Owens-Illinois

Be The First To
Add Photos

Owens-Illinois Chairman and CEO Al Stroucken

Al Stroucken

Great company, excellent people, typical big business problems

Engineer (Current Employee) Perrysburg, OH

ProsPeople at O-I are phenomenal and there is a relatively high rate of collaboration. Most corporate functions attempt to make trainings available and known to employees. Office culture is somewhat antiquated but depends highly on the managers. Most areas don't allow flex-time or remote working options.

ConsLower compensation for long time employees, high turnover in global leadership, some struggles with communication from top-down leadership to individual contributors.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany leadership has promise but needs stronger direction from regional presidents and other top managers. Significant disparity in compensation for long term employees versus new employees with same skill set or with even less experience.

Good place

Engineer (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsGood pay, hours are very flexible

ConsNo advancement in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementK

Production supervisor

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Tracy, CA

ProsHad full control of my department. I was not held back from making critical decisions. Plant operated by consensus not a one way . Most employees were easy to work with and wanted to learn and do their best. Plant manager would recognize and praise people for their efforts.

ConsCorporate making too many changes. Restructured the work force and job requirements. Lost several key people during this time and talent

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to focus more on training to strengthen the work force

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good stepping stone company not long term career

Engineer (Former Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsPeople are friendly. International company you get to work with people all over the globe .

ConsYou are 15% under paid. Company doesn't show loyality to employees they let go people with no warning or reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou cannot attract or keep good people because of pay scale. In addition trust in management is not there. I left the company because I was not going to put my livelyhood in your hands trust goes both ways. In addition my salary went up 18% moving to another company. Unless things change, good people will perhaps come but they will certainly leave for better conditions. This company could be a great company and would attract the best engineers and scientist if it respected its employees.

Good for the most part.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Pay and Benefits are acceptable.

ConsOld outdated building and equipment, parts not always readily available so inefficient modifications are made and left.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aware of whats really going on. Preconceived notions and guesses are not productive.

Long hours, good pay for an industry with no growth.

Quality Manager (Current Employee) Muskogee, OK

ProsChallenging, opportunity around every corner in the plant. Lots of room for improvement, which can be fun if you like a challenge. Additionally, the pay is above average.

ConsAt the plant, you are working almost every holiday. Vacations are difficult to take. Plan on working at least 1 weekend a month, on top of 50 hours per week. Loud, dirty environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company rewards those who are best at fire fighting and can get immediate results.

If you are a systemic problem solver, it will be difficult for you to succeed at O-I.

Used to be an excellent company

LSS (Former Employee) Perrysburg, NY

ProsSome great people that sometimes is useful in teamwork.

ConsPoor leadership, a lot of traveling, low tech plants, sometimes there is no support at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out while you can

Hard to keep

Batch and Furnace Supervisor (Current Employee) Lapel, IN

ProsSalary is one of the best values + 12% bonus at the end of the year.

ConsToo many hours to work, work/life balance impossible

Amazing

ProsGlass is Life, Product that is beautiful, Mission

ConsThere are no cons to working for this company

packer

Packer (Former Employee) Muskogee, OK

Prosgood benefits, decent salary, nice co workers

Constoo many young people in manager positions that don't know anything about the job. They can't get older experienced people to take them because there is no incentive. They have worse health insurance, have to wait till 65 to retire or lose pension money, they do get bonus but they have to spend more on insurance benefits so where do they gain? If you want quality people in management positions you need to have a better package then the hourly and they keep cutting theirs. They work long hours, I have seen some managers in there from 6 am till 9 or later at night if things aren't going well.

Advice to Senior Managementstop hiring idiots to run the company. They need to have more than a bean counter attitude to run this co. They need to know something about glass and how the process works. Fix things, you can't keep spending overseas and not fixing your base in N.Am. You have tanks ready to fall in and you keep pushing back dates to fix them. Someone is gonna lose their life if they fall in.

Worked for Owens-Illinois? Contribute to the Community!