Owens & Minor

Be The First To
Add Photos

Owens & Minor President, CEO, and Director Craig R. Smith

Craig R. Smith

Pros
  • I can't speak for everyone at O&M but every person I have worked with at (in 5 reviews)

• Met some great people working there (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance wasn't there and this was not a concern for the upper mgmt (in 3 reviews)

• O&M has changed over the years and their focus on the important things has slipped by the wayside (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Not what I expected

ProsDecent pay and opportunities for advancement

ConsPoor technology. They do not give us the tools to provide good customer service to our customers. They also work off of several different systems that do not communicate with eachother. Lots of manual processes

Was a good place to work but has become less so in recent years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsDecent internal training program
    Comp plan is OK when bonuses are achieved
    Open work environment

ConsLeadership is dysfunctional at times
    Pay is less than average for other companies
    Senior Management will put you in the doghouse based on perceptions, not results.
    Good people have been leaving in recent years

Severe lack of management, associates are left alone to run a muck.

Order Picker (Former Employee) Franklin, MA

ProsDecent pay. Not like CVS.

ConsLack of supervision, associates running a muck.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a better eye on your kids.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGiven the opportunity to succeed by management and staff!

ConsToo many Sales Managers hired from outside the corporation that don't really understand the medical/surgical distribution and sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from inside the organization.

Management is horrible

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ashland, VA

ProsThere are a lot of good people that work there.)

ConsCommunication is bad, I find out whats going on from coworkers before I hear from management. Management does not address internal problems asap. Days/nights can be long (10hrs+).

Advice to Senior ManagementLack of recognition from management with the same cheap t-shirts every year gets old. Little to no training for new hires causes major problems for everyone.

Friendly company but only mediocrity and friendships are rewarded

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Mechanicsville, VA

ProsVery friendly environment with lots of ammenities including gym, auto detailing and cleaners.

ConsOnly mediocrity is rewarded. Too many political and personal issues for this company to make a real change and significantly advance and prepare for the future. Moreover, there are too many people in managerial and director positions not based on merit but relationships. As a result, many departments are improperly managed as the heads do not understand the industry or their own job functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet past the political drama before all of your good talent leaves the company as a result of poor compensation, unfit management and few opportunities for advancement.

Too many changes, to often, to gain growth traction.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsSolid business experience. Large ticket, complex sale. Solid understanding of P&L to be successfully.

ConsUpper management constant change does more to derail business than help business grow. Needs to find new growth engine and not try to make it fit into four walls of the distribution business to be successful. Distribution is a commodity. Diversify!

Advice to Senior ManagementTop leadership team needs fresh ideas to grow. Core top leaders are victims of groupthink and spin the same old ideas over again and again.

Account Management

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThey have very good Health Benefits.

ConsHorrible, horrible compensation as compared to other competing businesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into the new millennium, before your best employees have all gone over to the competition.

Manager

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI can't speak for everyone at O&M but every person I have worked with at O&M is honest, hardworking and easy to get along with.

ConsThe pay could be higher however the fact that I like who I work with makes up more than enough for the slightly lower pay scale.

Ok place to work, but I did not stay there.

Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsI was a contractor at Owens and Minor through Dell Services in 2011 doing supply chain related programming and support.
    1. The people are mostly nice and the corporate office was nice.
    2. I was allowed to work from home a good bit of the time.
    3. It was a good experience learning more about supply chain and logistics from the medical supplies side of things.
    4. The company seem's to have good goals and vision for the future.
    5. The pay was ok as a "contractor".

Cons1. They asked me to convert to perm, but I did not take a perm job with Owens & Minor because the salary wasn't competitive. it seemed like the salary they expected me to take and the job title was a bit behind the times.
    2. I had to support after hours ( on weekends and nights sometimes ). The support was part of the job, but I just don't think it was something I wanted to do long-term.
    3. I feel like although it was a good place to work, there are some politics related to the whole O&M and Dell Services relationship that made it difficult sometimes to figure out exactly what to do with time reporting, etc because its almost like you are working for Dell and O&M at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf people need to work on the weekend outside of emergency support, please respect them and schedule the work before the weekend. Also, the job titles and salaries were not in line what is the reality in the software industry. If you guys want good people, you need to pay competitive salaries.

Worked for Owens & Minor? Contribute to the Community!