Oxfam

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Gaventa

Pros
  • Good, in-depth training on all aspects of working in the store, generally pleasant and flexible working environment with friendly team members(in 3 reviews)

• Relatively good salary (for the sector), great benefits, committed people(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Can seem removed from the field work on the ground(in 2 reviews)

• different culture between people, must have organisation in company(in 4 reviews)

Oxfam Review

Humanitarian Campaigner (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood values, good work environment, chance to create change

ConsLong working hours at times

One of the top humanitarian aid organization, but still problematic

Program Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsOxfam has the funding, and internal structure to allow it to respond to humanitarian emergencies fast, and relatively effectively-- this is what makes it a leading organization in the field of humanitarian aid.

ConsEmergency aid is too top-down. The higher-up directors in regional and headquarter positions make executive decisions with little consultation with field actors. Often these decisions hinder the ability to work effectively on the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsult people working on the ground in field offices (including program coordinators) when making decisions that affect their work. Institutionalize bottom-up feedback mechanisms from field offices to regional and global directors.

consultancy services

Administrator (Former Employee) Beirut (Lebanon)

Proseasy working , flexible company and good salaries plus traveling

Consdifferent culture between people, must have organisation in company

Advice to Senior Managementhave a sense of humor with employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

life changing

Shop Manager (Former Employee) Ipswich, England (UK)

Prosmaking a small difference in the world one day at a time

Conseverything is keyed up to help the volunteers NOT the paid staff

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to those on the front line !

A very decent company

Project Manager (Former Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsHealthy, friendly environment. Flexible working hours. Good management. It has been a pleasure working for Oxfam and having the chance to visit many locations both in the UK and abroad so as to fully understand the extent of its action and the benefits it brings to the needy.

ConsQuite a low pay considering equivalent jobs in other companies. Benefits almost non existent. Oxford is a very expensive area to live in and no compensation is offered whatsoever. Alternatively if you chose to live further away, again no travel compensation is offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more staff friendly. Beneficiaries should not be treated at the expense of the staff.

Great organization for entry level professionals to learn and get trained.

IT Officer (Former Employee) Kabul (Afghanistan)

ProsWide range of training and growth opportunities if you are hard worker and make your work visible to senior management.

ConsRules and policies are implemented long back ago and not keeping up with the latest technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in technology and give opportunity to young generation.

Amazing experience

Cashier (Current Employee) Henley on Thames, England (UK)

ProsIt helps overcome famine, natural disasters, illnesses, etc. Oxfam and all its workers work hard to help all these people suffering in many different countries around the world, not only in Africa as many believe but also in Latin America, Russia, etc.

ConsWorking alongside many people from different sectors can be challenging but I have learnt from this brilliant experience so much knowledge and experiences that I can use in other aspects of life. I am very proud of being able to say I am part of it!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is brilliant. The manager focuses in the shop, customers and workers making us all feeling always welcomed and cared for! She works hard but she is doing a great job!

Lovely people in Oxfam

Shop Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEveryone wants the company to succeed

ConsYou have to deal with a lot of rubbish and even theft

Advice to Senior ManagementCome and work in a shop

Working with Oxfam makes you feel helpful

Volunteer (Former Employee) Guildford, England (UK)

ProsI'ts great volunteering with Oxfam, you feel like you belong there, although a lot of work needs to be done, you feel like it's all worth while, you feel like you are helping vulnerable people where ever there is a crisis.

ConsThere is'nt much negative aspects with volunteering with Oxfam, although reaching monthly targets was a challenge but it's all to do with putting your soul and energy into the charity because you know that the more we push ourselves the better the outcome is, more people get the help they need elsewhere

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the 3 years I worked for Oxfam I did not use petty cash what so ever, And by doing so I saved Oxfam quite a bit of money, what would be good is if you gave an insentive to people who did not use Oxfam money for their personal expences, for example they could win something through a raffle etc

every changing days

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosfriendship between the team in the shop, a day goes very quickly,each day many treasures come in and it is exciting getting the goods sorted and priced, out on the shop floor and sold. after all one persons rubbish is another persons treasure.

Consrude customers, no benefits,no staff discount,very rare protional prospects.

Advice to Senior Managementinteract with your volunteers more often and praise them make them feel respected and valued, after all its not just the shop manager who should be saying these things.

Worked for Oxfam? Contribute to the Community!