Overstock.com

Updated January 9, 2015
3.5

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here (in 32 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management (in 31 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

315 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun company.

Current Employee - Csr3 in Tooele, UT
    Current Employee - Csr3 in Tooele, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Close to home. Decent pay.

Cons

No attendance policy in place.

Don't lose sight of the individual as growth occurs.

Glad I no longer work there

Former Employee - Product Care in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Product Care in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good flexibility with hours, co-workers are all really great people, and direct supervisors are great to work with.

Cons

The pay is ridiculously low, and one of my co-workers who is a hard worker from what I've seen told me she didn't get a raise for 4 years, which just goes to show that employees (at least in my department) are not taken seriously or appreciated. The manager of my entire department even admitted that everyone is underpaid. The PTO plan is not competitive, and there seems to be a very high turnover rate. Upper management will do things like announce that they made 25 million dollars on Black Friday with the help of everyone working hard and staying late if necessary, and then in the weeks following, which are less busy, they will say that they want people to go home early (without pay or they can use their PTO) to save the company money. That just doesn't seem right to me. If you are hired to work full-time, you should be able to work full-time every week of the year, not get your hours slashed because of holiday circumstances. The CEO and president seem to have a weird relationship, hugging and kissing at company events etc.. It just doesn't seem professional. I've also heard stories from other departments that upper management (particularly the president) will fire people based on their own personal whim and not because the employee was inadequate or did anything wrong. Perhaps they had some productive criticism that wasn't taken well. To sum it up, upper management seems egotistical and doesn't seem to care much for the employees that work hard for this company. I received another opportunity and was happy to leave.

The employees at overstock are not just there for your own personal benefit. Treat them with respect and I guarantee people would stick around a lot longer and speak highly of the company. Also, act more professional and you will be taken more seriously. As of now, everyone I am friends with that has/does worked there did not have great things to say.

Not a Netflix or Amazon or Facebook

Current Employee - Technology in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Technology in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work/life balance, interesting projects motivated more by making the world a better place and less by $$, charismatic CEO

Cons

immature program management (project prioritization, measurable success metrics), brittle architecture and absence of design phase in software development, serial business processes, lack of trusted data to run the business, poor collaboration between business & IT, senior leadership advancement based on loyalty to company instead of comprehensive work experience (just look at their LinkedIn profiles)

- instead of trying to superficially emulate the companies you aspire to be, hire and listen to talent who have been there
    - embrace reality by fixing the engine instead of re-skinning with a shiny exterior
    - allow technology and business leaders to jointly contribute to program/project management (ROI analyses, how to build it, the time it will take)
    - evangelize enterprise architecture that is the hallmark of innovative technology companies well down the CMM path instead of shoveling "tech debt" under the rug
    - surround yourself with brilliant people instead of just "smart" people (it's all relative)

political nightmare

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

fun exciting work. find a job with another company fast...great springboard if done in the first year.

Cons

watch your back and if you aren't in...you will probably be out.

create a culture of advancement and security not a world of layoffs if not related to the upper management or their children

Overstock.com Response

Jan 4, 2015CEO

I've often found that the people who gripe about things being "political" are almost invariably the most political people. Often their dismay with organizational "politics" is an expression of their ... More

Great pace to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced, very progressive. Bunch of very smart people to learn from. A culture of teams and loyalty.

Cons

Nothing thats worth mentioning.

Keep up the great work.

Overstock has been great to me.

Current Employee - Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment, casual and fun. They do a lot of in house promotions so you nave feel stuck in one path

Cons

The cogs of the internal business, promotions raises moves slow, however there does seem to be a slight improvement as of late. Still could use some work.

Split work culture. One good. One not

Current Employee - Senior Software Tester in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Tester in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The older employees and the corporate office has a culture of quality software over speed with good work life balance.

Cons

The new culture at the "split" location is more about speed over quality and long hours and deadlines. Eventually the groups will combine at a new location and it's unknown which culture will become dominant.

Focus on the core values of what made Overstock.com a good company and a good company to work for, good customer service and good quality software.

Better have some friends..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, most of the time.

CEO is driven (though not always in the right ways)

Company events can be nice, though a more competitive pay would be better

Cons

Don't expect to move up without friends or family.

Management is all about politics. No one cares if you are actually a good employee or not.

Executives need to run the business better. Stop focusing on your pet projects, and look into ACTUALLY improving your basic customer service rep's job.

Be more competitive pay wise with other online retailers, even if it means the executives have to take a small hit out of their very large salaries.

Better than its reputation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people who work at Overstock are creative, fun, dedicated, and smart. It's an exciting team to be a part of.

Cons

Everyone above a certain level has gotten there by being friends with the owner, not by being qualified. There's definitely a limit to how far you can advance if you're not already one of the crowd.

Appreciate the employees you have. Invest in career planning, and help those who are interested advance in the company.

Which way is the wind blowing?

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Not usually asked to work long hours. I often get in around 10, and have only worked till or past 7 a couple times in over two years. I have never been required to work a weekend (some are, and often for little reason, however).
    -Dev teams are integrated QA and dev, with the tech lead coming from either track. Team mates usually look after each other.
    -All but one person on the team I started with has since been promoted significantly (and that one person doesn't seem to want a promotion). If you're on a team in the sunny side of management, advancement is easy. Some people even get custom made-for-them positions doing whatever they want.
    -The CEO is a passionate ideologue who follows his personal moral code and tries to promote his idea of good in the world. I don't always agree with his priorities, but I respect people who try to make a difference even when I don't always agree with them. And since I do agree with some of his things, I get to feel like we're doing some good in the world and not solely promoting overconsumption in order to trade environmental health in for temporary material profit like most retailers.
    -Sometimes your ideas as a dev for improving business ideas are listened to. I proposed an idea to a VP in a rare meeting I had with him once, and later found out another team had implemented it. There are also hackathons which you may or may not enjoy, but the ideas in them are often productionized as well.
    -There's an entire team dedicated to "Enterpise 2.0"--building platforms for the employees to communicate their ideas to senior management. The biggest outcome of this that I've seen is our now-amazing 401k (100% match to a percentage of salary with no vesting period), but there are also smaller things, like the construction of a staircase on a hill where many people slip trying to enter the building from a parking garage which was apparently positioned to serve other offices.
    -Obviously YMMV, but my manager genuinely cares about me and works to promote the personal and career interests of all of his direct reports.
    -Laidback culture where you don't need to wear formal clothes or act professional all the time. Overstock once did a commercial with Snoop and employees were invited to dress up and lip sync like the artist for the chance to meet him after a private performance he did for the company. Dressing up was cheesy and a little questionable given that the majority of employees are white, but nice to break up the monotony and be creative in a completely non-work related way.
    -I've been able to stay on the same team my whole time here and work on improving our product and code base--I'm quite passionate about that stuff, but unfortunately progress is treacle-slow due to tech debt and constantly changing priorities.
    -If you're lucky enough to work at Old Mill and not get transferred to Castle, the location is beautiful, with a creek and nature trail wrapping around the building and a clear view of stunning mountains from your window.

Cons

-The very worst is an extremely inconsistent work environment. Part of why I don't move teams is I'm afraid to. Some people are called in to work weekends for a senior executive's ego (even when there are known reasons the project can't deploy earlier even if they make this sacrifice). Others get chewed out by middle- or upper-management even when they're doing an excellent job. Still others get sidelined without enough work to do, put on projects that don't use the skills they were told they were being hired for, or stuck on dead-end, nightmarishly poorly managed long-term failures of projects. Not to mention all the people who buy houses or sign long-term leases only to be told they have to transfer to the other site on the far side of the valley.
    -Even without getting on a nightmare team, it's quite possible that senior management will decide that their horribly-managed project really just needs more "resources," and you'll get pulled into that letting all your hopes and dreams for both your continued employment at Overstock and the stuff you're actually supposed to be working on languish.
    -Many of upper management's (especially the CEO's) pet projects are pushed through at an absurd rate, sometimes multiple at once that are all top priority and all blocking each other at the same organizational bottlenecks that management is only very slowly and reluctantly willing to allocate resources to fix. The CEO has done things like commit publicly to the world that international Bitcoin integration will be live on a certain impossible date, and also bragged to the press about supposedly locking 40 developers in a room and sliding pizza under the door to get the original Coinbase integration out. You can imagine that those of us in dev have all been very leery about that.
    -Monday's #1 priority for your team that absolutely has to be dev-complete by Friday may be canceled Tuesday, revived on Wednesday with new requirements, revised on Thursday with tentative new completely different requirements that will be finalized by EOB, and then put on hold once it's deployed and is ready to flip on because business isn't really sure they got the requirements right.
    -Nepotism, brownnosers, politics, and firing those who aren't yes-men. I think these problems are the main reason for all the really poor judgment calls management makes, both in running projects and deciding what to do. You're frequently asked to implement something that's obviously a bad idea or that's just copying someone else long after they've cornered the market for that product, etc. You can't push back against that with any consistent degree of effectiveness (though if someone above you catches wind of it the bad decision may suddenly be un-scheduled after all), and you can't push back against the endless string of decisions to build up tech debt in order to get something out sooner, either.
    -Speaking of tech debt, yeah. There's areas of code that reliably make your skin crawl, and a monolithic app that takes over an hour to build. Any project to upgrade the code or eliminate an old framework usually takes years to complete, and most projects to restructure it are just never finished, and hang around cluttering up the code even more. Don't expect to be using cutting-edge technology because it just takes many years to get to the point where we can use it.
    -Working on projects that are constantly changed or canceled and that are of dubious value in the first place is dispiriting.
    -Some tech-stack decisions are awful, either because business wants to integrate with another Microsoft project, someone's convinced they need to buy a third EBI warehouse, or the architect in charge of a project has personality/ego issues.
    -Talent is getting weaker as the company expands, experienced people leave, and Java devs become vanishingly rare in Salt Lake. The onboarding/mentoring process is close to non-existent, and many who don't know code standards check in code unsupervised. Many teams of short-term contractors leave behind weak work that someone else has to maintain, or are simply incompetent and flounder unable to complete their projects.
    -While senior management is LGBT supportive, the dominant local culture is Mormon, so it isn't necessarily safe or comfortable to be yourself at work.
    -Almost all developers are white or Asian men. There are many comments, including from senior management, that create a hostile environment based on gender, race, or religion. For instance, there was a party at the Old Mill headquarters today with vacation giveaways. The CEO was joking at some winner that he should see his wife as back-up and pursue other women. I find this very uncomfortable. At a recent standup, a 15-year employee was given a hug by one of the senior executives, and the President made loud (misleading) comments about how they were kissing and getting all over each other and stuff like that. Once she told a story about how the CEO was having a conversation with Snoop and kept exclaiming in surprise about how he knew various educated-person facts/ideas. People with dietary restrictions are frequently harassed by their team mates even though those restrictions are religion-based. There was a "beard contest" with gift card prizes last November, and the directors running it refused to answer inquiries from employees about how that wasn't discriminatory, or about expanding it to be more inclusive. Every female development team lead I've ever heard about has been spoken badly of by the male devs, and the female President (who is herself a gender essentialist and has promoted gender stereotypes in the local news) is often accused in gossip circles of having slept her way to the top, even though her strong friendship with the CEO is more than enough to explain any perceived favoritism. Luckily microaggressions aren't something I witness every single day, but they've been happening a lot this week so it's on my mind.

Create a personal IT sandbox team again so you can get your pet projects (like pets and bitcoin) worked on consistently without throwing the rest of the development organization into chaos. I know you want to move quickly to keep up, but make sure you have a good idea first and actively solicit criticism of any idea you have to see whether the issue can be shored up, or we should scrap the idea or leave it for a time when it's more feasible before the damage is done. Get IT to really organize together and work out bottlenecks, techdebt, and consistent dysfunctions like the way the internationalization effort has been conducted. Make sure resources devoted to high-value core functions aren't deterred on pet projects. Realize that devs aren't really interchangeable "resources" and throwing more at a project isn't necessarily better. Stop making sexual comments at stand ups and company parties.

Fire that one guy in senior management who's been yelling at people and refusing to accept realistic project estimates. Build more trust--you are mostly very charismatic people but many employees fear that you're not honest with us. Moving people between locations against their will is a good way to lose trust. Not respecting us as professionals who will go as fast as we reasonably can without intimidation, and not respecting our weekends and evenings because you want to meet some date you committed to publicly without our buy-in are other good trust-losing strategies.

Get IT to create a strong mentorship and onboarding process, tailored to the existing strengths of new hires and contractors.

Keep innovating, borrowing the best innovations of others, and trying hard to run a company ethically and with input from the employees.