Overstock.com

Updated March 5, 2015
3.4

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here (in 32 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Previous reviews on here are obviously from within the company and upper management (in 31 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

319 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Excellent work life balance

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Work Life Balance
    Ample Learning opportunities

Cons

As of now, I don't see any issues working here

NONE

Mostly good with a few major problems.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most people are great to work with at overstock. Work to life balance is amazing. The culture is 21st century. Everyone is easy going and laid back.
    Despite my cons overstock is a fun place to work and is filled with, mostly, great people. I enjoyed my time there!

Cons

Management is horrible...very horrible. Executives don't plan and push projects professionally. Instead everything is done at the drop of a hat. Anything can happen, at anytime with 0 heads up. Plus executives are treated like royalty, you have to drop everything you are doing to help an executive, because it seems like they aren't capable of helping themselves.
    Nepotism. Can't go to either of overstocks locations without an executives relative calling the shots, even if they have no idea what they are doing. Probably get paid 4x more than any other employee as well.
    You are asked to do things outside of your scope and if you don't you can get fired, again, speaking of executives here.

Get off your high horse. Understand that people have jobs to do and can't hold your hands 24/7 to make sure you are happy. Take time to plan huge projects rather than rush them. Stop moving departments as much, let people work without having to move every month.

Good people/learning opportunities

Former Employee - Front End Software Tester in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Front End Software Tester in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great employees. Very intelligent software engineers. Beautiful location (Old Mill). Constant learning/training opportunities for techies. They let you take the initiative if you want to. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Upper management is uncomfortably political. Compensation is below industry standard. Health benefits & bonuses were lowered recently. Difficult to advance in career.

Leave politics at home. Pay employees better.

A mixed bag.

Current Employee - Copywriter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Copywriter in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

The best thing about working at Overstock are the friends you'll make. Lots of interesting, genuine people with varied interests. Many teams feel like families and many of my dear friends are former Overstock coworkers. I also appreciate that they take chances on good people and big ideas. And the company overall is progressive, tolerant, and multicultural.

Cons

There is very little structure within the departments. Groups and whole departments are restructured several times a year. In five years there, I had 13 different desk locations, 8 different directors, and 7 different managers. At the time of my termination, I didn't have a manager or directors. I didn't have a job description or general process guidelines. Turnover is painfully high.

The instability throughout the company (constant desk shuffling, new creative directors every few months) is contributing to a gigantic morale problem (people are constantly scared).

Glad I no longer work there

Former Employee - Product Care in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Product Care in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good flexibility with hours, co-workers are all really great people, and direct supervisors are great to work with.

Cons

The pay is ridiculously low, and one of my co-workers who is a hard worker from what I've seen told me she didn't get a raise for 4 years, which just goes to show that employees (at least in my department) are not taken seriously or appreciated. The manager of my entire department even admitted that everyone is underpaid. The PTO plan is not competitive, and there seems to be a very high turnover rate. Upper management will do things like announce that they made 25 million dollars on Black Friday with the help of everyone working hard and staying late if necessary, and then in the weeks following, which are less busy, they will say that they want people to go home early (without pay or they can use their PTO) to save the company money. That just doesn't seem right to me. If you are hired to work full-time, you should be able to work full-time every week of the year, not get your hours slashed because of holiday circumstances. The CEO and president seem to have a weird relationship, hugging and kissing at company events etc.. It just doesn't seem professional. I've also heard stories from other departments that upper management (particularly the president) will fire people based on their own personal whim and not because the employee was inadequate or did anything wrong. Perhaps they had some productive criticism that wasn't taken well. To sum it up, upper management seems egotistical and doesn't seem to care much for the employees that work hard for this company. I received another opportunity and was happy to leave.

The employees at overstock are not just there for your own personal benefit. Treat them with respect and I guarantee people would stick around a lot longer and speak highly of the company. Also, act more professional and you will be taken more seriously. As of now, everyone I am friends with that has/does worked there did not have great things to say.

Not a Netflix or Amazon or Facebook

Current Employee - Technology in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Technology in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

work/life balance, interesting projects motivated more by making the world a better place and less by $$, charismatic CEO

Cons

immature program management (project prioritization, measurable success metrics), brittle architecture and absence of design phase in software development, serial business processes, lack of trusted data to run the business, poor collaboration between business & IT, senior leadership advancement based on loyalty to company instead of comprehensive work experience (just look at their LinkedIn profiles)

- instead of trying to superficially emulate the companies you aspire to be, hire and listen to talent who have been there
    - embrace reality by fixing the engine instead of re-skinning with a shiny exterior
    - allow technology and business leaders to jointly contribute to program/project management (ROI analyses, how to build it, the time it will take)
    - evangelize enterprise architecture that is the hallmark of innovative technology companies well down the CMM path instead of shoveling "tech debt" under the rug
    - surround yourself with brilliant people instead of just "smart" people (it's all relative)

political nightmare

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

fun exciting work. find a job with another company fast...great springboard if done in the first year.

Cons

watch your back and if you aren't in...you will probably be out.

create a culture of advancement and security not a world of layoffs if not related to the upper management or their children

Overstock.com Response

Jan 4, 2015CEO

I've often found that the people who gripe about things being "political" are almost invariably the most political people. Often their dismay with organizational "politics" is an expression of their ... More

Fun company.

Current Employee - Csr3 in Tooele, UT
    Current Employee - Csr3 in Tooele, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

Close to home. Decent pay.

Cons

No attendance policy in place.

Don't lose sight of the individual as growth occurs.

Better have some friends..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, most of the time.

CEO is driven (though not always in the right ways)

Company events can be nice, though a more competitive pay would be better

Cons

Don't expect to move up without friends or family.

Management is all about politics. No one cares if you are actually a good employee or not.

Executives need to run the business better. Stop focusing on your pet projects, and look into ACTUALLY improving your basic customer service rep's job.

Be more competitive pay wise with other online retailers, even if it means the executives have to take a small hit out of their very large salaries.

Better than its reputation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people who work at Overstock are creative, fun, dedicated, and smart. It's an exciting team to be a part of.

Cons

Everyone above a certain level has gotten there by being friends with the owner, not by being qualified. There's definitely a limit to how far you can advance if you're not already one of the crowd.

Appreciate the employees you have. Invest in career planning, and help those who are interested advance in the company.