Oxbow Carbon

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brian Acton

Equipment operator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood living wage for Chicago land area.

ConsPlant permanent shut down

Advice to Senior ManagementStart selling more product , so they can start the plant up again.

Good place to work. Benefits are competitive, and living / working in West Palm Beach is not too shabby either.

Manager (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsBenefits and compensation are competitive; bonus' are paid when possibe. Lot's of good people to work with. Low turnover allows for people to really know how things work and not be a revolving door. Senior managment are approachable and actually remember you / your name. This does not happen in companies with thousands and 10s of thousands+ unless you are part of the top 1-2%. Not being a public company allows for some sanity away from decisions to meet your quarterly earnings, sometimes at the expense of better decisions by public companies. As Oxbow is smaller in people than its industry peers (1,000 vs. 10,000+), it is surprisingly nimble and you can make an impact much easier than the oppostive = lot's of people but very little capital and profit per person.

ConsSome offices / plant locations to work in can be a challenge, especially in the more industrial areas in the southern US and remote areas in Europe / Asia. The travel associated can be a bit tiresome getting to those remote locations. I would say an expected amount of 'how we do business' compared to other companies this size and capitalization. Coming from a 'small' company (<200), or a 'large' one (>5,000) does require getting used to the culture; especially if from a different industry or business sector.

Great Health Benefits, decent pay, nice bonuses (but can be unpredicable)

Accounting and Reporting (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsThere are very high quality employees here, slackers are not tolerated. The business is complicated and offers a lot of opportunities to learn. Managers are able to manage their staff how they see fit which offers a lot of flexibility in scheduling and work distribution. Technology, software and systems are ahead of the curve and everyone is provided quality computers and any software that is needed for their job.

ConsLimited hiring from within, the company is more likey to bring someone in from outside rather than promote from within. Some disorganization as to the direction where the company is going. Overall a good company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess knee jerk reactions to the problem of the moment and better planning would be advisable. Also, stay the course once a plan is in place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job,good benefitis ,great people for the most part

ProsGreat place to work,good benefits,good insurance ,I could retire here except for the reason noted in the next section

ConsMicromanaging supervisor( only reason I would leave,and I'm looking)
    Able to bank vacation days but then not permitted to take them thus losing days by reaching the maximum

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proactive with mid management
    Would like to have an employee handbook...if there is one I haven't received it yet

Worked for Oxbow Carbon? Contribute to the Community!