Overstock.com

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne

Patrick M. Byrne

298 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Love it

Associate Buyer (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThis company takes care of their employees and is the most positive office environment!

ConsThe salary is lower but they make it up in all the benefits they provide.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to new ideas and management strategies.

Great place to learn ecommerce. Dangerous place to build a career.

Director (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOverstock is the last of a dying breed. It is the last broad-line etailer left that makes all of its money from e-commerce. While Ebay and Amazon make most of their profits from enterprise products, Overstock soldiers along making every dollar selling sheets, shoes and DVDs. As a result, you have to be good at etail because that's all there is at Overstock. And there are / were some good employees that know it well. Working at Overstock will help you learn ecommerce inside and out.

ConsSenior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business. There is a strange desire to follow a dream that will never come to fruition. Unlike Amazon's CEO, who is an engineer and a "doer", Overstock CEO is a philosopher, so majority of strategy or ideas follow the path of philosophy - words, but no clear actions. There is no real strategy, no real interest in pursuing a clear path to long-term profitability. The goal is to play in any sandbox the CEO is interested in - its a fun game for him, and he doesn't care because he has inherited hundreds of millions from his father. Executives who oppose this approach are terminated or pushed out. During my time there I saw some of the best leaders and executives walked out the door for opposing the CEO in even the most subtle ways. Pay is relatively low - it is Utah, so people are willing to take a cut to work there. Work-life balance is amazing - no reason to work hard when there is not real incentive to deliver results, or your own projects are killed. Politics are rampant - but they are easy to understand - they all center around doing exactly what the CEO and President say, no matter how inane.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to say. I don't think management really cares - CEO and President have all their comp coming outside of Overstock, so driving long term profitability, value and employee satisfaction is not interesting to them.

I enjoyed a very organized and effective training program. I achieved 90% Quality Satisfaction and was promoted quickly.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsTable Tennis at SLC headquarters. A very large friendly team, fun games and prizes, excellent training, company ethics, great brand reputation, great customers, upper management was supportive, encouraging and available, CEO, Patrick Byrne is cool and inspiring. He threw a large party for us, good pay, and great work environment.

ConsThe location in Salt Lake City is quite bland, very strict and timely regarding clocking in and out for breaks and such. You spend a lot of time with your co workers so I remember clashing with one of supervisors and it led to me quitting the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is doing great. Thanks for making it a safe, healthy and prosperous environment.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great experience

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOverstock can be a fun place to work, if not a bit juvenile. Schedules can be flexible and facilities are nice.

ConsAlthough I honestly believe this company is run by people with good intentions, there is no organization or sense of direction. The CEO is a great man whom deserves respect as he truly cares for his company but the company has a very poor structure. There are way too many departments and managers. There is no consistency in the management of each department. Some managers are too laid back and unproductive while others (the majority) take themselves much, much too seriously. I think the folks in upper management would be surprised to hear what gets said about all those VPs and Directors in addition to what one Director may say about another, it's really uncomfortable to be around. To all those Directors and VP's, it's not a competition so pull back a little. To be successful there means you have to enjoy working in an environment where there is no or very little training, no follow up unless the wheels fall off and no real sense of direction. What is important today may very well be replaced tomorrow which will result in a whole new set of marching orders. If you like to work where there is a common vision and a sense that everyone is working to a single goal, don't work there. If you want even a minimal amount of organization, look elsewhere because it does not exists at Overstock. Bottom line, you can do better than working at Overstock. Lots of glitter, very little substance.

I've been away for a couple months now so my comments have most likely been tempered by time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThin the management herd a little and make them understand it's not a competition between departments to see who gets the most attention.

The best work environment in Utah.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsReal and tangible opportunities for growth that are not just hot air. They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting. I have worked at other call centers and nothing compares to it. I think what I like best is how management is continually working to improve job satisfaction and benefits. They just did a complete overhaul to our benefits and it was amazing.

ConsYour schedule changes according to call volume and that can be incredibly annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! I love how customer and employee centric the company is.

Software Architect

Software Architect (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsVery interesting technical challenges.
    Good pay but the benefits are not on-par with other companies of the same size.

ConsThere had been a constant tech brain drain during 2013 and the new hires are not bumping up the IQ.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere were a lot cynicism and distrust floating around. It might be a good a good idea to work on team morale and hire more capable tech management.

Executive Personal agenda = Corporate agenda

Team Lead (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOverstock has a high tech iq. We also get to work on interesting problems and projects. The pay and work life balance is good, benefits are a little lacking, but overall not too bad.

ConsThe largest con for Overstock in my book is the Corporate LGBT agenda that is be pushed by the executives and our hr department. This topic should be a private and personal topic. Not a Corporate agenda that alienates and divides the workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your personal agendas out of the boardroom.

A lot of promise without much action

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGood flexible company. Relaxed but challenging environment. Interesting work.

ConsThere's always the promise of more this, better that, etc but yet rarely does any of it ever happen.

A Place Where You Can Change Your Life.

Team Lead (Current Employee)
    West Valley City, UT

ProsThere is no glass ceiling. Diversity is encouraged. Excellence is rewarded. While some areas of the company have obvious requirements for a specific role (you should have a law degree to be a lawyer) you can move very far simply by being a motivated, business-savvy person. General quality of life is very good.

ConsEveryone is really friendly and teams intermingle. It can lead to or at least give the appearance of nepotism. If you know the right person and you've developed a relationship with them and they are able to help you move up, how is that any different than networking. I don't think unqualified people are moving up. But I do feel it impacts the decisions when you are deciding which of a couple people you're going to take a chance on.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep doing what you're doing. I've found that people's attitudes are what make their experience at Overstock.com a positive one or a negative one.

I wish management was easier to work for

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsSome great people work here. There are some smart and easy to get along with developers here. A number of cool projects. I've been on teams with very bright developers, but there are strong personalities that stop innovation from happening.

ConsHorrible on-boarding process. Upper management culture is terrible. There is a pattern of bad programming encouraged rather than using up to date technologies to speed development along.
    Management is unqualified to judge technical ability but routinely treats people with moderate programming skills as if they're gods just because they have strong personalities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like you're doing your employees a favor by letting them work for you. Encourage people to start using industry standard technologies rather than home growing everything just because we can.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!

Overstock.com Videos

Overstock.com – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are Overstock.com is a company that cares. Our business model is based on helping our customers save money; and every customer matters. The same goes with our associates. At Overstock.com you are not just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Overstock.com reviews and ratings in Salt Lake City, UT — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne. All 298 reviews posted anonymously by Overstock.com employees.