Overstock.com Reviews

Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

I Like It Here But Live in Constant Fear

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you get into a good department with nice people, it can be a great job. The 401(k) is really good, and they recently made an effort to start paying everyone above industry average, so pay isn't as sad as it was 5 years ago.

Cons

I worry a lot that I'm going to get transferred to a department where I wouldn't want to be. There's a microscope on certain departments, and it gets a little intense, and sometimes it seems like people in those areas are fired or reprimanded for arbitrary reasons.

Advice to Management

Focus on improving the areas of the website that are the things we brag about the most. Weird projects that come out of nowhere and suddenly become important just waste everyone's time. We should be focusing on the backbone of the business.

I wish Glassdoor would audit for fake posts (From Overstock)

Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A paycheck. You work with genuinely good people (most of the time) on challenging work. 401k.

I would encourage everyone to see how "Helpful" a post is. You can tell which ones are fake (that have no or very little "Helpful" counts).

Cons

The fake posts on here really shows how fake this company is. Our president wants to talk about "soul" when half of the advancement in the company is the result of nepotism. Find the people that are related to her and see how competent they are. You can't really complain to HR about this, because they don't care. Soul, ha.

Advice to Management

Why give advice to deaf ears?

Future Overstock Management (one day hopefully), please learn from the mistakes of your predecessors.

Overstock.com Response

Apr 22, 2015SVP Human Resources

Thanks for your post. I think it's important to note that no one writes fake posts on behalf of the company and as a member of HR/People Care, we would welcome a chance to hear your concerns ... More

Never waste a good opportunity to learn from a bad leader.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

The EMPLOYEES at Overstock has to be the biggest pro. I've made some of my best friends here and that's pretty cool. Most employees have a passion for the work and really want to see the company succeed.

Cons

It is currently being run by someone who is out of her league. She has done some great things in the customer service department and it is one of the best in retail. Kudos to her. That being said, there is nothing else of major consequence she has accomplished since (10 years ago) and she has hung her entire career on that one win.

She is a bully and will humiliate employees regularly to deflect her inadequacies. Just when you think you've reached the bottom of her craziness, there's a crazy underground garage.

The leadership definitely has an immature, high school feeling about it. If you're not in the 'in-crowd', it makes for an unstable work environment for sure.

The common theme here, is that people love who they work with, but they don't like who they work for.

Advice to Management

The vision seems to be poorly tangled around juvenile, smart-ass comments in company stand-ups rather than any real business strategy. I guess that's the definition of SOUL?

Find someone who actually understands and can clearly communicate the basics of business and our strategy. We need someone who can be the leader of a world-wide, publicly traded company. We used to have that, but those days are long gone. I'm surprised the board and shareholders are ok with this.

Senior Demand Management Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Demand Management Analyst in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Demand Management Analyst in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with my co-workers, analyzing data, and building tools in Excel to make work easier. I enjoy the atmosphere and flexible hours to work here

Cons

Work life balance started out great, but they are starting to put more and more on us and sometimes it is harder to balance it.

Advice to Management

Overall my management is good. We get along and they can come to me if they have questions.

The company culture is not what it used to be

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative LTL in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative LTL in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy this job because of the opportunities that are available. I remember in training were always told about the fun nature of the company and that it's the happy employees that equal the success of overstock. We have fun things, like tie dye this week, but unfortunately there's no way I will be able to participate because of my work load. My department is tiny but we have the most work out of everyone. I'm a part of this group because I work very hard.

Cons

I feel like the people in my department are under paid for doing 3xs as much work. Management wonders why the moral in my department is often low, well we have tons of work, not enough employees to do it and then we get in trouble because we are so behind. I feel this is an uphill battle with no end in site.

Advice to Management

We keep asking for more people and it sounds like we may be getting a few next month, but I'm confident it won't be enough. I also think we should all be reviewed for a raise. The amount of work that is being asked of us will be more likely get done with added incentives :-)

Once great.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+ Best dev organization I've ever worked with.
    + Great place to learn and grow. I had some great mentors there.
    + Good technology. Java shop. Open source. If your skills stagnate during your time at Overstock, it's your own fault.
    + Amazing how much dev, and dev ops, gets done given how small they are! I've worked with far larger, far wealthier companies who couldn't get a fraction of the work done.
    + Dev has a can-do attitude. Whereas at other employers, they’ll say “This is hard so we can’t do it” at Overstock they’ll say “This is hard. But we are going to do it.”
    + Two dev locations in the valley, northwest and southeast, may give commuters and homeowners some choice.
    + In the dev organization, mostly good managers. With one exception, the managers I reported to in my years there were good to great.
    + Flexible environment in an intelligent way: flexible hours when the work is getting done, bluebird ski mornings, focus on better software not more expensive suits.
    + Benefits are better than market average.
    + Overstock has not offshored their internal support, as so many others have foolishly done. The support is right there onsite, and they are good at their jobs. So when a monitor dies or a cooling fan stops spinning or whatever, they can get you back to work quickly.
    + Good corporate citizen: support for mass transit and ridesharing, involvement in food drives and the like, blood donations, local artisan sourcing, Mainstreet program....

Cons

- At some points a surprisingly juvenile corporate culture. In a morning meeting I observed some behavior that, frankly speaking, grown men should not be doing at work.

- Inexcusably disrespectful to some employees. New hires don’t have a desk or a working computer for days. I had no workspace for weeks and walked around in search of an empty sofa in a corner or a desk of someone out sick. Ridiculous! This is just incredibly rude. I would never treat my employees like this. Inexcusable.

- Years ago someone posted something like "They promote people they like whether they're good for the job or not." I wish I could say I knew this was false.

- Recently a number of people have posted stories about the company's nepotism problem. I wish I could say I knew this was false.

- During my last two years there I witnessed a steady departure from Agile, so if Agile is important to you, keep looking.

- The company is in some ways very disorganized and still immature, so if a more organized and more professional work environment is important to you, keep looking.

- Overstock was no longer a meritocracy by the time I left, so if you want to work in a meritocracy, keep looking.

- The bonus program is an annual exercise in excuse-making, so make sure you are completely content with the base salary offered. What bothers me more than the money is the pattern of excuse-making. I never considered a bonus to be a right. But I expected the leadership above me to have integrity.

- Inconsistent and arbitrary application of its own published policies.

- Overstock hires the best and brightest technology workers anywhere, then forces them onto some ridiculous, harmful projects, then ignores repeated warnings, then blames the wrong people for the outcome.

- Overstock has suffered from self-inflicted wounds. In my years there, I witnessed Overstock bow down to unimportant partners, and say "Gee thank you for telling us how we should run our business." Overstock has no problem firing its own employees at the drop of a hat. But they bow down to these partners, some of them a fraction of Overstock's size, and even when it puts Overstock at risk! Sometimes it seems like they just can't say no to these guys. And sometimes it seems like they don't understand or don't care that some of these relationships are actually contrary to Overstock's interests.

- Warning: Have your own lawyer review the non-compete and advise you before you sign it. Overstock will tell you it's normal. It's way outside industry norms. That Overstock leadership keeps claiming it's normal isn't helping their cause.

- Speaking of the non-compete, Overstock is supposedly, and publicly, committed to the free market, as they should be. Why then does Overstock resort to coercion in the labor market? And it is concerning that a company that supposedly respects its employees must resort to threats and bullying. That's not how respect is shown.

- New hire orientation begins with a moving speech by the CEO in which he tells newbies they'll be fired for lying. Great start. Too bad truth-telling in this company can get you into trouble.

- The physical plant, the workspaces and such, was in desperate need of reinvestment when I left. Broken furniture etc. Slumish. Unprofessional. This was very noticed when I arrived at my new employer, just how much of a dump I had come from. My new employer did ten times more to create an efficient, clean, safe, condusive work environment.

- Despite many statements to the contrary over many years, Overstock remained an English-language, American-centered company. OK. Everybody has to start somewhere. But that’s not a long term winning strategy. And they should just stop talking about international markets if they’re not serious about it.

- Managers are not always empowered to reward their high performers. Worse, managers are in some cases actively blocked when trying to do right by their high performers.

Advice to Management

There are people who have knowingly passed up to you falsified data in order to advance their own interests and/or push others down. You need to do to them exactly what you said you would do in the new hire orientation. This kind of behavior deserves one response from you: punishment.

Some of these partners are ripping you off, or putting you at risk, and deserve nothing but to be drop-kicked. And don't forget, you already have great teams in house who could do the work better without risk.

It was fun at the beginning, but it got worse as time went on. Also was promises opportunities but never saw any.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good first Call Center job, everyone who works there is awesome and kind.

Cons

The company focuses on improving all the wrong areas, and never really knows how to address internal issues properly. For example, they didn't stress the importance of attendance for the time I worked there. There was an employee who had 11 no call/no shows before he was fired, something I've never heard of happening at any job I've ever worked before. When this was going on the company couldn't explain the influx of calls and emails everyone was getting, they put the blame else where and focused on productivity and accused everyone who would show up to work of not getting any thing done. They also put to much trust in employees, most of the time work is done incorrectly by the same person over and over again and they seem to address the issue once or twice and it still happens. It also is impossible to advance in the company unless you know someone in the department you want go to.

Advice to Management

Focus on the right areas of problems, and address them properly.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Systems Integration Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Systems Integration Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

The people are the best. With only 1500 employees everyone becomes family very quickly. it’s a very supportive and close group of people. Middle and upper management are great. There are many chances to get promoted from within the company as well.

Cons

The only con is that they are a little below national average on their salaries. The people help make up the difference though. Their bonus system could use some restructuring.

Advice to Management

I’ve been very impressed by the executive team. They all seem to have an open door policy and are receptive to new ideas from subordinates. My only advice is to fix the bonus system. I like how it’s an egalitarian system so everyone gets the same amount relative to their salaries, but our compensation and bonuses should be based on hitting are goals and performance, not on expenses the company had incurred. Don’t punish the employees because the company lost a lawsuit especially when it was a record selling year. Besides the bonus system I would give Overstock 5 stars.

Mostly good with a few major problems.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are great to work with at overstock. Work to life balance is amazing. The culture is 21st century. Everyone is easy going and laid back.
    Despite my cons overstock is a fun place to work and is filled with, mostly, great people. I enjoyed my time there!

Cons

Management is horrible...very horrible. Executives don't plan and push projects professionally. Instead everything is done at the drop of a hat. Anything can happen, at anytime with 0 heads up. Plus executives are treated like royalty, you have to drop everything you are doing to help an executive, because it seems like they aren't capable of helping themselves.
    Nepotism. Can't go to either of overstocks locations without an executives relative calling the shots, even if they have no idea what they are doing. Probably get paid 4x more than any other employee as well.
    You are asked to do things outside of your scope and if you don't you can get fired, again, speaking of executives here.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse. Understand that people have jobs to do and can't hold your hands 24/7 to make sure you are happy. Take time to plan huge projects rather than rush them. Stop moving departments as much, let people work without having to move every month.

Former good place to work now a complete dump.

Current Employee - Customer Care Team Lead in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Care Team Lead in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Friends aND building has a bathroom and a heater.

Cons

when I started at Overstock it was amazing-benefits were excellent, helpfulness of the team leads etc. But, I have to say that in the last 3-4 months we have lost 50% of our team leads, have a complete change over of supervisors and managers and the turnover has gone from super low to over 50%. In the last 3 months of this year about half of our staff have either quit or been 'fired' for things that are actually part of our processes.

At one time I would have recommended overstock to anyone but no longer. Most of my coworkers were job hunting (I had several of them tell me of places to job hunt that I would never have considered). I will NO longer work for overstock, use their services, purchase items from them and will never say anything good about them ever again. It's amazing-they went from being a terrific company to work for to a company I can no longer say anything good about.

Good luck if you go to work for them.

Advice to Management

Stop firing and making those on my team and other teams leave for better jobs. Sucks being a team lead and watching employee morale go down the toilet cause the company is going down the drain. Me and several other team leads are searching and having job interviews on our days off.