good technology--no career stagnation here.
    Life-work balance.
    OSTK is a good corporate citizen.
    OSTK is not a sinking ship; there is hope for my future here.
    Good teamwork.
    Approachable management.
    Problems get solved quickly; roadblocks get removed.
    No entrenched institutional incompetence; bumbling bureaucrats are not a protected class.
    Agile development environment means we DELIVER; we get stuff done.
    OSTK treats its customers well--I'm proud to be a part of that.

Cons

Though agile works well here, and I actively support it, there are disadvantages. The environment can get loud. Distractions and interruptions must be managed.

Actively distinguish between the hard-working vs. those just skating by. If you don't, it's a complete sham. And it undercuts your own ability to lead in the future. If you have a hard working committed team mate beside one who's just punching the clock so to speak, and you treat them as equals, that is shameful (and it's really demotivating).

Overstock is the best company I've worked for

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Great Culture
    Flexible when it comes to family time.
    Opportunity for advancement

Cons

Sometimes things are run "by the seat of our pants" not always a clear direction of what is expected in some areas.

Please consider that health benefits are of utmost importance to most of us. Please do not reduce coverage and please consider extending benefits to partners/spouses in nontraditional relationships.

Overstock Review

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Overstock is a very employee friendly company. Their benefits and salary are awesome. There is so muc opportunity for growth and career advancement. The benefits are very good as well.

Cons

There are only a couple downfalls. It's very hard to get your scheduled shift changed permanently. The flexibility of scheduling is a little sketchy at times.

I would say make scheduling just a little more flexible.

Love going to work EVERY day!

Current Employee - Assistant  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

The best reason to work at Overstock.com is having the opportunity to know and learn from some of the country’s greatest leaders/executives

Cons

Living in SLC in the cold.

At this time I do not have any.

Overall, Overstock.com is a wonderful place to work. I am very happy with my job.

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Various training opportunities. Very nice people and a strong working environment. Upper management is understanding and is great to work with. Work load is challenging but rewarding. Always something new to figure out and many career building opportunities.

Cons

The pay is lower than expected.

Upper management is very understanding and encouraging.

A different company to work for--in a good way!

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Work/Life balance is good. Management treats employees as resources. They generally weed out the back-stabbing jerks that many companies promote. There is a good sense of "we're all in this together" that I find refreshing. Overall, it is a professional environment that rewards you for your contribution to the team.

Cons

Due to the quickly changing nature of retail sales, projects are sometimes delayed or discarded because a higher-priority request displaces it. It keeps things interesting, but it can also be frustrating to not complete projects that you have invested a lot of time. It's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

I would like to hear more about the annual goals of the company and how we are measuring up to those goals. I understand that some marketing aspects need to be confidential, but a little more visibility into some of the plans would be nice to know.

OSTK is a great place to work.

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

The employees are hard working and good people. Management rewards employees based on merit. I like working with my colleagues.

Cons

The company should focus on growing the business as much as it can, while making sure that it is profitable.

Continue to hold stand-ups to provide information to the company. Consider holding them in smaller groups to encourage more questions.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!