Oxford Learning Center

Updated August 15, 2014
Updated August 15, 2014
3.9

CEO

They take care of their teachers

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Oxford Learning Center part-time for less than a year

Pros

Since most centres are small, you get to know all of the staff. They really want you to understand the philosophy behind their program so they really take the time to train you properly.

Cons

Most centres employ teachers with specific qualifications to teach specific subjects (especially at the high school level). This can make booking time off difficult, because it's not simply a matter of having another teacher step in. Management is usually quite flexible, and is willing to step in where they need to.

I worked at a Toronto location as a math tutor.

Current Employee - Math Tutor  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Oxford Learning Center part-time for less than a year

Pros

I taught discrete math, calculus, as well as various elementary school math topics. It is a good place to work for an hour or two in the evening (after 4 pm) if you live close by.

Teaching kids is fun, especially if they are smart and like to be challenged.

Cons

I guess it depends on the location, but I can't imagine calculus and upper high school level math tutors getting much work. I was told I would get about 12-15 hours of work a week. I would take public transportation (for one hour each way including 1 transfer) to and from the work location to work on average about less than 2 hours.

Sometime they would have me come in to work and then when there are only 4 math students that show up, I would be told to go home since the other math tutor has seniority. This other math tutor would then tutor all four students.

I was the only one however capable of teaching calculus and other first year undergrad topics. Whenever there was a student taking an upper high school level or lower undergrad level course, they would have me come and tutor, but there were few such students, meaning I wasn't getting many hours.
    Calculus is obviously a more difficult topic to tutor than elementary school math, but the easier students would be given to the other math tutor, so she was getting way more hours than me.

I got fed up with taking on the more difficult students and being the first person to be told to go home when there were not enough difficult case students to tutor.

Be forthright and honest to prospective employees about how many hours of work a week to expect.

It was okay

I have been working at Oxford Learning Center

Pros

met various people, easy work, flexible

Cons

wage, last minute phone calls, can be stressful if you hate kids

n/a

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun Atmosphere, great learning experience

Former Employee - Marketing  in  London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at Oxford Learning Center

Pros

Flexible hours, great environment, open-minded, work directly with leaders

Cons

Communication barriers, project management issues

Great job for advanced college student or elementary school teacher

I worked at Oxford Learning Center

Pros

- Great opportunity to help students
    - Great environment to work in; can be very exciting to see kids succeed
    - Always a new challenge in getting through to a child or teaching advanced material to adults

Cons

- Can be noisy and chaotic during most popular hours
    - Attention was sometimes divided too thin to be useful

- Only hire tutors students can look up to
    - Move kids that are disruptive to times when they can be worked with alone

Worked for Oxford Learning Center? Contribute to the Community!