Owens Corning

Updated January 14, 2015
3.6

Owens Corning Chairman and CEO Mike Thaman
Mike Thaman

Pros
  • Mid-west company, decent work life balance if you work at the head-quarters, pay is fair at WHQ (in 11 reviews)

• Plant leadership teams and associates in most plants are great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is pretty non-existent, at least in some areas of the business (in 5 reviews)

• Company is very tied to the consumer housing market and have been experiencing economic issues as a result (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Improvements Needed but Provides great experience

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provided Challenging opportunities. Plant leadership teams and associates in most plants are great people to work with. Pay and Benefits are strong, especially with employer matching and bonus opportunities.

Cons

Horrible communication cross functionally and between plants and corporate. Outdated technology. Most people in leadership lead with instinct to put out fires and provide short term solutions and gains but they don't act strategically to plan for long term growth. Can be high stress and it usually results from making little problems into large ones.

See cons

Memorable

Current Employee - Safety in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Safety in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good safety culture from corporate, great people to work with within the plant, friendly environment, good benefits, comparable pay, challenging tasks

Cons

Poor communication, pushes employees into jobs they don't want, poor business management- hire then cut back and lay off, lack of policy enforcement, hard to prmooted from primary employee to salary employee,

The primary employees you have are very talented. Look to them when trying to promote. Also, work on communication throughout plants, from plant to plant, and from corporate to plant level.

Great culture, awesome people and global exposure.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Owens Corning (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leaders continue to challenge you and take you outside your comfort zone to help you develop. The employees are extremely caring and have high work standards. It's easy to stand to behind our products as they truly make the world a better place.

Cons

Company needs to take more risks and allow employees to fail to help them grow and develop. The pay for performance methodology can get in the way of a good team environment.

Great Company very focused on people development

I have been working at Owens Corning

Pros

Great people who are very knowledgable and easy to work with. Bosses are very focused on personal development. A lot of opportunity within the company.

Cons

Not many. Working in a plant sometimes demands strange hours. Must be somewhat flexible to work in a plant setting.

Great work environment, but need to be proactive about own growth and development.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

•Huge focus on health and safety
    •Strong brand recognition
    •Beautiful campus and great community commitment
    •Many growth and development opportunities, but expect to search them out.

Cons

•Not enough training which leads to a lot of miscommunication.
    •Leadership doesn't always focus on big picture

Stop relying solely on metrics to paint the picture. Data can be skewed based on who's pulling the numbers. Look more toward your people and customers to better illustrate the story.

A very good company with very poor medical insurance.

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training opportunities and advancement if you work hard. Very safety oriented. Good salary.

Cons

The benefits have to be the worst in the Fortune 500 companies. They make it hard to get a full bonus check. If you will have a baby you will have to pay about $7000 out of pocket.

Stop giving us this lousy medical insurance. I have to pay $7000 out of pocket for a baby? Really?!

Solid company, great executive leadership

Former Employee - Director in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Director in Toledo, OH

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very well respected and well run company in the building materials industry. Has been the market leader for 70 years for a reason. I worked closely with the CEO and executive team - in my experience they are among the best

Cons

Building materials is a very cyclical industry and the company is exposed to lay-offs as the industry cycles down as it did in 2008 - 2010. OC's headquarters in Toledo, OH is an OK, but not great place to live

Lacking Leadership but Great Technical Expertise

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Toledo is actually a nice community in the midwest and OC is a dominant employer. Average pay offset by reasonable cost of living. Product engineering are stellar folks.

Cons

Very political and male-dominated organization. It's who you know not what you know. Senior leaders seem to earn "tenure" and don't have to produce to remain in key positions while younger, hungrier individuals end up leaving for opportunities elsewhere. Old-school unionized environments lack progressive attitudes. Even in the '80's they seemed stuck in the '40's.

Diversify you management teams. Reward hard work with career growth and turnover the dead weight. Focus on core competencies rather than spreading thin across so many product lines.

KCK Plant SHAMEFUL!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my co-workers. The pay was decent. Employees were really helpful in training and giving uncut views on politics and history of company.

Cons

The work schedule was horrible and antiqated. The work enviroment was very unhealthy. The union was a joke. The job culture was counter-productive.

Build or do serious renovation of plant. Change work schedule. Improve emloyee training and work culture including eliminating favoritism.

Opportunities for you if you are a white American....not so good if you are black

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work is interesting, pay is decent. The company's focus on safety is very appealing, and managers (those who are good) will steer you in the right direction.

Cons

Very conservative company...if you are someone who can generate ideas and desire to see them implemented, look elsewhere. Also, being a minority( am a currently employed black engineer btw) I will say this. If you are a minority (woman or other minority engineer), your chances of progressing into leadership position or even getting promoted are very limited. I would advice that you look elsewhere. I will be leaving in 3 weeks for a better position, with bigger pay. And this is with a global company.

The middle management should just be let go. It is really killing us.