Owens Corning Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
128 reviews filtered by

1. Great work environment, but need to be proactive about own growth and development.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

•Huge focus on health and safety
    •Strong brand recognition
    •Beautiful campus and great community commitment
    •Many growth and development opportunities, but expect to search them out.

Cons

•Not enough training which leads to a lot of miscommunication.
    •Leadership doesn't always focus on big picture

Stop relying solely on metrics to paint the picture. Data can be skewed based on who's pulling the numbers. Look more toward your people and customers to better illustrate the story.

2. A very good company with very poor medical insurance.

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training opportunities and advancement if you work hard. Very safety oriented. Good salary.

Cons

The benefits have to be the worst in the Fortune 500 companies. They make it hard to get a full bonus check. If you will have a baby you will have to pay about $7000 out of pocket.

Stop giving us this lousy medical insurance. I have to pay $7000 out of pocket for a baby? Really?!

Lacking Leadership but Great Technical Expertise

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Toledo is actually a nice community in the midwest and OC is a dominant employer. Average pay offset by reasonable cost of living. Product engineering are stellar folks.

Cons

Very political and male-dominated organization. It's who you know not what you know. Senior leaders seem to earn "tenure" and don't have to produce to remain in key positions while younger, hungrier individuals end up leaving for opportunities elsewhere. Old-school unionized environments lack progressive attitudes. Even in the '80's they seemed stuck in the '40's.

Diversify you management teams. Reward hard work with career growth and turnover the dead weight. Focus on core competencies rather than spreading thin across so many product lines.

5. Opportunities for you if you are a white American....not so good if you are black

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work is interesting, pay is decent. The company's focus on safety is very appealing, and managers (those who are good) will steer you in the right direction.

Cons

Very conservative company...if you are someone who can generate ideas and desire to see them implemented, look elsewhere. Also, being a minority( am a currently employed black engineer btw) I will say this. If you are a minority (woman or other minority engineer), your chances of progressing into leadership position or even getting promoted are very limited. I would advice that you look elsewhere. I will be leaving in 3 weeks for a better position, with bigger pay. And this is with a global company.

The middle management should just be let go. It is really killing us.

6. Solid company, great executive leadership

Former Employee - Director in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Director in Toledo, OH

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very well respected and well run company in the building materials industry. Has been the market leader for 70 years for a reason. I worked closely with the CEO and executive team - in my experience they are among the best

Cons

Building materials is a very cyclical industry and the company is exposed to lay-offs as the industry cycles down as it did in 2008 - 2010. OC's headquarters in Toledo, OH is an OK, but not great place to live

KCK Plant SHAMEFUL!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my co-workers. The pay was decent. Employees were really helpful in training and giving uncut views on politics and history of company.

Cons

The work schedule was horrible and antiqated. The work enviroment was very unhealthy. The union was a joke. The job culture was counter-productive.

Build or do serious renovation of plant. Change work schedule. Improve emloyee training and work culture including eliminating favoritism.

8. Great Development Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is very focused on your development, and growth. When you have gained the experience in a role, management is receptive to shifting your role. Upper management wants to develop talent internally... Especially if you would intend to remain in the Toledo Ohio area long term.

Cons

While very development focused, high structure can mean you wind up in a role you do not desire to be in for a period of time.

9. Commodity market

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really talented people working for OC.

Cons

It's average pay for extraordinary work. They know the market reference on pay and that is the target.

EHS is not as good as they thing they are. Good people trying to do good work but a lack of plant manager understanding.

10. Very Political Company

Former Employee - Information Systems in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Information Systems in Toledo, OH

I worked at Owens Corning full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people I worked with at OC were always extremely helpful and friendly. The pay was good and the benefits were fair.

Cons

The company is pretty political with advancements and promotions as it's more about who you know and less about your talent and value to the organization. Work life balance is pretty non-existent, at least in some areas of the business.

11. Process Engineer

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work.

Cons

No cons at the moment.