Oxford Tutoring Center

oxfordtutoring.com

Oxford Tutoring Center Reviews

3.4

CEO

Great job for a College Student Wanting an extra buck (SES Math Tutor position)

Former Employee - SES Mathematics Tutor in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - SES Mathematics Tutor in Glendale, CA

I worked at Oxford Tutoring Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great job for a college student. If you want to have experience in teaching this is very much an entry-level position you could get into if you have no experience in the field.

Cons

The hours are very limited and afterschool. I was working anywhere from six hours to maybe fifteen hours a week. This all makes this job a fit for a student.

My manager Genoveva was great. Always had great conversations and everything was very understandable.

Worked with underprivileged kids and improved their grades...

Former Employee - Tutor in Riverside, CA

I worked at Oxford Tutoring Center as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Oxford gave me the opportunity to motivate foster kids and now I have a different outlook on life.

Cons

Sometimes the students may be difficult to work with but you have to be persistent. Students might cancel last minute and you have the choice of doing office work.

Have some work mixers or outings so that we can get the chance to get to know each and every one of our coworkers.

Horrible

Current Employee - SES Tutor
    Current Employee - SES Tutor

I have been working at Oxford Tutoring Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You work with children, if you like that, then you will enjoy that aspect of the job.

Cons

PLEASE READ

-Materials given are incredibly overused. I got pushed in markers, broken crayons. I was supposed to get a tablet to work with the students but never received it. You can tell how little they care about the child's education. The managers are inadequate; hardly answer back e-mails. If you change your schedule, they get it messed up. They messed up my paycheck, as in not sending me one because one wasn't even made. It's a business that is ran poorly. They don't know what they're doing. 17 an hour looks promising, but you get a small amount of hours and the parents cancel often. They also have you input your sessions on their website, AND mail in a signed attendance sheet every month, as in having do write a note every time you tutor isn't enough. I am happy this is temporary, because I could never understand how one could think this is a job worth keeping.

Quit.

Oxford Tutoring

Former Employee - Tutor in Riverside, CA

I worked at Oxford Tutoring Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hours were flexible, and could be changed easily.

Cons

Management treats this center too much like a business. There needs to be people designated for certain tasks.

Treat it less like a business and more like a school.

Tutoring for SES programs

Former Employee - Program Manager in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Riverside, CA

I worked at Oxford Tutoring Center part-time

Pros

You were able to see the growth and development of students.

Cons

CEO of company doesn't appreciate employees as much.

Care about your employees and give them the recognition they deserve.

Good beginning job for students

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Oxford Tutoring Center

Pros

The manager I have is super nice and efficient. She gives you time-off days away when you truly need it. She also is very diligent with telling you about schedule changes and helping you with your students. I would work for her forever if not for the lack of advancement opportunity and low pay. The management is super nice people, and it is great as a starting job because the company really stands by your side. However, you are required to do a lot of notes and reports.

Cons

You get the same rate for SES tutoring even if you have a higher degree/more experience/or a better tutor period. You won't get the same stable paycheck a few months after the school year starts, as the students available for you at the district will have depleted, and you might have to drive much further to have more students. Also, there is no driving compensation!

Pay raise is a must for more experienced/better tutor who has higher degrees.

Oxford Tutoring Center - Great job for the starving college student

I worked at Oxford Tutoring Center

Pros

First off, the primary location is close to UCR. Almost all employees are students at the nearby campus. They are very flexible with changing your hours based on your class schedules, such that you can come in for a quick 2 hours, go to class, then return for an additional couple hours.

Working at OTC helps develop your speaking skills since you spend the majority of the time one on one with students. It has been a very valuable job to hold while in college because the constant review of high school math and sciences helped me significantly with understanding some of my more difficult college courses.

Cons

Pay increases are very minimal. I felt that my inital wage was sufficient, but I never really had a major pay increase. I became more valuable for the company, but felt less appreciated for the growing work load I inherited.

The worst is when students cancel, because you show up to work and will probably do some office work in which the pay is substantially lower.

When proposing a wage increase for employees, increase the wage for the OTC office work. At OTC please figure out a way allow for appropriate breaks for tutors that stay in the center for longer than 4 hours straight with students.