Oxford Global Resources

Oxford Global Resources Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Oxford Global Resources President Mike McGowan

Mike McGowan

Pros:
  • "unlimited earning potential, skys the limit"
    in 7 reviews
  • "30 year old business model of a very successful company and consistently put in the time and effort that it deserves the sky is the limit"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "7am meetings every day, long hours, bad base pay, upper management does not care about future of employees"
    in 9 reviews
  • "micro-management, WILL NOT MAKE 45k your first year"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to work for.

Billing Manager (Current Employee)
Beverly, MA

I have been working at Oxford Global Resources full-time for less than a year

ProsBig company with small time feel.
Great management, willing to listen to advice and talk things through.
Great benefits.
Great lcoation.
Trying to work in change to make departments more efficient and working better together.

ConsNot everyone is open to change and there is a lot of change occuring at Oxford. When you do not have everyone on board that makes it hard to manage.
Emails are the hardest item to keep up with here at Oxford. You can receive 10-15 emails on the same subject with people on the email that don't necesarily need to be on the email.
People that have been here a long time are a little too comfortable with the way they communicate with fellow employees and especially their managers

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the field better, both recruiters and Account Managers with getting information needed for assignments more complete and in a timely manner. Training them to train K's and cleints on approving timesheets and expenses in a timely manner in order to process pay. I feel the biggest issue at Oxford is the field.

Start hiring more new people and weeding out the old.

Hard work is rewarded here at Oxford!

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Oxford Global Resources full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOxford promotes within when ever possible. Oxford was my first job out of college and I was promoted to a Branch Manager within 3 years. I've had the opportunity to move and open new offices in several different states. My career started at Oxford and I plan to retire from Oxford.

ConsThe company has changed alot of the years. In the early days work-life balance was tipped heavily towards work. It's much more balanced now but the company remains focused on rewarding those who work hard and get results (so really not a Con) One of the cons is technology. We are still behind the times and need better remote access and mobile technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reward current employees with the best incentive package. Make sure salaries are in line with the industry. Focus on staff retention. Expedite development of new CRM system.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Oxford Global Resources full-time for more than a year

ProsOxford will promote their employees from within 99% of the time. The organization as a whole is growing rapidly leading to many opportunities for both upward and lateral career movement. Many great benefits such as tuition reimbursement and company stock purchase discounts for employees.

ConsMany of the internal systems being used are outdated. Communication between different offices is also something that could be worked on.

It's a phone job

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Oxford Global Resources full-time

ProsYour co - workers/ teammates, lots of training, team managers try to help you be a successful account manager or recruiter. Better like making 150 outbound calls per day & have at least two & a half hours of talk time per day on average to stay in managements good graces, it is a phone sales job so make sure you understand what you are getting your self into. Benefits are good. Commission rates can be good depending on the length of assignment / hourly rate of for the contract worker you place.

ConsBase pay compared to other firms in the same industry. Some of the training is repetitive & a little bit much. The changing standards for what constitutes acceptable/ good talk time & amounts of calls.

Great commission potential with stable, growing company

I have been working at Oxford Global Resources full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompetitive, fast paced environment that rewards hard work and dedication; You can earn great commission at Oxford if you put the time and effort in; takes about 2-3 years to earn six figures. High potential to be promoted quickly based on performance. Thorough training program perfect for those new to the IT and recruiting industry. Good overall benefits package includes stock purchase plan, 401(k) and health insurance.

ConsSometimes too much emphasis on hitting the numbers and not enough focus on results. Tendency to manage senior staff too closely to those metrics. High turnover is perhaps due to the intense focus on numbers, lower than average base salaries, and/or hiring the wrong people to just fill seats. Higher margins are difficult to achieve in a highly competitive industry. Promotions are often based on performance only so many managers are not good managers but rather good individual performers who lack the management skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease base salaries, have a team dedicated to get contracts in place with large clients, more focus on results over the daily detailed numbers especially for senior staff, more promotion opportunities and different titles (e.g. there are many "manager" level roles but no director level roles).

Overall Rewarding

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oxford Global Resources full-time

ProsThe opportunity to build a career which allows for one to achieve success in a variety of areas. For example while working here I have bought two new vehicles (cash), bought a house, got married, started a family, etc... Overall this position throughout my 5+ years has provided me the opportunity to achieve a lot.

ConsUpper Management (Directors, VPs, etc.) - buddy system;

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on ensuring that senior level people have opportunities for advancement...or you will eventually lose them.

As a consultant, Oxford provided me tremendous professional experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oxford Global Resources

ProsWorked for a large company who stayed on the cutting edge of technology. Worked with project managers who kept everyone on schedule

ConsNo corporate promotion, always worked as a consultant.

I am part of a company that recognizes how important each individual is.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oxford Global Resources full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI contribute to a company with a unique business model as it becomes the best-of-breed.

ConsOnboarding is our greatest shortfall. The job of field staff tends to be so skill-specific that it can be difficult for them to be competitive by the time we need them to.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe as open as possible to the differences new field employees can have for learning the job. Be prepared to commit 100% of your time to developing new employees.

Good for entry level recruiters to learn the ropes of the industry.

Technical Recruiter (Former Employee)
Madison, WI

I worked at Oxford Global Resources full-time for more than a year

ProsThey will hire you without any prior experience. You are shown the industry basics, and given a good chance to succeed early on. If you do land jobs for your candidates, the commission is typically high. The people that work there are really great, and you will probably form great friendships with them.

ConsThey are completely metrics driven. Unless you are a rock star, landing jobs left and right, you will find that you are constantly hounded for your lack of production. The pay is horribly low, and the expectation they give you for your first year (what they tell you in the interview) is horribly inaccurate. Tons of turnover. Get stuck doing the same boring morning meetings each day, which are basically on repeat every month or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have so much turnover, don't just consider the fact that the staffing industry in general does, and think no more. Do something about it! Give your employees a reason to stay, and help them succeed. It will generate them more money in the process, and they will love their job for other reasons too. Constant scare tactics and warnings about performance aren't great motivators, so only use them when you really mean it.

Tough place to last....

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oxford Global Resources full-time for more than a year

Pros-laid back dress code
-cool people
-uncapped commission with decent bonus structure
-PTO (after 6 months)
-will take college grads with no experience

Cons-had to work 46 hours a week in Beverly office, and thats getting paid peanuts if your just starting out and don't have any sales
-takes a really long time to get ramped up, to get a good network of clients, takes a year minimum (and thats generous) of making peanuts ($28K/yr)
-mark ups WAY to high, oxford is the most expensive firm out there, so you will lose business to competitors
-extremely competitive, so many firms out there, and companies wont work with us because of oxford bad rep of charging to much and being to aggresive
-crazy micro management, if you dont meet their metrics, your job is on the line, thats averaging at least 125 phone calls per day, 2.5 hours phone time, everyone calls movie hotlines and never ending directories to meet these goals
-turnover rate is terrible, once someone works there for a year and realizes that the job is terrible and leaves, the managers and senior people pick their network of managers and take the good accounts while giving the scraps to the new guys

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about you lower your mark up standards to open up more business, its not 1984 anymore when Oxford thrived in a new market where there was no competition. Oxford is going down the tubes, there are so many mom and pop staffing agencies out there than charge way less for the same product.

Worked for Oxford Global Resources? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oxford Global Resources reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oxford Global Resources CEO Mike McGowan. All 100 reviews posted anonymously by Oxford Global Resources employees.