Owens Corning

Owens Corning Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Owens Corning Chairman and CEO Mike Thaman

Mike Thaman

Pros:
  • "Mid-west culture lends itself to a strong emphasis on family life and work-life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Good people and caring managemant"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is pretty non-existent, at least in some areas of the business"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Company is very tied to the consumer housing market and have been experiencing economic issues as a result"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Memorable

Safety (Current Employee)
    Amarillo, TX

ProsGood safety culture from corporate, great people to work with within the plant, friendly environment, good benefits, comparable pay, challenging tasks

ConsPoor communication, pushes employees into jobs they don't want, poor business management- hire then cut back and lay off, lack of policy enforcement, hard to prmooted from primary employee to salary employee,

Advice to Senior ManagementThe primary employees you have are very talented. Look to them when trying to promote. Also, work on communication throughout plants, from plant to plant, and from corporate to plant level.

Great Company very focused on people development

ProsGreat people who are very knowledgable and easy to work with. Bosses are very focused on personal development. A lot of opportunity within the company.

ConsNot many. Working in a plant sometimes demands strange hours. Must be somewhat flexible to work in a plant setting.

Great culture, awesome people and global exposure.

Toledo, OH

ProsLeaders continue to challenge you and take you outside your comfort zone to help you develop. The employees are extremely caring and have high work standards. It's easy to stand to behind our products as they truly make the world a better place.

ConsCompany needs to take more risks and allow employees to fail to help them grow and develop. The pay for performance methodology can get in the way of a good team environment.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work environment, but need to be proactive about own growth and development.

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee)
    Toledo, OH

Pros•Huge focus on health and safety
    •Strong brand recognition
    •Beautiful campus and great community commitment
    •Many growth and development opportunities, but expect to search them out.

Cons•Not enough training which leads to a lot of miscommunication.
    •Leadership doesn't always focus on big picture

Advice to Senior ManagementStop relying solely on metrics to paint the picture. Data can be skewed based on who's pulling the numbers. Look more toward your people and customers to better illustrate the story.

Lacking Leadership but Great Technical Expertise

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsToledo is actually a nice community in the midwest and OC is a dominant employer. Average pay offset by reasonable cost of living. Product engineering are stellar folks.

ConsVery political and male-dominated organization. It's who you know not what you know. Senior leaders seem to earn "tenure" and don't have to produce to remain in key positions while younger, hungrier individuals end up leaving for opportunities elsewhere. Old-school unionized environments lack progressive attitudes. Even in the '80's they seemed stuck in the '40's.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify you management teams. Reward hard work with career growth and turnover the dead weight. Focus on core competencies rather than spreading thin across so many product lines.

A very good company with very poor medical insurance.

ProsGreat training opportunities and advancement if you work hard. Very safety oriented. Good salary.

ConsThe benefits have to be the worst in the Fortune 500 companies. They make it hard to get a full bonus check. If you will have a baby you will have to pay about $7000 out of pocket.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving us this lousy medical insurance. I have to pay $7000 out of pocket for a baby? Really?!

KCK Plant SHAMEFUL!

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, KS

ProsI really enjoyed my co-workers. The pay was decent. Employees were really helpful in training and giving uncut views on politics and history of company.

ConsThe work schedule was horrible and antiqated. The work enviroment was very unhealthy. The union was a joke. The job culture was counter-productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild or do serious renovation of plant. Change work schedule. Improve emloyee training and work culture including eliminating favoritism.

Opportunities for you if you are a white American....not so good if you are black

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsWork is interesting, pay is decent. The company's focus on safety is very appealing, and managers (those who are good) will steer you in the right direction.

ConsVery conservative company...if you are someone who can generate ideas and desire to see them implemented, look elsewhere. Also, being a minority( am a currently employed black engineer btw) I will say this. If you are a minority (woman or other minority engineer), your chances of progressing into leadership position or even getting promoted are very limited. I would advice that you look elsewhere. I will be leaving in 3 weeks for a better position, with bigger pay. And this is with a global company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe middle management should just be let go. It is really killing us.

Solid company, great executive leadership

Director (Former Employee)
    Toledo, OH

ProsVery well respected and well run company in the building materials industry. Has been the market leader for 70 years for a reason. I worked closely with the CEO and executive team - in my experience they are among the best

ConsBuilding materials is a very cyclical industry and the company is exposed to lay-offs as the industry cycles down as it did in 2008 - 2010. OC's headquarters in Toledo, OH is an OK, but not great place to live

Great Development Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Toledo, OH

ProsManagement is very focused on your development, and growth. When you have gained the experience in a role, management is receptive to shifting your role. Upper management wants to develop talent internally... Especially if you would intend to remain in the Toledo Ohio area long term.

ConsWhile very development focused, high structure can mean you wind up in a role you do not desire to be in for a period of time.

Worked for Owens Corning? Contribute to the Community!

Owens Corning Videos

Owens Corning – Why Work for Us?

Compelling Careers Delivering Innovative Solutions Owens Corning has touched your life and the world around you in more ways than you can imagine. In fact, 2013 marked our company’s 75th anniversary of making products… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Owens Corning reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Owens Corning CEO Mike Thaman. All 101 reviews posted anonymously by Owens Corning employees.