Owens Corning

Owens Corning Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Owens Corning Chairman and CEO Mike Thaman

Mike Thaman

Pros:
  • "Mid-west culture lends itself to a strong emphasis on family life and work-life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Good people and caring managemant"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "business performance closely tied to housing market"
    in 5 reviews
  • "As mentioned work-life balance at HQ is not great for many roles"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Solid company, great executive leadership

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Owens Corning full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery well respected and well run company in the building materials industry. Has been the market leader for 70 years for a reason. I worked closely with the CEO and executive team - in my experience they are among the best

ConsBuilding materials is a very cyclical industry and the company is exposed to lay-offs as the industry cycles down as it did in 2008 - 2010. OC's headquarters in Toledo, OH is an OK, but not great place to live

Great Development Culture

Toledo, OH

I worked at Owens Corning full-time for more than a year

ProsManagement is very focused on your development, and growth. When you have gained the experience in a role, management is receptive to shifting your role. Upper management wants to develop talent internally... Especially if you would intend to remain in the Toledo Ohio area long term.

ConsWhile very development focused, high structure can mean you wind up in a role you do not desire to be in for a period of time.

Mediocre senior management... need to 'reboot the leadership' in certain sectors of OC's portfolio

Pros* Good operations function
* Dedicated people in the plants
* Very good early career development
* Best company i've ever seen at weeding out bad talent and firing them quickly (not sure if this is a ''pro" but they think it is)... some good talent is weeded out though because of this

Cons* Reviews are highly subjective... process does not require review with signatures as most Fortune 500s require. Anyone can give baseless feedback to your boss and ruin your reputaton
* VPs and Directors regularly shout, verbally abuse, and eliminate 'threats'. HR sits by and lets it happen. Then if you try to address situation, you will get labeled a troublemaker and you will be out of organization quickly. CFO and CEO seem to ignore outright abusive behavior by VPs / GMs and Directors.
* Culture breeds continuous 'separation' mindset where reorganizations happen every 1-2 years
* Clique culture is fostered between business units and regions and between competing managers... organization does not work together at all
* Very non professional - Culture enables open criticism of management who aren't there to defend themselves as VPs do it openly to undermine people
* Good early development is wasted as VPs are clueless on their own processes in their organization... soesnior management has no clue what the rest of the organization does
* They are very good at holding their power as they are not accountable for their results. Certain businesses have lost millions of dollars over the years, yet it is the same players leading the org. Middle management turnover is extremely high because of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementCFO and CEO need to examine the methods their underlings use on their people. Certain VPs know they will never be fired or accountable and run rampant on the organization.

Commodity market

I worked at Owens Corning full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are some really talented people working for OC.

ConsIt's average pay for extraordinary work. They know the market reference on pay and that is the target.

Advice to Senior ManagementEHS is not as good as they thing they are. Good people trying to do good work but a lack of plant manager understanding.

Very Political Company

Information Systems (Former Employee)

I worked at Owens Corning full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people I worked with at OC were always extremely helpful and friendly. The pay was good and the benefits were fair.

ConsThe company is pretty political with advancements and promotions as it's more about who you know and less about your talent and value to the organization. Work life balance is pretty non-existent, at least in some areas of the business.

Process Engineer

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
Jackson, TN

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat place to work.

ConsNo cons at the moment.

Good experience, good folks, good company

Columbus, OH

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople, Work Environment, Company outlook strong

ConsWorkload, bonus payouts, medical benefits expensive and confusing to use

Advice to Senior ManagementMore recognition of all employees not just Sales

Good intentioned but misses the mark.

Information Technology Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of seasoned employees that are willing to share their experience. Also the world headquarters is a nice facility. Heavy commitment to employee safety.

ConsDifficult to affect change as seasoned employees have a hard time seeing a different path. Headquarters parking lot is the longest lot ever -- arrive after 8 AM and it takes 10 minutes to get inside. Reorganizes constantly. Heavily reliance on outsourcing.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the matrix reporting to a simple org chart. Look for automation in your processes and don't rely so much on outside contractors -- you have people who can actually do the work.

Great company with little focus on the long term

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Owens Corning full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe CEO is great, and the old timers who have been there for 20+ years are top shelf

ConsToo much focus on the short term, several org changes in only a few years

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganizational design is a mess... simplify

Good benefits, World class thinking & facility, 3rd world execution and accountability!

I worked at Owens Corning full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits. Great facility. Good brand. Friendly people. Lots of networking opportunities.

ConsConstant meetings and discussions. No real actions and decisions be makde or taken. Lack of ownership due to matrix organizations. Heavily focus on "high quality" presentations and conversations, but not enough accountability. CEO and senior management team are in a small group and rarely engage with mid/ low-level people. CEO and senior management team are bright and smart, and they will make sure you know that when meeting with them. Overall, a company rides with the housing market, but doesn't have the culture and strategy to maximumize the opportunities given.

Advice to Senior Management1. Embrace the challenges and take bold moves to drive the growth
2. Do more with less talking and meeitngs

Worked for Owens Corning? Contribute to the Community!

Owens Corning Videos

Owens Corning – Why Work for Us?

Compelling Careers Delivering Innovative Solutions Owens Corning has touched your life and the world around you in more ways than you can imagine. In fact, 2013 marked our company’s 75th anniversary of making products… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Owens Corning reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Owens Corning CEO Mike Thaman. All 92 reviews posted anonymously by Owens Corning employees.