Owens Community College Reviews

CEO

1. Awful

Former Employee - Financial Aid in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Aid in Toledo, OH

I worked at Owens Community College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None. Its a paycheck that's it

Cons

Incompetent and vindictive management. They lack strategic planning. College wastes money because of indecisiveness. Needs placed on a fiscal watch because they don't know what they are doing. Workers are treated badly. Harassment and discrimination tolerated and management looks the other way or is clueless. hr is useless

Wiipe out all management and start over. They are all unfit to lead a college

Great People, Poor Communication, No Pay Increases

I worked at Owens Community College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some good people who go out of their way to help you. You get a lot of time off that increases with the length of time you stay. Great for working Moms who need lots of time off due to family issues and kids. Good insurance.

Cons

Poor communication from the top down. Some people don't have enough to do so they spend the time watching videos, Facebooking and just generally visiting back and forth. Other people are so swamped they can't keep up with the workload. Don't expect a pay raise unless you move to another position and the likelihood of that is almost zero.

Adjunct Instructor

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor

I worked at Owens Community College

Pros

Had a lot of academic freedom.

Cons

The salary wasn't worth it. there was a lot of work especially for the first year that wasn't compensated well.

5. It was great! I enjoyed by job being a student-employee.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Student/Employee in Findlay, OH
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Student/Employee in Findlay, OH

I worked at Owens Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is very fun to work with such a variety of students.

Cons

Some students take out their issues with tuition costs, inability to pay, etc. on the front desk administration staff who have nothing to do with their problems.

6. "Being part of the Owens Family"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Findlay, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Findlay, OH

I worked at Owens Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Owens feels like becoming part of an academic family. I have forged lifelong friendships in only 2 years. My supervisor not only did her job, but also became a trusted friend. Compensation for my non-tenured position was quite high for this area of Ohio. Owens encouraged a very strong bond between educators and students by constantly facilitating fun, engaging social events on campus. What job lets you make snow cones for students and then challenge those sane students to a ride on a mechanical bull?

Cons

The biggest issues I faced at Owens was a lack of concern by upper management for doing the most important work of maintaining accreditation for its nursing program-a major revenue source for the college. This impacted all other programs as well due to budget cuts, decreased class sizes, etc. Highly qualified and effective individuals were let go along with the irresponsible upper management in the nursing programs.

I know of multiple students reporting highly unethical treatment of nursing students by an instructor yet no action at all was taken as she had the credentials Owens needed for nursing instructors. I watched 6 out of 10 of that instructor's students leave the already struggling nursing program yet no consequence for that instructor. I also watched as a few very vocal students caused highly respected instructors lose their positions in very sketchy situations. It seems that Owens was more concerned about the threat of lawsuits and therefore threw these long term, vested individuals 'under the bus' out of fear, yet let a well documented NEW instructor stay because she was needed for the failing RN program.

7. Good experience working at Owens.

Current Employee - Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher

I have been working at Owens Community College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my fellow workers, most of whom cared about their students and were dedicated to improving their teaching skills.

Cons

Part time employees weren't always respected.

Because 70% of Owens's faculty is part time, management should be more interested in respecting their career goals and personal development.

8. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Student Secretary in Perrysburg, OH
    Former Employee - Student Secretary in Perrysburg, OH

I worked at Owens Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked as a student worker, and I loved the fact that I was included in various office functions, and was treated like a regular employee.

Cons

Students only make minimum wage.

It would be wonderful to pay students more for positions available on campus.

9. Teaching at Owens Community College

I have been working at Owens Community College

Pros

None i know of right now

Cons

None i can think of right now

Better colleges to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I worked at Owens Community College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great healthcare benefits, pretty good coworkers

Cons

Unclear expectations from management; was constantly mircomanaged

Train the managers to be leaders

Was a decent place to work, not fiscally responsible

Current Employee - Associate Registrar in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Associate Registrar in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Owens Community College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

some nice colleagues, flexible schedule

Cons

turnover in administration, too many personal agendas/politics, financial challenges, reduction in force not handled consistently. Stressful environment, low morale.

Keep talented, hard working individuals and cut the non-productive, non-knowledgeable workers to help with institutions reputation. Lack of knowledge and experience in workforce will frustrate students and staff, enrollment will suffer and create higher turnover in staff. One person making the decision on what staff to eliminate results in personal agendas, cutting those they fear or that do not agree with their opinions and ideas.