Overstock.com Reviews

Reset
3.3
Overstock.com Chairman and CEO Patrick M. Byrne
Patrick M. Byrne

Pros
  • Just like some of the other reviews mention, there is a great work/life balance here (in 32 reviews)

• They pay well and the work environment is very diverse and accepting (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Others get chewed out by middle- or upper-management even when they're doing an excellent job (in 31 reviews)

• Senior Management - CEO and current President - have no interest in building a profitable business (in 17 reviews)

1. love my job!

Current Employee - Customer Service in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family like feeling
    Amazing management! Especially CS!
    Great opportunities available
    Good pay
    Fun caring team!
    I feel happy each day I get up to go to work.

Cons

They give a lot of chances to people, when they are rotten apples.

Advice to Management

Continue to spend time and develop. Love seeing managers with their leads and agents. Support the floor as much as you can.

Most of the reviews I have to agree with. My constructive feedback:

Former Employee - Anonymous in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked with some amazing people at Overstock. Made some great friends and those friendships will last for years. I think the 401k plan is amazing.

Cons

I really don't want to turn this review into an Overstock bashing review like other of my former colleagues have posted. I will echo a lot of the negative concerns such as Arches Healthcare, smoking pot jokes at quarterly meetings, rash and unrealistic requests made by management, nepotism, and people being terrified to lose their job depending on the day by senior management.

My main concerns from my experience are these:

Teams are overworked and are on skeleton crews. Attention is very narrow and focused specific to their team due to this. I would like to see teams within the same department shift their focus to being part of a larger team helping out one another to achieve the common goal. If there is a task that needs 3 teams to be involved and it's important to solve it, I would like to see a member of each team sit down together and just fix the problem in an efficient manner vs emailing teams back and forth waiting for each team to do their part.

I would like to see management be revamped and eliminate the fear that is passed down. You don't motivate your teams with fear. Motivate with giving the employees the tools they need and the number of employees needed to successfully achieve the goal and tasks at hand.

Advice to Management

Overall my experience was average. I saw some good and unfortunately more negative than good. I ask that you truly take into consideration the other reviews that have been written to try to right what is wronged. I think Overstock is a great company and it has the potential to be even better but please listen to those employees who have taken the time to write these thoughtful reviews.

Unfortunate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Lots of smart/good people who work hard and really want the business to succeed.
    2. Never a boring day, fast paced
    3. Never ending list of challenging problems to solve
    4. If you are proactive and have a good idea you can test it out
    5. As quirky as Patrick might be, he should be credited for his passion, standing by his principles and fighting the good fight. The company’s financial success and employee morale, however, would be better served if millions weren't spent on lawyers and if the promoting and hiring of senior executives was done by someone else.

Cons

The President. The other reviews explain the issue well enough. The Board needs to do something quickly or else the company will continue to lose its best people and/or be crippled by irrational decisions. The leadership thinks everyone is expendable but what they don't understand is that with each loss more and more invaluable tribal knowledge is being lost. The company and the remaining employees are then left to learn what was already learned, thus inhibiting progress.

Advice to Management

Seems obvious but appreciate, recognize and promote those people who work hard and make a real difference. These people may or may not be your best friend or the people who speak the loudest.

Front End Developer

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair Benefits, Growing Company, Co-workers, Company Parties, Location.

Cons

Company's understanding of AGILE, fourth quarter stress, officepolitics/change and turn over.

Advice to Management

We often lose great managers and directors for weird reasons. Keeping these leaders who inspire hard work and trust in the expertise of those in their fields is lost here. Stronger retention of these leaders and other strong performing employees would make Overstock exceptional.

A good job but

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

It's a great place to learn the ropes. You can learn a lot of different software and get real responsibility. There is great work/life balance.

Cons

The marketing department lives in constant fear of being fired. People are afraid to speak up when upper management makes weird decisions. There are constant changes to management structure and where you sit.

Advice to Management

Keep things steady. Employees want stability. Allow employees to give ananymous input on brand endorsers.

Customer Care Rep

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Co-Workers, Fun Activities, food trucks available during day shift, discounts

Cons

Low Pay for what a employee has to do, low pay in general, promise you things in interview then do not keep their promises, have their favorites

Advice to Management

team leads do not like to help nor do they want to take supervisors calls

Great or terrible. Depends on the day. Or weather. Or something.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding worker bees doing their best to establish their careers. You'll make good friends. Pretty solid work/life balance for most of us. Amazing location (though that will change next year...we'll see how that goes). Occasionally interesting projects that allow one to stand out if you really want to.

Cons

The president of the company went to the Larry Ellison school of management. She manages by fear. And unfortunately, her influence is growing as more and more of us find ourselves reporting to her. She makes huge decisions on uninformed whims, refuses to change direction once a decision has been made, and seems to enjoy humiliating others. Some days your number is just up and it's your turn to feel like trash. Really not worth it.

Advice to Management

Put checks on the president. Limit her influence. Attrition is bad and going to get worse as more and more people learn that there are other places to work out there where fear is not an omnipresent cloud hanging over each day.

Beware....

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros....becoming very hard to find. Still lots of good employees who want to be successful...

Cons

Overstock has lost its leadership. Patrick is off chasing his Cryptocurrency dreams and the ship is sinking quick with Stormy at the helm. Loss of long term employees at all levels should be an alarm to the executive team (those who are still there or not lined up to leave). Good employee's do not leave good employers and a healthy work atmosphere at the rate OS is loosing key people. It's toxic and as mentioned in multiple reviews, management by bullying and fear from Stormy. The reports here are not exaggerated. You'd be shocked to be a fly on the wall....

Advice to Management

Patrick really needs to stop drinking whatever coolaid Stormy is feeding him. The board needs to realize what is happening and make changes. OS needs a new President/leadership with corporate experience to come on board and realign corporate direction and strategy. You would think at some point, someone would try and figure out why the mass exodus...and why HR is having such a difficult (borderline impossible) time finding replacements. Look at the number of Director and Management positions available.....these positions are not open due company growth...look at the numbers and read the reviews.

A company with a conscience

Current Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, work/life balance, interesting work, stable company with steady growth, bonuses, perks. Overstock also tries to "do the right thing".

Cons

Fast over right, lots of tech-debt, not enough data scientists, too many "ooh shiny" projects lacking cost/benefit analysis or accountability.

Advice to Management

A clearer corporate strategy/vision shared with all the staff could allow us to grow the business much faster.

Fun Environment; Poor Vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment and lots of great employee appreciation events. Diverse workforce and a company that appreciates and recognizes that diversity. Impressive tuition reimbursement.

Cons

High turnover of management which is unstable and constantly changing. Organization and departments have unclear goals which also change excessively. Poor focus of interest in promoting and recognition.

Advice to Management

Seek out high producers who consistently perform at high quality. Recognize and appreciate the importance of education. People leave (especially after taking advantage of tuition reimbursement) as the opportunities for change within the organization were not provided to them.

RSS Feed </> Embed