Owens Community College

Owens Community College Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

It was great! I enjoyed by job being a student-employee.

Administrative Assistant Student/Employee (Former Employee) Findlay, OH

ProsIt is very fun to work with such a variety of students.

ConsSome students take out their issues with tuition costs, inability to pay, etc. on the front desk administration staff who have nothing to do with their problems.

"Being part of the Owens Family"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Findlay, OH

ProsWorking at Owens feels like becoming part of an academic family. I have forged lifelong friendships in only 2 years. My supervisor not only did her job, but also became a trusted friend. Compensation for my non-tenured position was quite high for this area of Ohio. Owens encouraged a very strong bond between educators and students by constantly facilitating fun, engaging social events on campus. What job lets you make snow cones for students and then challenge those sane students to a ride on a mechanical bull?

ConsThe biggest issues I faced at Owens was a lack of concern by upper management for doing the most important work of maintaining accreditation for its nursing program-a major revenue source for the college. This impacted all other programs as well due to budget cuts, decreased class sizes, etc. Highly qualified and effective individuals were let go along with the irresponsible upper management in the nursing programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know of multiple students reporting highly unethical treatment of nursing students by an instructor yet no action at all was taken as she had the credentials Owens needed for nursing instructors. I watched 6 out of 10 of that instructor's students leave the already struggling nursing program yet no consequence for that instructor. I also watched as a few very vocal students caused highly respected instructors lose their positions in very sketchy situations. It seems that Owens was more concerned about the threat of lawsuits and therefore threw these long term, vested individuals 'under the bus' out of fear, yet let a well documented NEW instructor stay because she was needed for the failing RN program.

Awful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat employees but unfortunately the best ones were all fired or played off

ConsNo goal or direction. Poor management. Terrible leadership because of their inemperience . treats employees pretty bad

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all staff professionally. More training needed for those in leadership position. No more nepotism

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience working at Owens.

Lead Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsI enjoyed my fellow workers, most of whom cared about their students and were dedicated to improving their teaching skills.

ConsPart time employees weren't always respected.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecause 70% of Owens's faculty is part time, management should be more interested in respecting their career goals and personal development.

Great place to work!

Student Secretary (Former Employee) Perrysburg, OH

ProsI worked as a student worker, and I loved the fact that I was included in various office functions, and was treated like a regular employee.

ConsStudents only make minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be wonderful to pay students more for positions available on campus.

Teaching at Owens Community College

ProsNone i know of right now

ConsNone i can think of right now

Better colleges to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsGreat healthcare benefits, pretty good coworkers

ConsUnclear expectations from management; was constantly mircomanaged

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the managers to be leaders

Was a decent place to work, not fiscally responsible

Associate Registrar (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

Prossome nice colleagues, flexible schedule

Consturnover in administration, too many personal agendas/politics, financial challenges, reduction in force not handled consistently. Stressful environment, low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep talented, hard working individuals and cut the non-productive, non-knowledgeable workers to help with institutions reputation. Lack of knowledge and experience in workforce will frustrate students and staff, enrollment will suffer and create higher turnover in staff. One person making the decision on what staff to eliminate results in personal agendas, cutting those they fear or that do not agree with their opinions and ideas.

Laid back, easygoing

Lab Assistant (Former Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsI was able to learn how to deal with people of all different types of IT background

ConsMonotonous, no room for improvement or advancement unless you stay there a while.

very satisfied

Computer Lab Staff (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

Prosnice people and very nice boss. Student are very respectable and nice. I enjoy helping people whenever i can and my hours are very flexible.

Consnone. there are no problems with working in the computer lab. I am taking courses and it is very helpful to have access to the internet.

Advice to Senior Managementthe only advice that i can probably give upper management is give lab workers more than 24 hrs a week.

Worked for Owens Community College? Contribute to the Community!